Leave a comment:

• replied
    Very cool. Keep up those animations!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thx, Agent

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Keep at it. Make your vision come to life!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    NEW CHAR:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @ Felipe
    Gawd that was a giant leap in skill. Thx for the encouragement.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I created an Account just to say this

KEEP GOING MATE

Sure they'll laugh now. Ignore them.

Some people will critique your work. Learn from them*.

This is my first animation ever, my college profesor tought that I should stop doing whatever I tought I was doing after he saw this:
    http://vimeo.com/2243207

This is what i'm doing now:
    http://vimeo.com/15312479

No I wont stop, and neither should you.
    Let them laugh all they want.

KEEP GOING!

*I do realize that there has been constructive criticism in this thread, and I agree, go to cgsociety.org and also do watch some gnomon dvd's

Leave a comment:

• replied
    New Weapon...the cruncher:
    Click on Pic for vid

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

this is supposed to be for the bosses

Caultons excellent work!
    http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/6379/post1o.jpg
    http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/5213/cave4o.jpg

Leave a comment:

• replied
    New creature!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi41x...el_video_title

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Another flythrough of the map I've named Khoum (dont ask why). Also showing of the anthill and an alien plant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4uSL8JCK9Q

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by cridia View Post
    If you don't mind, let me give you some critique on what I have seen so far.
    Wow, awesome critique. We are still working on this, but your ideas should help a lot. I am fully aware that I like to over use the bloom in almost everything that I make. I'll try to bring it down a bit.

The terrain is still being worked and lots of detail and meshes are still being added. I'll try to implement as many of your ideas if I can. Keep um coming. Thank you.

Loved what you said about the lava too. I'm working on that.

[SHOT]http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/1777/alienmh.jpg[/SHOT]

Updated Lava material:
    [SHOT]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/4255/lava3.jpg[/SHOT]

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If you don't mind, let me give you some critique on what I have seen so far. Keep in mind that nothing is meant to be insulting; they are just how I observe the current state. I will limit myself to the environment.

First of all, the glowing plants.
    Frankly, I cannot see those plants work. First of all, if you are going to include vegetation, it is best to make decent patches of it. This includes plants who would, logically wise, grow first such as grasses. Your world seems a bit too barren to support plantlife, especially those big ones.

Then we have the glowing bit. For the plants to actually feel like they belong there, you are going to need to place more vegetation (and more variation with this vegetation apart from color). In this sense, the glow is simply overkill. If each and every plant glows the way they do in the footage we have seen, you will be attacking eyes, rather than pleasing them. Having flourescent plants is not a bad idea, but don't overdo it. For instance, keep the glowing bit to the actual flowers, instead of the entire plant. Make certain families of plants that glow, while the rest doesn't. This also gives you a good chance to work out their place in the eco-system; a plant with an unique ability to glow is bound to attract some other things nearby. If the plant's fruit (or even just the plant itself) then serves as a food to them, you have a good explanation of why the plants should be there.

For instance, in the mockups I have made for my game so far, I have used flourescent shrooms to use in caves. The reasoning behind this is that these shrooms do not need light to photosynthesize and can therefore survive in a dark environment. They survive on mineral dust which they absorb through tentacles sprouting from the top of the shroom. In order to process this dust so that it can be used for nutrients, they create a byproduct that gives off light. I am meaning to add small fireflies to it, who feed on these shrooms and in doing so take into them the same substance that makes these shrooms light up (hence, the fireflies). Humans in my world use the shrooms to determine whether caves are good for mining, as these shrooms live on minerals and therefore are a good indication of healthy mineral veins.

I admit that I tend to go deep into reasoning why things exist in the worlds I make, but I feel that this is a good example to give your world a bit more depth. Even just simple reasoning will do I think, but always keep in mind that you need to convince the player of the reality of your world. If the player is not convinced, the player will definitely not like it.

For the alien anthill, I have the same advice; you seriously need to cut back on the glowing things. Bloom is not something you should use liberally; bloom is an effect that is best used in moderation.

For the terrain, someone already gave some good pointers, so I won't be repeating them. As for my 2 cents;
    First of all, everything looks the same. Everything is using the same texture, but even rock has variation to it. Pebbles, rocks, sand, sand floors, all these things can be used to spice up your rock environment a bit.

Another thing that comes to mind when looking at your terrain screenshot is that it seem like it was extruded with a meshsmooth; a very easy way to make "terrain" in 3D studio max. Unfortunately, because it is easy, it will also look that way. Your environment for instance feels like a bunch of extruded "spikes", for a lack of better words. Rocks do not just point upwards. For instance, have a bit of rock portruding out of the side to spice things up. Rock walls do not have to go straight up after all. For instance; a photo I quickly googled.

I would advise you to do a bit more research before you continue on with the world. Look up photos on mountainous areas and nature in general. Even just googling photos will do wonders in the beginning.

Last but not least, I took a look at your magma implementation on youtube, added on the 17th. I am not sure whether it actually is part of your game (if it isn't, then you should disregard this last bit), but since it made use of the same assets, I am going to assume it is.
    This is a place where bloom is at place (though I would ease down on the amount; personal taste), but it is a shame there is no lighting especially since the magma makes for a large lightsource.

What I would advise is to make your lava less red by putting on some hardened bits (black) to vary it a bit more. Now, your lava bit is one giant lake of red and red is quite a dominant color. Breaking it up a bit would do good in the long run me thinks.

Something that looks rather out of place are the particles below the magma. Magma is not a transparant liquid; it is supposed to be syrupy. Meaning that when you fall in you cannot see anything (well, you should die instantly, but let's just assume we are made of superman for a moment); especially no explosions below the surface. As for the explosions, unless an entire army has just decided to run their tanks into the magmalake (hollywood style), explosions are not very likely to occur within magma. The only thing that would feel likely here is to have boiling bubbles on the surface of the magma. This would, now that I think of it, actually be a very good addition too.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    just figured I'd give my two cents, even though I have nothing but plenty of years of gaming experience to give.

1st off, your terrains look like **** most of the time.
    The textures are good, but the way they're set up is awful. try adding some bumpiness into the walking path, and make the mountain ranges less vertical, only enough so that you can't get out of the map. Then try adding some false mountains farther away to add some sense that your not just stuck between two wall, but that your actually in a world where things exist.

2nd, the details are pretty sparse right now, (I assume you'll be adding more)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thx, Alexin!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Looking good. Keep up the work!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X