Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A cathedral work-in-progress (video in post 133)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice work! may I ask how you imported from 3ds 10?

Comment

Really nice architectural work, keep going!

Comment

I'm glad if I motivated you, Viion, but it's all of these great comments that are motivating me!

(Actually I'd be doing this even if I wasn't getting any comments, but they make it more fun. )

To answer your question, DarkUnreal, in as many small parts as possible! Once I plan out what I want to do I create it using as few unique parts as possible. Here's an exploded view of the unique meshes seen in the three new shots I posted last night.

Then these fifteen or so come together inside the UDK, some instanced over a dozen times to the total of around ninety meshes, to create what you saw in those screenshots.

Comment

Wow, nice!!

How do you import mesh form 3dsmax10 to udk with flat faces?
          I can't do it with 3dsmax2010. It always import mesh with some shading group, even cubes haven't flat faces.

Comment

Originally posted by raxell View Post
            Wow, nice!!

How do you import mesh form 3dsmax10 to udk with flat faces?
            I can't do it with 3dsmax2010. It always import mesh with some shading group, even cubes haven't flat faces.

That's because they are smoothed.

Comment

Right. Before I export the meshes I run a smooth modifier on them. I just use the default setting of 30 degrees. (In some cases I'll use more when there's fine details that I want to appear rounded without using my polys for it.) This smooths all edges which meet at less then 30 degrees and makes sure that edges greater have a sharp corner.

As an aside note pertaining to Secret Squirrel's advice, when you use tiledshot x from the console it captures the console as part of the screenshot. However it you use the "t" talk command prompt, it hides the prompt and just gives you the screen!

Comment

OOOH thanks for quick reply guys

Now i get flat faces!!

Comment

Really nice work Id love to do a project of this magnitude by myself.

Comment

Digi great stuff modulation is best for larger meshes consisting of lots of detail..
                    Progression is great keep it coming...

Comment

The front part and the main body of the cathedral have now been properly joined.

There's a dozen or so new shots in the flickr archive. I had a bit of fun with aspect ratios and FOV for these.

Comment

Dammn dawg, thats pretty amazing... Except for those seams where your assets come togetherm but dammmn...

Comment

Here's a preview of the transept as it takes shape.

Comment

Looks great.

Comment

Geometry is awesome! I gather that the textures are still a WiP.

No offense, but I would love to see it as a destructible env. XD

Comment

That really good stuff there Digital Nightfall. I like the subtlety of the lighting.
                                For some reason it make me think of Devil May Cry.

Comment

Working...
                                X