techs-mechs progress thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

techs-mechs progress thread

well i figure i'll make a thread to **** our upcoming game Techs Mechs.
    company logo out of the way! now on to meat. concepts by My main mand
    Dado

First the 2 main characters Clint and Juan

and a couple of bad guys.

here is a youtube video showing the progress the fab Chris2009 has done on the movement and such. he has more than this goin now, an ill let him post a vid when he gets ready
    ** WE HAVE MOVIE SIGN@!@!@!@!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsN15NCbG8A
    the art in this is a temp level i thru together real quick.
    and the char model is the default jerk robot from udk
    ***END MOVIE@#@#

here is some props done by myself to work on prototyping an art style

hope you like so far

Looks quite alot like the art style for TF2 (which is not a bad thing), good luck with your endeavours

Comment

I was about to say it has a very strong TF2 feel, and I love it. I'm tempted to learn Hammer just so I can create TF2 maps.

Comment

i messed with hammer a while back,, that engine needs some serious updates its such a pain to even do simple things like import a model into

Comment

This is looking great and I'm liking the graphical style even though it's very TF2'esq. The video shows great game progress too.

Very well done,
          Matt.

Comment

looking really good!!!! like it!!!

Comment

Thanks for the comments. We are working hard on this. We have enough artists now, we need another Programmer with UNREAL experience.

Comment

Nice work Just a question...are there any tuts on creating textures like the ones you're using (cartoonish look)? I love that cartoonish art style

Comment

Either you know how to draw cartoonish stuff or you don't. You can't just learn it from a tutorial.

Comment

well you can definately learn how to do it,, i know for sure i didnt just wake up one morning making them. i find using a hard brush at a low opacity helps a lot, and fight the urge to use any filters or photo overlays, , block in your big forms first and work down to finer detail i may make a tute later of my general workflow

actualy here are a few tips
                    work loose and slowly refine
                    never use black for shading an object alwasy shade wiht a darker version of the color you are painting with
                    same for highlites, never use white
                    constantly check back an forth between your texture sheet and your model, it apain to spend a while painting, only to find it does not look right on the mesh.
                    and most important just keep practicing if you like the wood i used on the barrels, take and try and mimic it by the time you get to where you can replicate it, you should have learned a bit about the style

the main thing thats helped me get to this level is spending over 7 years as a texture artist in the industry i can do most any kind of texture, but i've always had a soft spot for a good cartoon look

Comment

Of course you can learn it, all I mean is a tutorial is barely one step to really learning to do cartoon style. IMO it is something most people study for years. If you only need to do one or two textures, you can easily accomplish the look with the right source material, filter/s and some touch up. You can even set up a material in UDK in a way so as to enhance the effect.

Comment

another project to keep my eye on

Comment

reworking the looks of the rocks, lil more sharpening to do but i like this one much better

Comment

love the rocks.Great stuff .

Comment

got the mine entrance in game lighting is just a simple direct thats using our game view so despite some tweaking that may happen to camera fov and distance, thats about how you will see it.

Comment

Working...
                              X