Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working Title: Hero Quest

Hi all,

after long years of other interest I finally returned to Unreal Engine. Last project I managed was my UT2k3 mod Global Warzone ... but thats just about my person and the past.

Our next project will be a game with rules and playstyle, like the good old table top HeroQuest
    (maybe some of you can remember...perhaps the older ones, like me )

For this I started with an old friend (modeller, animator) that project.

Some core features will be:
    - fully integrated level editor (no UEd needed to creat new maps)
    - fully dynamic created levels
    - rule set from good old HeroQuest
    - point & click, round based gameplay
    - up to 5 people per network (1 Morcar + max. 4 Heroes)
    - nice meshs, music and fight animations (something like battlechess )

Finally I will present my current work process here...currently the map is made in UEd, but the mobs are spawned by code.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Bo3Rpdqu4

Finishing the LevelManager using the LevelGeometry-Factory will be the next bigger step (including a side view on loading and saving data)

Some more Vids will follow
    BlackHornet

nice work
    how did you do the point and click, might i ask? i need something like that for my project.

Comment

I did it with a simple Trace...

Each floor tile is a single static mesh, so i trace the static meshes and position a decal above its location, this is handled by the HUD in the PostRender() function.

Comment

Originally posted by Quade View Post
        nice work
        how did you do the point and click, might i ask? i need something like that for my project.
        There is a great point-and-click tutorial in the Programming section of these forums, the author is roychr.

Comment

Once you have selected a square, how does the character choose to get there?
          FOr example is ther path finding for it they are in a hallway?

Looks good so far man!

-LW

Comment

No pathfinding yet, only a MoveTo() at the moment.

But it will be needed later i suppose, if we have doors the characters can moove through. But due to the fact moving distance will be limited later on (a character may move 6 fields), we need a different approach to solve this "problem".

Comment

Nice work so far. I'm really interested in the visuals you'll create for the traps.

I'm one of those 'older ones' that remembers Hero Quest. I still own it. I think I even get extra nerd points because I painted all the pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHornet80 View Post
                No pathfinding yet, only a MoveTo() at the moment.

But it will be needed later i suppose, if we have doors the characters can moove through. But due to the fact moving distance will be limited later on (a character may move 6 fields), we need a different approach to solve this "problem".
                so are you calling moveTo from another controller to their pawns?

how do you do it exactly, are you first adding a move target like: pawn1.contoller.moveStartTarget = selectedTile;
                pawn1.contoller.gotoState('scriptedMove')
                ?

-LW

Comment

Yes, something like that, in my case its a function in my own AIController class:
                  Code:
                  function OnAIMoveToPosition(Vector aPosition)
                  {
                    MoveDestination = aPosition;
                    if(!IsInState('MoveToLocation')){
                      `log("Current State: "@GetStateName());
                      PushState('MoveToLocation');
                    }
                  }

Comment

looks like you have some nifty code there. Good work!

I remember the game you mention with fond memories

Comment

thanks for the comments...

and for all of interest, more infos and contact with our team is available at http://www.mirage-development.de, there you can find our forum too, just go to Support and there will be the link

(attention: everything is in German!!), sry for all others, who cannot talk/read/write german

Comment

Hell ya,

got my XML-DOM-Parser to work, read and parse a xml file of any structure. next step is the possibility to create a DOM-Tree and save it on disk...load and save level-description will be next step then => fully custom created levels, ingame integrated level editor => UEd wont be needed any longer to create levels for my game *g* (only for the upk-files)

Comment

And something new after a few days...a new test with a basic xml level content structure...

The floortile is a custom mesh now, same mesh, same material on every plate, but each looks slightly different (thx to my artist for that thing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ6eXIH3ItM

Comment

Nice project, and less expensive ^^
                            Wait and I want to see the next ! Good luck and courage.

Comment

i remember HeroQuest but i went for Space Crusade

board games i mean

looking good so far

Comment

Working...
                              X