Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first character based on the boomers from GoW

let me know what you think!!!

I say pretty good.You wouldnt wanna come model some people for my game would you.They need to be low poly.But its pretty good.

Comment

Nice work mate !

Comment

hey xtreme what type of game you working on? just email me if you want to discuss anything.

Comment

Awesome! Love it

Comment

My personal feeling is that he is too much off human propotions, he is like a box.

Comment

Agreed, it's perfectly fine to do stylized figures, with oversized proportions, but what he's lacking is any difference along his form. Even if you don't do human proportions, at least keep in mind where humans generally curve in and curve out, his shoulder, hips and legs are all in a straight line (and those legs pretty much scream cylinder).

That being said, it's your first character and that's quite an accomplishment to be honest! Well done, just play with his overall form a bit to get rid of that squarish shape.

Comment

Design

No disregard to principles, they exist for a reason, but don't follow design principles, for the sake of following principles though. Too much straight vs. Curve for instance could lead you to a figure that's much too soft or dynamic from what you have above - which could have been your intention. You don't want sexy looking brutes right? Maybe you do - in which case curve the heck out of it. Maybe you want him more muscular feeling in which case make sure the arms and chest are bigger in relation to the lower body (look at Mr. Incredible for a very stylized example of this.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0...ible_large.jpg)

Head size is probably the biggest reference for scale. Small heads generally equal bigger feeling bodies, and big heads usually work best for small characters (kids etc, big head street fighter etc). That said, you can't simply make his head small and expect it to work. All these things work together to make design work.

Also be concerned with being too true to 'realism', or human proportions. There's a design theory called the uncanny valley http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley
                Which delves into why it's actually hard to do hyper-realism without them feeling massively more revolting to look at than something more stylized. Designers on Avatar were thinking about this a lot to avoid making the Aliens feel sickening or ironically enough 'too cg'.

I hope I'm not talking your ear off, but I can say that I used to be more afraid of criticism not because I didn't appreciate it, or thought my way was best. I knew the notes I was getting were all good I just didn't know what to do with all of it. It can be overwhelming sometimes and the best way to wrangle it all and not get drowned in the seas of criticism of advice/comments is to know clearly what you want, sort it out based on what supports what you are after, then use it with these principles to formulate solutions that lead you toward what you want. You're making your work, not anyone else's.

Is there anything in your design you're unhappy with? Wish it felt bigger? Tougher? Wiser? Dumber? Stronger? Faster?....wow I feel like I'm turning into a ****** ad. Anyway, if you know what you want and state that, I think you'll get way better/more directed suggestions. Great work getting it done, btw. Congrats.

Comment

ring in the waist a little and edge the chest/back plate and the pantsu to give some definition to his bodily appearance. maybe make it appear as if some the straps are done in a little more tightly too? But it really is good, especially for a 1st time.

Comment

What program did you use to make him? 3dsmas, maya, ...?

Comment

i used 3ds max and zbrush

Comment

Stupid Question: Do you guys sculpt in Zbrush and then export to Max or Vice versa?

Comment

i make a basic model in max then export to zbrush and give the models the details and paint it.... but dont forget to unwrap the model in max while its is a basic model first before you export it out. you can then subdivide it in zbrush as many times as you want and it will keep your unwrap.

Comment

Working...
                          X