No announcement yet.

Derelict 9 Prototype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could use a SceneCaptureActor which takes a snapshot at the beginning of the level and use that texture for your minimap.

Comment

That's possible Denny, but suffers from a few problems such as clarity and perspective. Drawing onto a ScriptedTexture would be the best solution, but I haven't done much work to be honest on a mini map yet ... or if I even want one.

Comment

Ah ofcourse, sorry ^^;;;

cant wait to play a demo of this though mate

Comment

Solid,

I´m going to be very honest: I envy you! I must say what an incredible work you are doing!!!
          I used to play Amiga games and Chaos Engine still is one of the best.
          I´ve started learning Unreal/UDK a few weeks ago and I have started prototyping a Chaos Engine based game (3 worlds 4 levels each and only four classes).
          I am a long way before I have something playable, but I hope to get there soon.

Once again congratulations and please keep on rockin´!!!!

P.S.: Can´t wait to play it!!!

Comment

Been working on the level generator more. I've finally gotten round to make some meshes and discovered quite a few problems with how I've been previously doing it. The newer version of the level generator has less problems and is a little less complicated due to how I create the room meshes now. I've also tested the lighting by adding some proper lights and it looks pretty good now.

Hard to see it in this screenshot, but thats actually two sectors joined together. It's not noticable like it was last time as I fixed all the issues with lighting and so on.

Once I get the corners to work properly, I think it will start to look better and better. I've been a bit lazy with how I've been generating the meshes as I've wasted a lot of polygons, but it's perfectly fine for now. When things start to shape up, those issues can be resolved later since I plan to have the walls a lot more intricate.

I also decided to change the setting to a haunted mansion. I think that will be more interesting than yet another generic sci fi shooter.

struckin42
            Thanks! I'm working hard on this game, so hopefully it comes to something in the end.

Comment

this is a really soft light. Did you just tweak the ini files ? Maybe it's because the camera is far away but it look really good. I'm please to your change of direction art.

keep posting

cheers

Comment

Probably not really all that relevant, but with the top down view, mention of a haunted house I can't help but think of Atic Attack, from ultimate back in the 8 bit days.

What sort of visual style were you thinking of going for? Photoreal, stylised?

If you would like any assistance with meshes or anything I would be happy to lend some assistance (long time modder, looking only to work for my own entertainment/learning)..previous work: Tactical Ops, Domain2049, TO:Crossfire.

Comment

this is a really soft light. Did you just tweak the ini files ? Maybe it's because the camera is far away but it look really good. I'm please to your change of direction art.

keep posting

cheers
                  I haven't tweaked the ini files at all. It could be perhaps that this is all dynamic lighting, or that I've adjusted the color and brightness to produce that sort of soft lighting. It could also be due to the shadow giving that impression. Yeah, another space sci-fi game probably wouldn't work so well since it's been done so many times now a days.

What sort of visual style were you thinking of going for? Photoreal, stylised?
                  At this point I will be shooting for a semi-realistic art style. Trying to stay away from too much brown (as in that gray-brown that many new games go for) but rather the wood hues. Otherwise paintings, and so forth will help some of those areas.

If you would like any assistance with meshes or anything I would be happy to lend some assistance (long time modder, looking only to work for my own entertainment/learning)..previous work: Tactical Ops, Domain2049, TO:Crossfire.
                  I'm currently hiring an artist to create my art. Due to the commercial intent of the project, I will be paying people up front. However, that does mean that I simply can't accept volunteer work. That is unless you're willing to sign a contract which would be very unfair on you, as I would simply own everything you created (I've been in too many mod teams in the past where things fell apart due to a team member leaving and taking all of his/her work with him/her).

Comment

Fair enough, I'm just bumming around aimlessly looking for something to get my teeth into, but nothing too serious and liked the look of where you are heading with this.

I look forward to seeing the progress all the same.

Comment

The sectors now corner up pretty nicely. The meshes UV Mapping for the inner corner mesh is messed up a little hence why I'm getting some of the lighting bugs. I will probably fix this later on tomorrow.

Getting there, but I'm getting some weird shadow mapping bugs if I move the lights around. Haven't quite figured out why yet, but I'm sure it's due to a pretty silly reason. Seems like if I put them dead centre they're ok.

Comment

Sectors now join seamlessly when presented like this. I'll have to handle the other condition as well; that is, when the wall on the left side is larger than the opposing wall.

Managed to fix the main lighting bug I had encountered. It appears you shouldn't really use the Translation method to reposition lights, so I just winded up using dynamic light actors instead.

Comment

Can't wait to play it. I love these kinds of games. Just make sure to provide ample visual feedback on bullets connecting with walls and people. Maximize the "shock and awe" and capitalize on what your 2d predecessors could do

Comment

I have a question: How do make the enemies to run toward the player instead of start to fire when they spot him?
                            I wrote my own monster AI in this particular case. Since the AI did not need a lot of intelligence, it's a pretty light weight AI class.

Comment

If only you made this into an iphone game with unity, seems like you have the potential to make six figures.

Comment

If only you made this into an iphone game with unity, seems like you have the potential to make six figures.
                                I tossed up between making this with Unreal Engine, Unity or my own engine. At this point, PC gaming is where I want to stay as I get a lot of extra space in what I can do especially since I've got a lot more room with space, memory and video card power.

Comment

Working...
                                X