Basic Chess Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic Chess Game

I've been working on a chess game in my spare time. I'll update this post later, but here's a video of what's working so far:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5QC8JiLb1Y
    Working:
    • Preliminary Decal System for the tiles
    • Basic Camera Rotation and zoom control
    • Pawn clicking (base for pawn selection)

TODO:
    • Team Gameplay using the team classes
    • Login functionality
    • Basic AI Bot
    • Pieces placement in board
    • Game board checks (checkmate..)

NEWS! 07 01 2010

New video! :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xUhHdPQCvE

Added:
    • Preliminary Pawn Code
    • Possible moves calculated by pawn
    • Preliminary PlayerReplication(Possible Pawn moves) and GameReplication(Pawns positions, board state)
    • Decals with states (error, selected, etc). Two layers: mouseover and info.
    • Teams, maxplayers=2. Pawn controllers added to teams to handle player movement. Multiplayer!

TODO (soon):
    • Finish pawn movement
    • Add turn based logic in GameInfo
    • Pawn attacks!

TODO (later): every other thing left to do!

It was really difficult to understand TeamInfo and ReplicationInfo classes (I'm not sure that I understand them 100% yet), but they kinda work.

I wasted two whole days trying to change the bots skins based on their team, but on the last day I decided to scrap everything about that because I would need to implement families and other stuff I dont understand and are not needed yet.

Well, lots of work to do! Thanks to everyone that has helped me in the forums, and thank you for reading this!

NEWS: 07 03 2010

Moved movement logic to pawn, doesnt need to be replicated!
    Finished replicated movement!

Now I've gotta finish the attacking and then the turn based movement...

New video too! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yx2Ba13wQs

Oh this is interesting will the players be able to have the avlib of model porting so as to create thier own custom set of chess pieces? As an example me being a Fan of Cyber Punk Anime, I'd create a ADP Chess set myself Leon and Priss being King and Queen while Nigel and Dr. Raven would be the bishops Mackey and Sylia The Castle Nene and Linna as The Knights and have a Set of ADPD Officers as The pawns. is this going to be a possible with this project?

Comment

I love chess and I challenge anyone to a game. Even though I will probably loose, it's always fun to play. Well this is going to be a tough one to go about making. If you do make it to the end, hopefully you will continue to go the route your taking with the skeletal meshes. Just having actual characters that move and animate is very fun to see.
      There is a lot of room for creativity when it come to character interaction, Queen to pawn, etc. I assume it will work out in such a way as (if this character touches this character, then play this animation, and destroy mesh or pawn. Different animation for even if a pawn takes a knight, or a knight takes a queen), However you do it, it's going to be cool. I would play it all day. Or lose all day. Good luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jade-Phoenix View Post
        Oh this is interesting will the players be able to have the avlib of model porting so as to create thier own custom set of chess pieces? As an example me being a Fan of Cyber Punk Anime, I'd create a ADP Chess set myself Leon and Priss being King and Queen while Nigel and Dr. Raven would be the bishops Mackey and Sylia The Castle Nene and Linna as The Knights and have a Set of ADPD Officers as The pawns. is this going to be a possible with this project?
        This is really interesting. The idea is to be able to change the order of the pieces in a different game mode. "Skins" for the pieces are not out of the question so far and would add some degree of customization.

Originally posted by Winwarproductions View Post
        I love chess and I challenge anyone to a game. Even though I will probably loose, it's always fun to play. Well this is going to be a tough one to go about making. If you do make it to the end, hopefully you will continue to go the route your taking with the skeletal meshes. Just having actual characters that move and animate is very fun to see.
        There is a lot of room for creativity when it come to character interaction, Queen to pawn, etc. I assume it will work out in such a way as (if this character touches this character, then play this animation, and destroy mesh or pawn. Different animation for even if a pawn takes a knight, or a knight takes a queen), However you do it, it's going to be cool. I would play it all day. Or lose all day. Good luck with it.
        I hope to achieve this, but you've gotta know this is my first UDK project, and my first game also. I've worked on this for the past months (reading a lot) and right now I'm only beggining to make the multiplayer side of things. I know nothing about animations, so so far all my pieces are going to be UDK robots :P

Thanks for the inspiring messages. I really hope to finish this someday

Comment

I made a new video, posted in the first post of the thread.

Comment

Bump! New video! :O

Comment

Great idea of transforming a traditional 2D game into 3D (Battle Chess was simulated 3D).

This would work really well if you had custom teams and colors! I came up with a 4-16 player chess game that might work well with something like this. Contact me if you're interested!

Comment

Working...
              X