My very first try with udks map editor!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My very first try with udks map editor!

hello ive been doin some material in the new UDK material editor, heres my first run, im trying to do a earth material, with animated clouds, nightlights and specular masks, im woking on the atmosphere at the momment.
    ive got to say im a little bit disspointed coz UDK doesnt works with my hires earth maps, i had to pull all down to 4096 on the biggest side, so maybe its not goin to be suitable forclose ups.
    and ive got a big question, shy UDK doesnt support JPG images or PNG, i work with that formats all the time.

Does anybody knonw how can i use bigger textures? does it depends on my gpu?

thxn in advance.

Does anybody knonw how can i use bigger textures? does it depends on my gpu?
    You need to modify your UTEngine.ini

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Textu...dSettings.html

Comment

Wow that was fast, thnx im goin to try that.

Comment

I'm a bit confused, he asks if he can do higher than 4096 res textures and you say to modify the utengine.ini file, but the link you provided explicitly states that 4096 is Unreal Engine 3's upper limit. IIRC, Unreal Engine 2 could do higher than this but it was dependent on the memory of the user's video card.

Comment

To do proper close ups, you don't just use larger and larger textures, but rather you stream in new textures based on the distances of the texel to the camera.

Comment

Wow dude want to try out some grammar on that post. All the same thats a bit weird that they don't support those picture types, but all the same its a great engine. Good luck in the future =D.

Comment

Wow dude want to try out some grammar on that post.
              Sorry, my sleep deprivation levels are getting higher these last few days and so my writing has become less and less coherent these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
                I'm a bit confused, he asks if he can do higher than 4096 res textures and you say to modify the utengine.ini file, but the link you provided explicitly states that 4096 is Unreal Engine 3's upper limit. IIRC, Unreal Engine 2 could do higher than this but it was dependent on the memory of the user's video card.
                4096 (13 mips) is the highest supported resolution without recompiling the engine cpp source. ie. engine code modifications are required to get 8192 (14 mips) support.

Regarding video adapter maximum limit, this is still in effect with UDK/UE3. Older video adapters had varying support for 1k, 2k, 4k or 8k maximum texture resolution dependant on the adapter model.

Comment

Sorry, I meant you need to modify .ini to get higher than 1024 (or 2048 for skybox LOD group) as we limit it otherwise by default. Can't get above 4096.

Comment

You can also get that detail in by splitting the mesh into seperate UV maps, with an individual texture for each. i.e using 4 4096x4096 maps would give you a texture area of 8192x8192.

Comment

Working...
                    X