Sharing light mass presets and pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing light mass presets and pics

I thought it would be great to start this thread showing off different light mass results , preset settings and pics . To help the community get the best looking results in the udk . This will show what you can do and what not to do , and help people on all the different variations on certain types of maps . So if you have messed with light mass and could get a pic send it this way . Also it would be nice to show and share your different presets . Let the gorgeous scenes began . Will be needing my sunglasses for this lol

Sure i'll bite, here's a couple shots from a scene me and my buddy Erich have been working on the past month or so, Lightmass has made a substantial difference and it's all very much a work in progress:

Best advice i can give for lighting: Don't take any advice . Get in there, make lots of mistakes. It's frustrating as hell, but tough it out. When you use presets and tutorials you're not learning to overcome the hundreds of obstacles that stand in your way.

Here's some general tips though: Careful with fill lighting, you might put a cool color in to saturate your shadows, but if it's too powreful or close to highly saturated diffused objects you're going to get some really crazy lighting. At one point in my scene, it looked like there was a crazy disco ball shooting green and pink light everywhere. Be careful of your diffuses too, you don't want super high value or you risk crazy bounced lighting.

Tone down your bake values! start with 64x64 lighting resolution and set your render properties to preiview mode, this will save you substantial ammounts of time. You can't learn how to light a scene if renders take over 5 minutes per bake!

Get in there, make mistakes, but make them fast!

Comment

That looks awesome

Comment

I love the new feathers : D

They're a nice touch.

Comment

@Crazyfingers That really does look frigging awesome!

Comment

Those feathers look really cool!

Comment

That feather literally took like 15 mins to make, but hey, if it looks better than the stuff that took days, sweet!

Comment

Indeed impressive looking pictures. Keep up the great work, crazyfingers. I'll try to get a hold of a few lightmass pictures from Sanctum when we port it over to UDK, but that might not be for a while.

Comment

Thanks for the pic , it looks very nice . I will send a pic when I mess with light mass more . I am still messing with it , just trying to get it perfect . Actually I think this is my best feature in udk .

Comment

That is awesome, great work!

I'm currently trying to light a small scene section and it's not easy (although it is enjoyable). My main problem is due to some static imported meshes lightmaps, I think I need to divide up a large area into multiple smaller areas.

Great look again,
                    Matt.

Comment

@ Crazy: This is a little OT, but what's the story behind those ropes attached to the anchors? They look really fluid. Are they animated? Physics based?

Comment

Crazy, I think you scared away potential posters with your gorgeous screenshots!

Comment

Kodiakb20: Those ropes aren't animated, just made a bendy spline shape in 3dsMax and did a path deform with a really long cylinder. The knots are the same deal, started with a taurus knot and isolated a single edge loop, turned that into a spline. Woulda been fun to do some animated stuff, but this competition is strictly 2d shots.

Gosmo: Thanks for the compliment but you should see what we're up against!

Comment

Working...
                          X