Bioshock Inspired (now with download)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bioshock Inspired (now with download)

Thought I'd share some work I posted to my flickr account a while back.

Highres_Screenshot_00003 by shirakloutzu, on Flickr

Highres_Screenshot_00005 by shirakloutzu, on Flickr

Highres_Screenshot_00008 by shirakloutzu, on Flickr

Highres_Screenshot_00009 by shirakloutzu, on Flickr

Highres_Screenshot_00013 by shirakloutzu, on Flickr

Highres_Screenshot_00022 by shirakloutzu, on Flickr

This was a fun exercise that I probably won't do anything else with. That's seven days of work. With a few exceptions (statues, easel, sinks) all of the meshes are mine, though the furniture is stuff I created last year.

It looks a bit empty and colorless, but other than that it looks really cozy, I'd say. Looks like an underwater metro station. Really nice work!

Comment

Bioshock used alot of contrast and cyan lighting in it's design, but this looks very nice in an architectural kinda way...

Comment

If you'd like to work on a post-apo adventure (oldschool style) game, msg me, please. I could use your skills as a level designer ;]

Comment

The benefits of this work is that 1: it has good scaling, which does not make it look like a miniature model [not like in Bioshock]. 2: it is not overloaded with details and colors, that again, might make it look like miniature/toy kind of candy thing - not serious. This one is serious and nice, i would say more realistic [of course it needs some elements/colors but in proportion].

Comment

i think its really good!

the layout/scaling/lighting is superb!
            keep it up

Comment

Looks pretty awesome

Comment

I like this one, man. Kudos!
                As already mentioned, some colour in the environment would be nice.

Comment

Thanks, everybody! I think I just like working with monochrome environment colored only by the lighting or other subtle effects. I have some lushly detailed and textured work (full color!) for an upcoming UDK game that I am sure the members of this board will see in due time, but of course I won't be showing you that stuff myself.

Thanks for the comments on the scale. I think proportions are one thing alot of beginning level designer don't quite nail, and it's nice to see some people like what I've done here.

Thanks for the offer, Kaldrick, but I've already got a game design job!

Comment

I actually like this better than the Bioshock (1, didn't play 2) atmosphere. It looks like it could be a real happy place! (with some additional lightpoles to make it a bit brighter)

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Bearhands View Post
                      I actually like this better than the Bioshock (1, didn't play 2) atmosphere. It looks like it could be a real happy place! (with some additional lightpoles to make it a bit brighter)
                      I second that. Bioshock was a bit too heavy on detail and it kill the overall ambiance.

Comment

could share a your workflow for this project ?

Comment

Hi Digital Nightfall,

Really like the work, I like the scale of the environment and I also like the lighting. There are some areas I would change. The scene seems to be lacking assets populating it making it feel very empty at points. Some variation in lighting colour would also improve the scene and highlight some of the really interesting features of the environment. I do like the feel of the monochrome but even some brighter lights might add to the scene. Also the water material looks a bit funny in the last screen, would look awesome with a nice cubemap on it
                          Overall I really like the way your scene feels, for some reason I find it threatening and eerie!

Comment

I decided to make this available for download.

http://www.filefront.com/17359053/UD...rshas-Arts.zip

That's everything... UDK executable, 3dsMax files, Presentation doc.

sueds, my workflow is included in the presentation doc:

Day 1: The first day was spent brainstorming and napkin-sketching. Though I had an idea of what I wanted to do, much more thought was needed in order to completely visualize it. I also spent a great deal of time exploring Fort Frolic and taking screenshots, both of architectural details and of the gameplay spaces.

Day 2: A basic model was created in Google Sketchup in order to give my ideas a concrete form. Sketchup is the tool I used the most in school. It allows you to create quick, simple, and precise diagrams, which can then be exported into other programs. This Sketchup model was then exported into the UDK where it was used as a template for the creation of the basic BSP for the main area.

Day 3 – 6: With the basic BSP in place, I was able to begin detailing out the space. In order to be completely precise with the BSP version of the map, the BSP geometry was exported directly from the UDK into 3dsmax, where it could be used as a template for the construction of architectural meshes such as columns, windows, and arches. During this time I also developed two additional areas as well as numerous small changes to the original brushwork as special and design issues arose.

Day 7: After sending this map to several design colleagues, I implemented changes and additions based on their feedback. Because I was also still a day away from my self-imposed deadline, I indulged in some ‘wish-list’ additions which were not fundamental to the design but I felt were fun additions, such as the placement of buildings seen through the windows, and the creation of a few more scenery meshes.

Comment

oh thank you ! that's really generous of you

Comment

Working...
                              X