Bioshock Inspired (now with download)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I really enjoyed it! I just kept wanting to see more textures going on.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thank you, Marcus. That's very high praise. I hope everyone will feel the same way when they play my level in the upcoming (unannounced) game I'm working on.

And thanks Drevlin, good to know!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think these are excellent. You know what I like most about them? I don't feel like I am looking at a "level". They look like a real location that was inhabited by people. People lived there, but something tragic happened and now they are gone. These shots almost tell a story on their own. Well done.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    you can tweak AO in world properties. Not the SSAO but ya know, the baked one.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's light mass only. The results would have been even more solid if I had hand-crafted the lightmaps like I had done with the cathedral map. To be honest I often don't like the effect that AO gives. The dark outline around things makes the scene feel too cell-shaded.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Downloading! I'll get back to you.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Looks really cool. Someone said about a lack of colour, but I think it's really good - very subtle, but it works. Nice job

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Very clean and nice. Did you bake AO or are you getting these results entirely from Light mass?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Excellent work, very impressive.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wow, thanks Drevlin! I hope you'll let me know what you think of it.

Max, I agree that a thorough materials job would add a whole new level of impact to this, but my strengths are in level layout, plot, and architecture, but not so much on the EA/texturing side of things. I wanted to focus on my strengths, here.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    I decided to make this available for download.

http://www.filefront.com/17359053/UD...rshas-Arts.zip

That's everything... UDK executable, 3dsMax files, Presentation doc.

sueds, my workflow is included in the presentation doc:
    Good stuff! Will check it out later today. Thanks for sharing!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is nice looking. I enjoyed the layout, and that you implemented working doors and such.

I wish you had done more textures/materials. I feel this could be so much more. That said, you did a nice job with the lighting to hide this face.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    oh thank you ! that's really generous of you

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I decided to make this available for download.

http://www.filefront.com/17359053/UD...rshas-Arts.zip

That's everything... UDK executable, 3dsMax files, Presentation doc.

sueds, my workflow is included in the presentation doc:

Day 1: The first day was spent brainstorming and napkin-sketching. Though I had an idea of what I wanted to do, much more thought was needed in order to completely visualize it. I also spent a great deal of time exploring Fort Frolic and taking screenshots, both of architectural details and of the gameplay spaces.

Day 2: A basic model was created in Google Sketchup in order to give my ideas a concrete form. Sketchup is the tool I used the most in school. It allows you to create quick, simple, and precise diagrams, which can then be exported into other programs. This Sketchup model was then exported into the UDK where it was used as a template for the creation of the basic BSP for the main area.

Day 3 – 6: With the basic BSP in place, I was able to begin detailing out the space. In order to be completely precise with the BSP version of the map, the BSP geometry was exported directly from the UDK into 3dsmax, where it could be used as a template for the construction of architectural meshes such as columns, windows, and arches. During this time I also developed two additional areas as well as numerous small changes to the original brushwork as special and design issues arose.

Day 7: After sending this map to several design colleagues, I implemented changes and additions based on their feedback. Because I was also still a day away from my self-imposed deadline, I indulged in some ‘wish-list’ additions which were not fundamental to the design but I felt were fun additions, such as the placement of buildings seen through the windows, and the creation of a few more scenery meshes.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Digital Nightfall,

Really like the work, I like the scale of the environment and I also like the lighting. There are some areas I would change. The scene seems to be lacking assets populating it making it feel very empty at points. Some variation in lighting colour would also improve the scene and highlight some of the really interesting features of the environment. I do like the feel of the monochrome but even some brighter lights might add to the scene. Also the water material looks a bit funny in the last screen, would look awesome with a nice cubemap on it
    Overall I really like the way your scene feels, for some reason I find it threatening and eerie!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X