UDK Multiplayer Map - Colosseum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UDK Multiplayer Map - Colosseum

Hey Guys, I hope I get some opinion and advices on my very first map with UDK.

So I proudly present, after a lot of work (about 3 weeks )

Colosseum

Mode: Deathmatch
    Player: 8

Key elements:
    - Wide open map for a good view and tactical thinking
    - 3 different layer for tactical positioning
    - Main spot in the middle of the map
    - Very high movement and a good flow within the level
    - 1vs.1 situations on the outer ring, 1vs.X action in the middle ring

Setting:
    Colosseum is a very stony map with wood, like in the old medieval times. The bottom is a green acid pit. The map is very bright and lighted and has a wonderful open sky. Everything should remember the player on an old colosseum where the ancient warriors fought to their death.

Self made features:
    - Fire particle effect
    - Moving clouds over the ground
    - Blood and splatter decals
    - Wood materials for top and bottom
    (Just want to mention that, because I´m especially proud of that ^^)

Video:
    (video shows the beginning to the end of the project in a few steps)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mAU5JwlMhE

Screenshots:

Mirror for the download:

http://www.2shared.com/file/JfdDx-5L/Colosseum.html

http://www.wikiupload.com/JynSeXfL

http://rapidshare.com/files/39780823...sseum.rar.html (not recommend, rapidshare just sucks ^^ )

How to install:

Put the "Colosseum.udk" in \UDK\UDK-2010-04\UDKGame\Content\Maps
    Put the "MyPackage.upk" in \UDK\UDK-2010-04\UDKGame\Content

The MyPackage file is needed, because I used some own materials and decals.

If possible give me some good tipps and advice how you like the map, or dislike the map. If I should change something, if the map makes fun and so on.

Any answer is really appreciated.

I like the process video that showed steps.

I ended up coming up with quite a bit. I suggest pounding into the documentation to get more details on some of technical stuff. I wrote more than I normally would. Hope you don't mind.

File setup:
    You may want to adopt a more standard naming convention. For example, you released a package with a default filename (MyPackage). Not setting these up will get in your way next level. Also, prefixing your files, such DM-Colosseum. The same goes for your content.

Speaking of content, your materials can benefit from using parents. Instead of having six unique materials for decals, you only need one, and plug the textures into MaterialInstanceConstant. Luckily this level doesn't contain a lot of unique materials, because after a while not having them setup really gets to be a drag.

Art:
    Excessive use of brushes give dated appearance. Brushes are used as the base of a map or to blockout ideas. Most end up replaced or covered by more detailed static meshes. I suggest opening up DM-Deck to use as an example of how things could be better handled. If you press 'W' (toggles static meshes), you can see this in action. Of course, this is just your first map, and it's a big leap into what Epic is presenting. It's often a process of creating a few maps before someone gets the hang of the tech.

Ways you can use static meshes. The wood center support structure could be wood planks placed out in circle with support beams and rope tied around sections, hanging off, wood support angled into the stone structure. This leads to wood and rope debris that can be used anywhere. Something like this:
    http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/...Rca0207_03.jpg

I've heard a lot of different terms for it, but the bathtub was the most recent. This refers to whenever the player looks up or finds the edges of a level all to be abrupt and ending around the same height and visual distance. This is a side effect to the way you've enclosed your level. Back to DM-Deck, in the open, center area around their 'bathtub' is antenna, larger structures, pillars, debris, and large distance buildings. This type of sky detail helps ground the environment as part of something bigger. Also (and there's a lot more on this later), gives the player location points to know where they are.

Design:
    You have to be really careful Using symmetry in level designs. Being this symmetrical, similar detail and item placement makes it difficult for the player to know where they are. Blocking off certain paths and areas creates battle choke points and memorable locations. Unique areas for specific weapons add to knowing your location. Some CTF levels which have mirrored layouts, but unique bases make great examples of how symmetric levels can still be unique.

I often find it's easier to get a more interesting level by building fun, unique areas and connecting them to avoid letting symmetry dictate design.

Comment

Man, I don´t know how I should thank you. This is a great answer, and it helped me a lot. I´m really into advancing my skills and I really like all ideas from you.

Next map I will do, I will take everything you said, and try to make a better map.

The reason why I did a symmetric map is that the player does not have to think. It should prevent a good flow for the player. But you might be right. I also think that player want to think and learn.

Really thanks for the answer.

Comment

Working...
      X