Platform game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Platform game

Hi everyone, I thought I'd share with you all a video of a project I'm currently working on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF7k4re0ERE

(Sorry about the framerate - I'm running on a netbook)

The concept is like a 2.5d platformer, but instead of being limited to left and right, you can actually turn into the screen at certain intersections (either by clicking on arrows which pop up, or, as in later in the video, by just using the up/down arrow keys). As you can no doubt tell, I am no artist and the level design is atrocious at best. However, I've made this proof of concept because I think that it could be a really fun type of game.

I think that this concept would be especially suited to an RPG style game, as you could deploy 2d platform elements without gutting your ability to make an immersive and explorable world. However, I think that this would add a nice touch to any 2.5d platformer out there.

I don't think that I will be able to take this concept much further, given my total lack of artistic ability. However, I would love for someone else to pick up this concept and make a fun game out of it or incorporating it, which is why I'm posting here.

I'd love to hear everyone's opinions/comments!

This is very, very cool. It wasn't made in kismet was it?

Comment

Nah, I didn't use any Kismet for this, its all unrealscript. Truth be told I haven't learned how to use kismet yet, though from what I've seen I seriously doubt kismet would handle it, and even if it could, we're talking over 1000 lines of code here: it would be a pain in the *** to make that work in a graphical environment.

I uploaded another video of this for another thread in order to demo transparent walls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOjVY0OXr3U

Comment

Originally posted by CaptAmazing View Post
        Nah, I didn't use any Kismet for this, its all unrealscript. Truth be told I haven't learned how to use kismet yet, though from what I've seen I seriously doubt kismet would handle it, and even if it could, we're talking over 1000 lines of code here: it would be a pain in the *** to make that work in a graphical environment.

I uploaded another video of this for another thread in order to demo transparent walls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOjVY0OXr3U
        I figured that. By the way, the transparent walls thing is really cool.

Comment

I would absolutely love to get my hands on that code and design a metroidvania type game with it, it would be so much fun. Any interest in releasing it?

Comment

I watched the first video and decided that it's a nice start, but I didn't like the way you turned corners. It was kind of disorienting.

Then I watched the second video with the transparent walls and I fell in love with you. It looks awesome, and it seems to work very well. Congratulations, and keep up the good work.

Comment

Yeah, the invisible wall thing is really cool. How did you implement that?

Comment

I absolutely love your invisible walls stuff, look around the programming forum theres a few guys been talking about this in another thread and could probably do with you putting them in the right direction. loving the work though man very fresh idea

Comment

Haha yeah McTavish I was the one who started that invisible walls thread. I've now put a post in there about how I did this, for anyone who is interested: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthre...=715785&page=2

Turning corners is a bit disorienting in the video. However, keep in mind that 1) The video was taken on a netbook, which runs at about 15fps with fraps recording and 2) I highly doubt you would want to put that many corners in a real game. This is primarily for platforming, and I envisage that most of the actual gameplay would not include turning corners. In saying that, though, I'm sure you could set up some sweet boss fights and events which make use of the corners mechanic. One thing that comes to mind is lava rising from left to right in a criss-cross style area with many possible turns, making for some frantic direction choices, some of which end in dead ends and death to the lava.

As for releasing the source code, I have considered it. However, currently I am still improving on it, and I plan to code in some gameplay mechanics like weapons, death etc, as well as a title screen and seamless loading. Once that is done, I will look for an artist/level designer to see if I can make this into a decent game. If I can't find an artist, I will release the source code.

Comment

Wouldnt it be a bit faster to use Normals that are only facing a certain direction though this would require many things made in a 3rd party 3D software, but it would work, and it wouldnt have the darkening effect either.

Comment

I've released the source in all its messy and uncommented goodness. Any use of the code or concept must be with credits.

http://www.filehosting.org/file/deta...01/Classes.rar

Comment

Nice one captain, good job

Comment

Beautiful stuff, reminds me of Pandemonium. and the alternate paths reminds me of Killer 7, no?

Comment

Hey i canĀ“T do the code Works Can you help me?

Comment

I'm not going to be using this for my sidescroller but I still just have to say, I and many others are very greatfull for you to release that code.

It's a really kind thing to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X