Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A cathedral work-in-progress (video in post 133)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm using 3dsmax 2010. It's based on a smattering of references from actual gothic and pre/post gothic cathedral designs (mostly French and German), a taste of New York Art Deco, and some homages to my UT2k4 cathedral which was based on the Haunted Cathedral from Thief: The Dark Project.

Stairs... a tricky affair.

I made it so that there's only one stair mesh (each flight+landing) and then four support pieces to attach the stair to the surrounding architecture. I wanted to keep it as free-floating as possible so I had some leeway in where I put them. With this design the stair pretty much works anywhere within the side aisles.

Comment

Looking awsome Digi bro...

Comment

Took a break from working on the stair to play with some lighting. I tried killing all interior lights and changing the exterior directional light to 10 brightness. I wanted to depict what it might look like in the early morning before anyone had turned on any lights inside.

You can also see a peek of the detailed chapels in the nave, new choir area, and detailed ambulatory.

Comment

Looks fantastic.. wow

Comment

It's insane how well lighting can change a whole scenery so dramatically. Really inspiring!

Comment

I love the new lighting. I'd have to say keep it that way, and only add interior light where a lamp or torch would be placed, so as to illuminate a very small radius. Great atmosphere!

Comment

Now if you could just add some nice sunrays visible in dust coming from the windows, it would be even better

Comment

really nice! hope you do a nice forest setting around this as well. Would look good when watching out of the windows.

Comment

Wow, it looks really good. Forgive me if this has already been answered, but how many polygons is it?

Comment

When I saw how good it looked with the new lighting I was astounded! Great job, and keep up the amazing work.

Comment

Glad you like it, guys! I will definitely do something like it in the end. However, a compromise will have to be made because if the light is that bright, the exterior of the building looks like it's on the surface of the sun. Not so good!

At long last the stair leading up to the 3rd level is in. I put two of them in, on either side of the choir. Time will still tell if this circulation is going to be final, though. I designed the stairs so that they're not location specific. They can fit anywhere within the aisles. I could even add two more, west of the transept.

This was all in in the previous set, but with that fancy lighting they were rather hard to see. It's the new choir area, chapels along the nave, and some details in the ambulatory.

Comment

Really good work mate, the lighting works really well now as well, keep it up.

Comment

So what's the polygon count up to so far?

Comment

I think you can fake the strong lighting inside by using spot lights and place them just outside the windows and tweak them so that they have the same degree as the directional light and then you can crank it up the way you like.

Comment

Remeber nice environment in Painkiller <3 ^^

Comment

Working...
                                X