Derelict 9 Prototype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solid Snake View Post
    I tossed up between making this with Unreal Engine, Unity or my own engine. At this point, PC gaming is where I want to stay as I get a lot of extra space in what I can do especially since I've got a lot more room with space, memory and video card power.
    I do understand as well. Developers really think Iphone is the solution for casual gaming but most of us play shooter or rts which aren't that much represented on iphone or other casual game engine. I know unity isn't just for iphone but a lot of people think like deranged.

I'm sure with a solid gameplay and a good challenge that kind of game could be awesome.

eye candy game are long to create but concept game don't last that long.

Solid snake do you want to keep the ray beam in the hauted house ? Maybe more realistic weapon could be interesting. Do you plan to create a ray beam like in ghostbuster?

really nice work.

Comment

did you change the main character?is there any tutorial on it?
      thanks

Comment

I do understand as well. Developers really think Iphone is the solution for casual gaming but most of us play shooter or rts which aren't that much represented on iphone or other casual game engine. I know unity isn't just for iphone but a lot of people think like deranged.
        Certainly the iPhone isn't just for casual games, as you could probably make any kind of game you wanted. My choice to stick with Unreal in this case is due to my experience with the engine (10 years plus now). It means I spend a lot less time wondering if something is possible, and more time just writing the code that is necessary.

Solid snake do you want to keep the ray beam in the hauted house ? Maybe more realistic weapon could be interesting. Do you plan to create a ray beam like in ghostbuster?
        I don't want this game to be realistic at all. Well, in some sense the graphics convey what things are, such as, we can look at the rooms and see that the floor has carpet and the walls are wallpapered. However, I want this to be an arcade game. This gives me a lot of freedom to focus on things that are fun rather than worry if the game is realistic or not. In this case, I wanted to have beams spawn on fire so that players knew where they were shooting. Plus it means weapons with modifiers could alter how the beam looked like thus conveying information that the weapon was more powerful or applied some sort of effect.

I suppose realism in a way has its own legion of fans. But that isn't my goal here.

really nice work.
        Thanks!

did you change the main character?is there any tutorial on it?
        I just changed the mesh for the player to the other one that was in UDK.

Comment

Originally posted by Solid Snake View Post

I just changed the mesh for the player to the other one that was in UDK.
          how to do that?can you show it,or give some tutorial on it?
          thanks you.

Comment

Originally posted by riowahab View Post
            how to do that?can you show it,or give some tutorial on it?
            thanks you.
            use this skeletal mesh inside you Pawn class

Code:
            SkeletalMesh=SkeletalMesh'CH_IronGuard_Male.Mesh.SK_CH_IronGuard_MaleA'

Very nice and inspiring job snake, cant wait to see more videos
            but still i hope you continue your Diablo2ish RPG game ,that was way cooler for me

Comment

Originally posted by shaheen View Post
              use this skeletal mesh inside you Pawn class

Code:
              SkeletalMesh=SkeletalMesh'CH_IronGuard_Male.Mesh.SK_CH_IronGuard_MaleA'
              I should add inside the pawn?of just change it?
              because I couldn't find the code.

Thanks

Comment

but still i hope you continue your Diablo2ish RPG game ,that was way cooler for me
                I've stopped that one for now. I may pick it up in future, but it's unlikely as I like this idea more right now.

Comment

[SHOT]http://www.digitalconfectioners.com/images/ProjectX-11022010.jpg[/SHOT]

Table and Lamp meshes created by Josh Stoker, who is going to be the main artist for this game.

I've started creating the "Entrance Hall" room. The entrance hall is where players start, and it's always the same for every single map (although, I might randomize what decorative meshes are inside it). The entrance hall has two doors which then branches out to the rest of the level. Connected to the entrance hall is the "Foyer" is also another two doors which branches out to the rest of the level. Connected to the foyer is the grand staircase which leads to the "Upper Landing".

If any of you have played the board game "Betrayal at House on the Hill" then this will seem familiar.

I'm getting some shadow bleeding, which seems to get progressively worse if the shadow is larger. Not 100% sure how to handle this as of yet ... but it may mean I have to fudge with the meshes to ensure that no shadow bleeding occurs.

I also rolled the camera a little bit. Makes it look a little more interesting as everything isn't just straight on. This might work... seem how it plays out.

Comment

It looks better and better, really nice work!

I'm curious about the level generation, do u generate all the wall/floor mesh on the fly? or by playing with bunch of basic mesh block's width and height? I'm totally noob about the random generation stuff.

Comment

Nice stuff, SS. Good to see you finally got this thing up and running. I remember our discussions and planned working-together on irc and this is the kind of thing i wanted to do back then when you wanted it all 2D (if i remember correctly?)

Keep it up man!

Comment

It looks better and better, really nice work!
                        Thanks!

I'm curious about the level generation, do u generate all the wall/floor mesh on the fly? or by playing with bunch of basic mesh block's width and height? I'm totally noob about the random generation stuff.
                        I have basic mesh blocks which I use. Unfortunately UDK doesn't handle runtime geometry creation at all (at least, I don't believe so).

Nice stuff, SS. Good to see you finally got this thing up and running.
                        Thanks Drevlin

I remember our discussions and planned working-together on irc and this is the kind of thing i wanted to do back then when you wanted it all 2D (if i remember correctly?)
                        Yeah, this is certainly one of those old-old-old ideas. I actually tried this with UT2004 but dynamic lighting just didn't cut it back then. During that time, I was writing my own engine, and to keep things easier I wanted to just do it in 2D to make less work for myself. In all regards, this game is still very much 2D in how it players though as I don't use the Z axis very much at all.

Comment

Oh, so this is what you´ve been working on Solid Snake! Really nice stuff, and I'm looking forward to see more

Do you plan on potentially doing a tutorial about the "dungeon" generation in the future?

Comment

Working...
                          X