No announcement yet.

Portfolio showpiece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's really starting to come along! You should make this into a VCTF or something, it would be amazing to play..

Comment

man, your stuff is great! and DOF effect is really cool!

Comment

Cheers guys. Yeah the DOF might seem a bit excessive in a still screenshot, even though you complimented it, but actually playing the map it looks just right.

Comment

I just wanted to throw in there that the more unique objects you have the more RAM you use, but duplicating objects uses a lot less per object. That may be why it's crashing so much. Or maybe it's just this version of the UDK that's giving you problems.

Make sure you get the April version next month.

Comment

Yeah, I'm trying to instance as much as I can, I think have around 50, maybe 60 unique objects in the whole thing. I'm hoping the April edition is better, I've also had problems with the groups tab grinding UDK to a halt when it's open, doesn't happen straight away, but about 20-30 minutes into working.

If it doesn't fix it, then I'll be forced to make my map smaller

Comment

I've been pretty busy working on other projects so this has taken a back seat, also, as it still crashes when bringing the lighting information back to UDK from Swarm, I've been forced to get rid of around 1/8th of my level. If I want to add the level of detail in I had planned in the beginning then I may have to reduce the size by 1/2. I'm just hoping the next UDK build sorts it out.

Anyway, here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgtOYC2HZqA

It's about 60-70% finished now.

Comment

I like it a lot, but if I can make one tiny crit, and this isn't unique to you, it's sort of an issue I have with most Unreal stuff that people make. Although I like the idea of "stylish" lighting, it combined with heavy post effects makes everything pretty monotone. Look at the screens on the front page, they're largely all one color with little or no contrast. Your work is actually fairly consistent with how a lot of people do it, so at some level, maybe I'm the weirdo But I personally find it to be way too much sparkle and dazzle, draining the scene of any contrast. Oddly, if your scene were Brown instead of more Orange, I bet more people would notice/complain since id did that for years. To me its a similar thing I see with heavy post use. Just my 2 cents, it really is cool though!

Comment

Cheers, yeah I agree with you. The next piece I do I'm going to create myself from scratch including all the assets so I'll have a lot more control of how the level will pan out. I've had a lot of sources of inspiration over the last couple of months which have changed my perspective on how levels should look, the latest being the temple scene by Baolong.

Comment

Slightly random, but I was just reading pixologic's interview with the Mass Effect 2 art team, and it pretty much nails my point on the head:

"Lighting was one of the big jumps we made in ME 2. If you look back at the first game you‘ll see how washed out everything looked compared to ME 2. We needed to bring back the contrast and saturation in the game." http://www.pixologic.com/interview/mass-effect2/3/

They also really toned down the use of several post effects since they discovered that it really washed out a number of effects (specularity, normal maps, etc). Anyways, they say it better than I can so... what they said Anyways, it's just a tiny crit, the overall design and look is georgeous, somewhere between Sandstorm and Necropolis.

Comment

Working...
                    X