Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Hey everyone,

It's been a month or two since I last worked on this, ended up dropping the project in favor of continuing work on GraviNULL.

However when updating my ModDB profile today I decided I might just as well hand out the Source code, so maybe someone interested in the project will take it over and maybe fold it into a new interesting form. And ofcourse hopefully let's the project come to a release

You can download the project source code at the following location:
    http://www.moddb.com/members/ducksau...ia-source-code

It's not really "playable" since there's only 1 level and no win condition but you can "play it".
    It was created with the March 2010 UDK build.

Feel free to do with this code what you want(as long as it's within the limits of what the UDK license allows :P), since I only started this project for some fun and learning with little intention to actually finish it.

I would appreciate though if you can leave a small note with me(Yorg "DuckSauce" Kuijs) as the original founder of the idea, but that's up to you.

What I would like even more though is if you decide to pick up this project, to let me know as I'd love to know how it will fare in someone else's hands.

If you wish to "play it", just unzip the above file and launch Binaries/UDK.exe, then select Instant Action>Deathmatch.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well got onto it and now I have a pretty good basis for a gamemode.
    Check out this video if interested.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Finally got a good idea for a gamemode, although still some issues, which maybe some of you have some idea's/inspirations for to help me out with that again.

First the gameplay though.
    Yesterday I played a game called Viricide
    A free webgame where blocks and circles go about the screen, instead of being directly enemies though they just move about passing through the screen and your goal is to survive, side goal being gathering "bits" to upgrade yourself you can do this by destroying the blocks and circles.

So for FluoTopia I thought of doing something similar to that, make my red lights where the energy balls were flying around into something that moves and an "enemy" the player can still grapple them.

The energy balls would also move into and outside of the screen and also be "enemies". The basic concept would be the same as Viricide, your goal is to survive. You can grapple the red light points to dodge the other light points and energy balls, you can use the energy balls to destroy them as needed(see above post with video on how you swing the balls)

My issue now though is that if I simply lock the camera and not the let the player leave that "starting area" it's probably going to be too small.

I've though of combining a camera blocking volume and a player blocking volume farther away ... but the issue is that it could be disorienting or annoying for the player if the camera suddenly clips, plus I need a believable "blockade"

In the spirit of light and dark, I've thought that enemies are "darkness" and come from the dark area of the map, the player is "light" and his play area is the only lit area, if he gets outside of it the "darkness" will massively dampen his speed and basically act as a cushion of sorts to prevent the player from travelling too far outside.

Why do this? Well I think enemies should be spawned outside of sight and be able to leave sight, so something needs to stop the player.

I'm not sure if I can make a believable looking situation with the light and dark idea though, but it's my best, unless ofcourse anyone can provide me with some enlightening idea's.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's since been renamed to FluoTopia.
    With some small inspirational advice from danimal I improved the slingshotting system a little so it's a bit more realistic.

I've also dimmed the light in the room alot and instead added PointLightComponents to each particle based entity.

The result can be seen here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHYI4VQDv80

One issue I have though is now that the LinkBeam can hit both the Fireflies and the grapple points, there's a collision problem as I don't know how to filter out certain entities. Meaning Fireflies will block the grapple points, which is eventually supposed to be the only source of movement thus it's an important problem.

I've explained the problem in more detail here: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=726504

For anyone willing to help me out

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Looks very cool, grapple mechanics for the win!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Haven't been doing a whole lot on it(playing games) but after some brainstorming I got the idea to have the grapple be able to grab and sling the energy balls so they can be used as weapons instead of food.

The current result can be seen here.

As you can see it's a bit rough, but working basically.
    My biggest issue is that I was imaging it'd require some swinging around to give it speed, as you can see now though all that is needed is just flicking the mouse really fast when releasing the mouse button to sent it flying really fast.

If anyone has any idea's/suggestions on how to approach that, please drop in a post.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Come into the Thread Hoping for a Space Sim, like the TV Series FireFly

But good work I like the way your going

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Seems fun. I personally am getting pretty tired of Minesweeper and Hearts.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Winwarproductions View Post
    a game that can be adored on an Iphone or PSP. If you want something fun to play while traveling. In other words a money maker.
    That's not what I'm aiming for at all though.

Just a free game for the PC.
    Hence my ponderings on a good gamemode for it, it's aimed at singleplayer play, so it's regardless not meant to last long. However it should last at least an hour or two, with replay possibilities.

That's more or less my goal.

There's alot of potential gameplay possibilities here, I'ts just troublesome picking the right one to start off with.(there's a potential for more gamemodes if the first is a success.. if the first is a failure I'll likely be directing my efforts at my other planned project)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    "Danimal's" perspective is different though. For yours it seems like a game that can be adored on an Iphone or PSP. If you want something fun to play while traveling. In other words a money maker. That's where gameplay comes in. Maybe set up a health sytem. What if you have to grapple your way to the top. Make it look like a linear game. If you hit the outer walls then you get shocked and loose energy. Mean while random things are coming at you hendering you from grappling on. You had tiny little balls that you were collecting on your video. Well those can be used for you to collect to make an outburst of energy to kill the random silly enemies coming at you. However they might look. Everytime you collect them you increase power and your attack increases as well.
    More of a top down type game than perspective. Just need to have cool visual, and you probably need to explain why it's a ball of energy to kind of match the purpose of the background. However you want to do it. That would be a cool game to me. I'm sure there is plenty like it, but this one would be yours and could be better.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Piranhi View Post
    the mechanics are usually easy to think up, although not always easy to implement. Creating a fun and exhilarating game though is much harder..
    So true!

Gonna take some brainstorming on this one.
    Any idea's to drive my inspiration along are more than welcome.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Looks like a good start, I like the grapple as well, very similar to what Danimal has been doing. It'll be interesting to see how you develop this into a game, as the mechanics are usually easy to think up, although not always easy to implement. Creating a fun and exhilarating game though is much harder.

Annyway, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread so keep up the good work.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic FluoTopia, Source code made available

FluoTopia, Source code made available

FluoTopia is a little UDK project I've been working on slowly for a few weeks, but now it's been a month or two since I last worked on this, ended up dropping the project in favor of continuing work on GraviNULL.

However when updating my ModDB profile today I decided I might just as well hand out the Source code, so maybe someone interested in the project will take it over and maybe fold it into a new interesting form. And ofcourse hopefully let's the project come to a release

For a short video of what's it's like see this video

You can download the project source code at the following location:
    http://www.moddb.com/members/ducksau...ia-source-code

It's not really "playable" since there's only 1 level and no win condition but you can "play it".
    It was created with the March 2010 UDK build.

Feel free to do with this code what you want(as long as it's within the limits of what the UDK license allows :P), since I only started this project for some fun and learning with little intention to actually finish it.

I would appreciate though if you can leave a small note with me(Yorg "DuckSauce" Kuijs) as the original founder of the idea, but that's up to you.

What I would like even more though is if you decide to pick up this project, to let me know as I'd love to know how it will fare in someone else's hands.

If you wish to "play it", just unzip the above file and launch Binaries/UDK.exe, then select Instant Action>Deathmatch.
Working...
X