Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    You are a legend bud.

You can always improve the graphics stuff if need be who gives a toss what it looks like at the moment. I'm impressed that you've got all those different elements working you should be commended for that and the effort you've put in.

Have you tried teaming up with 3d artist? Surely theres people out there learning or improving their skills looking for a project to join as practice. Would have thought your project would be ideal for someone like that.

Good luck bud anyway and keep it going. No matter how good\**** this game turns out ill give it a razz out of respect for your effort.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @ GRaylord:

I'll say the problem is the skeleton I'm using for this project whick I plan to discarrd as soon as its done...here is a model I made for another project:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @ Graylord and Fraktalzero: Thx for the crits. I'll look into that. I have been watching a lot of tutorials.
    @OozeSlime: Thx...Its a little bit of both. I am trying to lean UDK, but I also want to release this project, but for free.

VLog 05: [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckw5QPjpqDA

New Update:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by juguefre View Post
    Ok I have mixed thoughts about this thread, from the artistic point of view I'm on the side of the people bashing you for the poor quality (and I'm way too polite with that appoint).

But I'm completly astonished by the level of commitment you show.....I mean this is just like watching one of those silly movies of rocky.....they beat him and beat him and beat him and beat him and HE JUST KEEP COMING!......but this is the real life and you might realize at the end of your project that you have a finished product that no one wants other than yourself, is that what you want? and from the learning side of view....well you are trying many things but I can't see a single one of those at good level at all.

Just think! forget about the people saying "lovely", "amazing", "nice work" you know they are lying right? I can understand why they lie but the problem is they are encouraging you into failure (if your goal is to learn some discipline useful for gamedev), if you are doing this just for the fun of it then is perfect and you need nothing more. But I don't really think you are doing it for the fun.....this thread is not fun at all, so you have to be trying this to really learn and that's the problem.

You can't learn the way you are doing it, is like starting to learn mathematics and at the very same time you are studying physics, chemistry, trigonometry, differential calculus, etc, you already realize you need to learn the numbers first and then addition, substraction, multiplication, division, and all the rest before getting into the other areas. That's the giant problem you have right now, you don't know the fundational basis of 3D art and you already jump into production.

I know is exciting to do advanced things but you are not even learning at 10% of the speed you could be if you focus the infinite amount of energy and stubborness you apparently have, the people telling you how ugly your models are they are telling the truth no matter if they are mean or harsh that's plain truth, if this thread were about religion and I was a believer you should be a blasphemer and not because you want to, right? Try to go back to the basis of 3D and texturing is going to be boring as hell but it will worth every single minute you spend studying that.

Man I'm not writing this because of jealous or envy or because I want to blow up your straight flawless learning path is because the complete opposite, you clearly have a functional brain but being mediocre in many fields in not going to help you in ANY WAY, you can always say "that's not my field" but you can't say "I have no field" well... you can say it, but you already know what I mean, right? just think about your join date is more than 3 years! in that time lapse you could become a good artist/programer, but I don't see that anywhere or are you hiding the good stuff? do you want to go another 3 years at the same pace?

The choice is yours I was just pointing the facts. Good luck with whatever you choose.
    I think it all boils down to for what Keltar wants. If he wants to learn UDK in general, and don't mind having poor models, then great. But if he wants to sell this... Well...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I agree with Graylord. As an artist I would say it requires a lot of dedication and specially an open mind to learn, but this is applicable to everything. Read books, watch tutorials, do some practices on anatomy without completing a full character. Try drawing at least to learn the basics, (specially for character modelling). And don't give excuses of why is not working. When is not working, be honest to yourself, and you'll improve. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Seriously.

I have to commend you on your dedication. But if you'd actually listen to people and follow their suggestions, study and learn instead of staying stuck in your own methods you'd be way better by now.

I've seen tons of people going from complete amateurs to absolutely amazing professionals in the same amount of time you've been dabbling with the same stuff and only getting slightly better. Most people actually tend to get pretty good already by their third character (if they've put in proper effort). You've made, what? 15 characters by now? And the latest is hardly any better than the 1st. I'm terribly sorry for sounding so harsh, but it's the truth.
    If you'd just make an honest attempt to learn, instead of repeating yourself, you would have actually been quite good by now. Keep at it like this, and we will see pretty much the same stuff 10 years from now, and you'll be even 9.98 years further behind in quality than what you already are.

Making the same object 100 times doesn't make you get better when you make the same errors 100 times and never learn from them.

Seriously, read some books, watch some tutorials, learn some techniques, study anatomy, study texturing, study UVMapping, study modeling, get tons of references, explore and experience lots of styles, learn from others. And most of all, get out of your comfort zone (even though your current zone shouldn't honestly be that comforting), as it will improve your techniques by the ten-folds.
    Stop making unjustified excuses, you're only fooling yourself, not us, it's not our time you're wasting, it's your own. I'm honestly concerned for your own sake with the amount of time you've wasted so far, and how much better it could have been spent.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Aide to vladimir drugov. Watchdog of the militia.

I had to redo the mask of the Berrano soldier...The oroginal kinda looks like judge Dredd...pretty wack.

[/QUOTE]

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello again, guys. I got more goodies:

New Vlog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e83JV...q0CBpw&index=1

New Update:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks, Dude

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Nice 3D art there..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    New Crouch Animation

[/QUOTE]

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Jessica pride.

Aide to vladimir drugov. Watchdog of the militia.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    More Chars!!!

Stephen Torrent/J Durant

Both EGB Officers.

Vladimir Drugov/Militia Mecenery

Vladimi Dugov is a fomer EGB Colonel and Now leader of the Militia.

VLog!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Res...q0CBpw&index=2

Dugov Showcase:

...Editing...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @ Derp Sorry if I sounded arrogant. THats my main problem, the bulkiness of the UT3 male char...but if I want to bind my char to that skeleton, I figure its the way to go.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The UT Models tend to exaggerated in some human aspects, the shoulders, feet, barrel of the chest are all enlarged to suit the art style. Not understanding the shape and anatomy of the human model and simply "using reference" won't entitle your creations to any form of beauty.

I know I'm being harsh, but your previous posts seem as if you put off the vibe that you've learned everything you need to. Game development is a tough subject, you want to create a game all by yourself? Sure, it's completely possible, but not without the EDUCATION (and money). Skill isn't something you gain overnight, ignorance to criticism will only do worse in the long run. With all that in mind, do you know what I suggest?

Take a break off your project and focus on refining your skill.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X