Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A cathedral work-in-progress (video in post 133)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VERY VERY NICE

Would you be interested in doing some more. i have started up a small dev team. finding people here on the forums. we have 5 or 6 members now.

Would you be interested in joining or providing some basic meshes for us to work with.

You are very talanted

Comment

Originally posted by saymoo View Post
      from what i heard/read it was not wise to use many bsp based geometrics (for performance sakes) i could be wrong though..
      No, thing is you need to keep a balance, for basic rooms, floors, ceilings and walls use BSP. For detail, high poly objects that are repeated a lot use Static Meshes.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
        All articles/tutorials I've read related to UE3 only uses BSP to block out the flow of a level and get the proportions down. Then it's all replaced with StaticMesh. I could be wrong though?
        That is pretty accurate. It might not all get replaced all the time and there are circumstances where some BSP might be used in visible areas of the final level (if the designer can fill a need without bothering an artist, for instance), but the vast majority of what comprises a finished level is made up of static meshes.

Comment

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
          That is pretty accurate. It might not all get replaced all the time and there are circumstances where some BSP might be used in visible areas of the final level (if the designer can fill a need without bothering an artist, for instance), but the vast majority of what comprises a finished level is made up of static meshes.
          I guess it's just because, at Epic they would have object creators make tonnes of random architecture items. Rather than the mapper, but when it's one person working alone it is different.

Also, about the BSP for testing purposes. Level Design and flow are one of the most aspects of a map. Let's just leave it at that.

Comment

I think it all comes down to technique. Everything I've done here so far it seemed easier to do as meshes because that meant I could create it all in one program rather than having half of it exist in one that can't exist in the other.

Thanks for the offer, GamerKnight, but I'm already involved with several projects!

Comment

Excellent work indeed. I especially like the overall lighting! I'm assuming these are UDK shots... I would love to see where and what lights you had place, it's a great look and feel.

Regards,
              Matt.

Comment

The lighting setup is actually extremely simple and quick. I just put one up in the sky with a huge radius and half brightness to give a sort-of full moon effect. Other than that there's just a light under the ribvault of the nave, one under the southern flying buttresses and one in each of the lower levels under the aisles.

While we're here, is there any actual screen-capture function in the editor? So far I've just been doing cropped prtscrs. And what about some AA?

Comment

You can hold F9 and click a viewport and it should export a screenshot to your \UTGame\ScreenShots folder, you can also type shot in the console at any time in game.

Alternatively, for higher resolution and more customisable screenshots you can play in editor, get up the console, type rc which will allow you to access a menu to configure certain aspects of your view. Then type tiledshot x into the in game console, where the x is replaced with a number (I recommend no more than 4).

There are a few other console commands which are good for screen capturing, such as showhud (to hide the HUD) and fov x (where again the x is replaced by a number to customise the field of view).

Hope that helps.

Comment

I love you Secret Squirrel. I didn't know about the rc command! It's awesome!

Comment

I just took a screenshot at 5120x3840!

(I put in tiledshot 5... couldn't resist. Turns out it works just fine!)

Thanks Secret Squirrel!

Comment

Looks great Would be pretty interesting to see it with light streaming in stained glass windows

Comment

Very Nice! Reminds me of The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Comment

Here's a few more since you guys are such good sports.

Comment

I love its =O so motivated by it, I really want to do one myself!!

Comment

Digital its looking great matey...keep those images coming nice too watch progressions.
                                OOO and Secret Squirrel ty for screeny info..

Comment

Working...
                                X