Derelict 9 Prototype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Derelict 9 Prototype

All of my current prototypes have been rolled into this one.

The Contrast prototype was fun, but as I continued to develop it, I found it less and less appealing to me. For some reasons, I much prefer to created games with projectile weaponry than medieval melee weaponry. None the less, a lot of code from Contrast has been rolled into Derelict 9.

Derelict 9's prototype pitch is goes along the lines of being a multiplayer top down shooter taking aspects from old Amiga games like Chaos Engine and Alien Breed. For those unfamiliar with Chaos Engine or Alien Breed, you can watch the game play of them here and here. It'll be cooperative action with AI buddies against AI enemies and devious puzzles.

The main thing I was interested in for this prototype was to create random levels. I think I've pulled it off with pretty decent results.

Surprisingly, even without path noding, the enemy AI is able to find the player reasonably well. Not as well as smart AI bots ... but they don't need to be that clever, since it's mostly about them being in vast numbers. Thanks to SlainChild for some of the texture art. Next it to get the random levels working across the network. I've done some preliminary tests to ensure it'll work ... but I still need to do the actual work.

So sort of like Alien Swarm then?

Random levels is a nice touch though.

Comment

Looking cool man !

Comment

Would be nice with some kind of coopish campaign.

So you have a feeling moving forward as well.

Comment

So sort of like Alien Swarm then?
          Yes. I did play Alien Swarm a little, and some of their ideas were really nice as well.

Random levels is a nice touch though.
          Thanks. Here's hoping that the random level generator can produce some pretty levels as it is functional at the moment, but not complex enough to produce interesting levels just yet.

Looking cool man !
          Thanks!

Would be nice with some kind of coopish campaign.
          What I hope to do, is to have a random coop campaign generated for players.

Comment

Maybe some of the complex level generation can be moved out into dllbind now that that exists. If the main issue is that it's slow. Maybe...

Comment

Yeah I like the idead about using a system to create random level for each new party...as Diablo 2 ^^
              To day, more and more players are interested by cooperative games !
              Have a good continuation !

Comment

Maybe some of the complex level generation can be moved out into dllbind now that that exists. If the main issue is that it's slow. Maybe...
                Generating a level like the one above takes about 0.7seconds according to the logs.

Comment

Nice man

This is getting close to what Im working on also, (Alienbreed/diablo/UFO enemky unknown mix)
                  When you say random mapo, is it generating this map on startup? If so can you explain how you are doing that? Is it a kismet thing or a map generating class youve made?

Also...for multiplay, how are you connecting clients?

Lastly... are you extending from UTPawn, UTDeathmatch etc?

THanks heaps

-LW

Comment

looks amazing keep up the great work

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwgreDUpIwM
                      • Fixed how shadows were being done. They now blend into each other properly rather than overlapping.
                      • Made some basic monsters that chase you around and explode on contact
                      • Fixed up multiplayer! Wandering around a randomly generated map in multiplayer is fun!

When you say random mapo, is it generating this map on startup?
                      The maps are generated at start up.

If so can you explain how you are doing that?
                      I spawn a sector. A sector is only allowed to have one rectangular floor and four walls. It randomizes which wall is going to have a door. When the sector is generated it creates the meshes required. Then it will attempt to generate another sector if one of the wall has a door. If it fails to generate another sector it will place a door mesh within the doorway. That's about all the rules there are for now. Later in future more interesting rules can lead to more interesting levels being procedurally generated.

Is it a kismet thing or a map generating class youve made?
                      Unrealscript. I only ever use Kismet for specific level triggers and so forth. It is unlikely that Kismet would be used in a project like this.

Also...for multiplay, how are you connecting clients?
                      As I have stated earlier before, I create a dedicated server then connect to it with the several machines I have here.

Lastly... are you extending from UTPawn, UTDeathmatch etc?
                      I extend from UTGame at the moment, but this is likely to change as the prototype develops further.

looks amazing keep up the great work
                      Thank you!

Comment

really nice.. didnt get it from the screenshots.. but video says it all..
                        im doing something similar, different style and all.. soooo, few questions..
                        How did you do that only floor gets detected under the cursor? im get everything which really sucks cause - lets say in your map - the cursor is jumping on the walls and door frames etc..
                        Are you using navmeshes or path nodes for bots..
                        I forgot oter questions from pure awesomeness

Comment

How did you do that only floor gets detected under the cursor?
                          I have a blocking volume all the way at the bottom of the map that is very, very large. The blocking volume is a new class which extends blocking volume. I use the TraceActors iterator to only detect this extended class. Since there is only one volume that TraceActors could possibly react to, I only ever get one result.

Are you using navmeshes or path nodes for bots..
                          I'm not using anything. This is what surprised me. I guess for now because the levels are very, very sparse, there isn't much to block enemies from just doing a straight bee line for me. As I lay more stuff done in the levels, then it will probably be more pronounced that they don't actually have any pathing.

I forgot oter questions from pure awesomeness
                          Thanks

Comment

Very cool :P

I like the game-play style and the random maps... I can't wait to see more.

Comment

Procedural map generation is cool!

Comment

Working...
                              X