First Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Build

Only started to use the level editor about 6 hours ago.

All the materials were ones which are default in UDK. I managed to get a grip with lighting while using this. Not amazingly good lighting but i now see how it can make a map better.

Going to attempt to make my own materials somepoint over the next couple of days, then I'm going to try and learn from some of the mistakes while making this map.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjqT_XEmR98

Any tips and tutorials welcome

My water and terrain test map what I made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrOn_GNoVPQ

Its really neat and looks very solid for your first map, congrats! for your next map try looking at some real world locations (even if its a fantasy setting your after) as this will add a great deal of realism to your map and also get you away from the "floaty platforms, quake" look. But great work keep it up!

Jody

Comment

i like haha, try tampering with some static meshes now :]

also never use white lighting its unrealistic, always add some color to it, unless u deleberatly want a very white washed out scene :]

Comment

nice and simple, though...
        I personally prefer high player count death matches
        and yours could probably fit 3 comfortably(spawn kills(you or the spawner)
        are aggravating) up to 5 OMFG hectic-die every few min.

So, basically, good looking map(better then mine(though my lighting is way sweeter =p))
        but, being on the small side, would limit how fun it is to play.

Like, look at Halo 2....idk the name
        smallest map(middle area(had ground and below)) 4 diff. outlying areas(one had 2 levels(ground and way below(wich held a shotgun)) another had 2(ground and below(held a sword)) and the last 2 had three levels(top had sniper))

anyway, that small map(for Halo), featured extremely hectic, but survivable gameplay(no I spawn behind you, or I kill you when you spawn) and could even support 8 man team battles.

Well thats my two cents. Hope it's at least an interesting read =p

Edit: Oh btw, I noticed you didn't have any AI in your map, so heres a link to the tut.
        http://forums.epicgames.com/showthre...=708296&page=2
        oh, and if you want to add vehicles, it's nearly the same method

Comment

You might get better shadows, especially on the player weapon if you make sure the point light in the middle of the scene is a dominant light

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Vogel View Post
            You might get better shadows, especially on the player weapon if you make sure the point light in the middle of the scene is a dominant light
            Sorry if this is a stupid question, but by dominant light, do you mean a setting that can be ticked in properties? If so, where is that located? because I checked quickly and didn't see it.

Comment

Right click -> Add Actor -> Add Light (DominateDirectionalLight)

Comment

'doh, thanks

Comment

Wait I'm not sure Daniel is referring to directional light but to an actual point light that takes advantage of lightmass? Brb gonna look into this.

Edit: Okay so there Is an actual light actor called DominantPointLight in the actor class browser that works in the same manner as a dominantdirectionallight. I just tried it out and it works. I suggest playing with higher "Falloff Exponent" values besides the default of 2 on the pointlight otherwise your scene may become a bit washed out.

Using a standard pointlight also uses lightmass, someone care to explain the difference between a dominantpointlight and a normal point light as I too am curious.

Comment

looks like a killbox from half life 2 dm

Comment

Knocked this up yesterday Did add grass to the dirt as a foliage but my computer didn't like it and crashed . Haven't started painting terrain textures on yet. But I shall do soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrOn_GNoVPQ

Now working on a map which contains terrain, water and buildings . Will upload a Vid of that when I'm done will most likely have started using SpeedTree then aswell.

Comment

Nice so far, where the sounds are concerned try to vizualise the sound as you would hear it, things sound different in different environments.

In your clip the sound you have above water is the same as below the water, taking what I said about vizualising the sound, if you were to listen to something say a radio whilst you are listening to it in the bath you can hear it fairly clear aside from other ambient sounds. Now if you were to slip your head under the water the sound would become more muffled, unfortunately I am unable to guide you through how to achieve this effect as yet in UDK as I have only just started to tinker about with it myself. It is an area I am going to be learning though since sound design and sound engineering is a hobby of mine.

I noticed in another thread that a link was posted about using sounds in your games, a couple of links, I will be going over them and maybe after following them also you could incorporate them into your work to give your games that bit extra.

Comment

Originally posted by RJM74 View Post
                          Nice so far, where the sounds are concerned try to vizualise the sound as you would hear it, things sound different in different environments.

In your clip the sound you have above water is the same as below the water, taking what I said about vizualising the sound, if you were to listen to something say a radio whilst you are listening to it in the bath you can hear it fairly clear aside from other ambient sounds. Now if you were to slip your head under the water the sound would become more muffled, unfortunately I am unable to guide you through how to achieve this effect as yet in UDK as I have only just started to tinker about with it myself. It is an area I am going to be learning though since sound design and sound engineering is a hobby of mine.

I noticed in another thread that a link was posted about using sounds in your games, a couple of links, I will be going over them and maybe after following them also you could incorporate them into your work to give your games that bit extra.
                          Sounds was just something i added in as a bit of fun in this map. That is a good point about how it would sound different underwater, cheers for the tip! Will deffo use this when i attempt to build a decent map using most of the elements which I'm slowly learning.

Comment

the small square building at the center remembering me an aztec legacy. haha i like it..

Comment

Working...
                            X