Terrain Material Test WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Wow, this is so beautiful! Thanks for posting this.
    I tried it with some of my own textures and painted the mask myself, but the result isn't nearly as good as yours...
    I know you must be very busy atm, but if you could find the time, could you (maybe, if you'd be so kind) share the textures you used?
    If you don't want to, it's okay though
    Thanks and keep up the good work!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just replying to follow the thread. Great work s'far, everything looks great. love the addition to the trees.

Thank you for posting your Chromatic Aberration post process btw.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Whats your shader complexity look like?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by whammes View Post
    @Veshch: Thats Just a (Multiplyer) and a (Clamp low=1 high=2), since it gets multiplied with the diffuse texture the lowest value needs to be 1 so it doesn't drop to black, hence the lower clamp of 1.
    It looks like it's [Constant Clamp: min 1, max 2]<-[Multiply]<-([Fresnel] + [???])
    It looks like the ??? is a constant but I don't know what you'd have it at, as well as the exponent for the fresnel.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @TheDopeFish: I have been busy making Hollywood movies instead, but I still do a lot of game dev stuff in the little spare time that I have.
    Yeah, they tend to pay a bit more than the game industry

I'm glad that you atleast do some game development in your spare time. It's a pity whenever talented people is "wasted" in other industries than game dev

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks guy and you're welcome.

@TheDopeFish: I have been busy making Hollywood movies instead, but I still do a lot of game dev stuff in the little spare time that I have.

@Veshch: Thats Just a (Multiplyer) and a (Clamp low=1 high=2), since it gets multiplied with the diffuse texture the lowest value needs to be 1 so it doesn't drop to black, hence the lower clamp of 1.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Amazing work. The lighting is perfect. I think too often you see a lot of "dark sunshine" in levels but you really hit the nail on the head.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    First off, tremendous thanks for sharing your work. It's a nice learning experience.

The Diffuse Fresnel box isn't shown in any of the closeup images. Do you mind saying what's in there? I've mapped out all of the nodes besides those. It's a little hard to see some of the connections but I think I've gotten them right.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think all that can be said is summed up in this image:

[shot]http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/3517/vlcsnap2010010403h20m58.png[/shot]

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Really nice looking environments and materials Whammes!

How come Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy is the only game you made levels for (with exception for Tenebrae)?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Great work there whammes, very relaxing for eyes.
    Any chance you can make one camera flytrough video of that first environment.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey Scott,

Sorry for the lag of updates, I'm currently busy with a big job.
    Anything in particular that you are interested in?

cheers,

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sorry to dig up an old post but have had this favourited as I would realy like a tutorial on such a technique, so just wondering if there is one as there was some mention to a possible how to in this post.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    wau..very nice shader and pp work done here..i especially like the CH.A. shader...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Jiff,

I have a special tool a friend wrote for me to generate normal maps and ambient maps from simple diffuse textures. Unfortunately i can't release this tool, but you can just great it in any 3d app using the diffuse texture as displacement and render it with an ambocc shader.

I love to see what you have done with my material setup, do you have it posted somewhere?

cheers
    Sorry for the late reply, I have been busy with work and my GC decided it didn't want to play any more so I have not been working on it of late anyway I got a new GC so back on with it

Me and my partner are using your setup to shade an island map created from a heightmap (512 x 512) and the effect is getting there now! We initially had problems with the mask you used (I'm assuming that it was for an entire but small static mesh) as we were getting loads of great detail and shading but only at a distance! Anything close started to look a bit low detail but we set the UV to 512 x 512, once I lowered it to about 64 x64 or lower it looked great but no longer followed the contours of the map so we decided to use it as a 'base coat' for the terrain with a more random mask just designed for blending and its looking pretty good but still needs some more work.

I will get some screens up asap, prob next week. Could you let me know if were correct in thinking that you mapped a small terrain and that is how you were able to get round the LOD? Anyway thanks for sharing, I would have never dared to take on such complex shading without your help

Cheers,

J

PS. thanks for the crazy bump advice, I was using Pixplant but both seem to have strengths and weakness!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X