Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Arbor Vitae - UDK Scene

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arbor Vitae - UDK Scene

Hey guys,

Couple months ago me and PhilipK decided to do a little collab for Unearthly Challenge, any excuse to make good art is a good excuse. Unfortunatly there's not a lot of entries this year, but we still finished it of course.

So the idea is here is that Humans have colonized this planetoid and are in the process of creating an atmosphere similar to planet earth by using an atmosphere processing station. The air outside is not 100% breathable yet, but it already allows for the growth of vegetation.The whole point of this facility is to create an atmosphere, so we want to push for strong elements of O2, water and greenery!
    The scene is set inside one of the outer rooms of the station, more specifically inside one of the big control room, featuring a gigantic window with a beautiful view to the outside world, which from that angle you'll be able to see the other end of the complex, natural terrain and the sky.

We wanted to make use of bold colors and staying away from the same old desaturated look you typically see in sci-fi, we're also set on staying away from gritty/scary as much as possible and instead try and make the space seem like it's livable and looking almost inviting.

I started out with a concept to get the idea of the visual language we would be going for, I'm taking very strong inspiration from Doom 3 and Halo 4 for both the overall look all the way down to the textures.

But then we decided let's mix this style with COLORS, almost like mixing a Doom meets Mirror's Edge and have a child, PhilK did this amazing paintover of the blockout:

I wont bore you more with WIP's, but if you do wanna see the whole WIP process you can check it out on this thread: http://www.mapcore.org/topic/16660-a...udk-scene-wip/

I'll try and put together that breakdown asap and I'll then need to clean the package and release it for anyone who wants to fly around the scene.

Thanks Mapcore, Polycount, Jordan Walker for releasing his scene and allowing me to properly learn UDK, Quixel team for making nDo2 and dDo tools, and everyone who helped us with feedback! You helped it get much better!
    And of course, PhilipK for kicking so much ***, it was an honor to do scene with him, this guy breathes talent!

UC_HP_PhilK_shot1 by HelderP, on Flickr

UC_HP_PhilK_shot2 by HelderP, on Flickr

UC_HP_PhilK_shot3 by HelderP, on Flickr

UC_HP_PhilK_shot4 by HelderP, on Flickr

UC_HP_PhilK_shot5 by HelderP, on Flickr

UC_HP_PhilK_shot6 by HelderP, on Flickr

UC_HP_PhilK_shot7 by HelderP, on Flickr

UC_HP_PhilK_extra_background by HelderP, on Flickr

UC_HP_PhilK_extra_materials by HelderP, on Flickr

Comment

When i first saw it on Polycount i was absolutely speechless! You can be sure that i will spend tones of hours inhaling every little detail that you guys have putted in! Absolutely outstanding work in every aspect.

Comment

I love the colors and the lights you achieved in this scene! Especially on the 1st and 2nd screen, but idk why the last is also mind blowing, maybe because we can see that even in the details you put a lot of effort!
        Congratulations, it's beautiful!

Comment

Thanks, HP. Been watching this on Polycount avidly and it's really helped me to improve my workflow. Looking forward to reverse engineering it

Comment

Wow, that looks fantastic! Great job, love the style, geom, materials and lighting - top class stuff.

Comment

The lighting is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Wow! Everything's crisp, clean, and really shiny!

Gorgeous! 5 Stars!

Comment

This is beautiful amazing job!

Comment

Fantastic, is it still planned to be released for "learning - flying around" purposes?

Comment

Yes, we'll be releasing the package and level soon! been really busy, lately sorry for the long!

And thanks for the nice comments!

Comment

WOW...just wow!!
                      Fan-farking-tastic!
                      My hat off to all who worked on this!

Comment

Indeed, this is simply amazing! I was taken aback when I saw this and I can't wait to see the final result. You should be proud of what you achieved there!

I believe people could mistake it for Unreal Engine 4 now and forget this is actually Unreal Engine 3!

This deserves much more attention than it gets, that's my honest opinion.

Comment

You rock, man!

Comment

Those materials are impressive D:

Comment

special thanks for release it =)

download link(scene) : http://www.helderpinto.com/udk-level-arbor-vitae/

Comment

Working...
                              X