Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Brave New World

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brave New World

Lot's of props and love to the UDK community, especially one DGlow, for helping share the knowledge to allow this project to come to life. It was a challenge sometimes finding answers to questions because of the specific and very nontraditional usage of the engine going on here but it wouldn't have happened without this community. Massive respect.

I present to you four months of work and our first large scale Unreal Engine release Brave New World:

In the end this project was a ton of fun to work on but way too much for two people who aren't Unreal Engine pros to handle. If anyone is up for it we'd love to collaborate in the future on other projects.

Cheers <3

This looks really nice, but how have you added the real people with shadows? With adobe after effects?

Comment

By any chance does *Brave New World* play Iron Maiden

Comment

Brilliant work! And creepy as well.

Comment

Originally posted by fighter5347 View Post
          This looks really nice, but how have you added the real people with shadows? With adobe after effects?

Thanks guys.

All of the shadows are in engine. Overall, getting the shadows to match up and stick with the characters was some of the most challenging work. I spent a lot of time weighing my options trying everything from in engine to attaching a darkened horizontal copy of the material and tweaking it to rendering the shadows into the video in After Effects. In the end in engine stuff was the best and with some careful pre-planning we knew where the sun was going to be to cast decent shadows for the video planes. For stationary subjects it was super simple but matching up the shadows with moving subjects and any non-smooth terrain was much more difficult. In the end it all worked out.

The most frustrating thing was figuring out how to get cast shadows from the translucent video planes though. Shadows worked with mask materials but the keying of the background looked horrible. The opposite was true with translucent materials - great keying - no shadows. In the end DGlow came up with a work around for me making the plane that's visible translucent blending and then having a duplicate plane right behind or in front with masked blending to get the shadow. Then in the mesh's properties to set it to hidden in game but still cast hidden shadow. WIN.

<3

Comment

Great to finally see this! And glad to be of help. (and my username is dglow and not dgunreal)

Comment

Originally posted by DGlow View Post
              Great to finally see this! And glad to be of help. (and my username is dglow and not dgunreal)
              I DUN GOOFED!

Too many DGsomethingsomethings. Sorry Dennis.

Comment

Fairly pumped that Epic did a piece on Brave New World and put it in the showcase! <3

http://www.unrealengine.com/en/showc...ave_new_world/

Comment

Working...
                X