Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A cathedral work-in-progress (video in post 133)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice video

Comment

By volumetric light, do you mean things like light-shaft meshes? Because I think technically light-mass is volumetric, no? I'd like to get it released to the public one day, one way or another, but hopefully as a playable game and not just as an architectural demo.

You're going to need to be more specific, TheOneandOnly.

Comment

Nice stuff

Comment

That's the part I meant, though on closer inspection it does actually look as though it's joined up.

Comment

Hi Daniel. Great Work. looks insane!!!

Nice vid btw, I have a question... do you export only the modular parts and them put them together in udk?..
            (and does this mean that you model everything and place it in the proper location within 3d max. and then once in udk do the whole placing process one more time?)

or do you just export all your duplicates from 3dMax as they are on 3d max... ( off from from 0,0,0)?

thanks

Comment

I export each unique piece as a static mesh, and place them manually inside the UDK. I don't have the whole cathedral built inside max. Just the facade, one bay of the nave/aisle, one section of the transept, one portion of the apse, etc. Basically the goal is always to build as little as possible in max and replicate as much as possible inside the UDK. There's well over a thousand static meshes in the scene you see in the video, created from just over 200 unique meshes.

Comment

Thanks M8.. specially for the quick response

Gonna give it a shot.. its hard to plan out all that ....
                do you have a method to plan out so all pieces connect... like a lot of sketching?.. or you just go as you feel it. and things just click fine in the engine?..

Comment

Lots of sketching never hurts, but you won't know exactly how everything connects until you build it. Design things in clumps and clusters, never in isolation. When designing a wall and ceiling, design the columns and arches along with it so you can line them up exactly in Max before exporting.

Comment

Originally posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
                    By volumetric light, do you mean things like light-shaft meshes? Because I think technically light-mass is volumetric, no? I'd like to get it released to the public one day, one way or another, but hopefully as a playable game and not just as an architectural demo.

You're going to need to be more specific, TheOneandOnly.
                    At least I meant stuff like dust in air that is visible in direct sunlight.

Comment

Hows it going? Been a bit quiet lately

Comment

Hi mka. For the past few days I've been working on editing together demo reels for my portfolio. Trying to get a (paying) game design job.

Comment

Always wanted to tell you that your cathedral rocked! God, the artistic nature of it blows me away...

Comment

Hey gang... in case anyone was wondering whatever happened to me, well...

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...ishonored.aspx

I've been busy working on this game.

Comment

I was reading about that game just before I got here, it sounds amazing It has some really awesome people who have made really awesome games/things in the past working with it.

I hope you help to make it a really good game, from the looks of everything you've done I say you will

Comment

Congrats, I just went through this entire thread and looking at the quality of your work they're lucky to have you. Are you still going to be working on this from time to time, or is it on the shelf for good? Would have loved to see the finished piece.

-Mr. Illusive

Comment

Working...
                                X