Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Town Pre-Demo [Adventure Horror]

[shot]http://chrisholden.net/ot-01-280311.jpg[/shot]

Here's what happened: my pc popped. That put me back and few days getting new parts only to find out more damage was done putting me weeks behind. Instead of this delay, I'm releasing the demo early with a Pre-Demo version that was currently testing for the full release.

The plus side is the demo is out. The downside is I'm not going to be able to quickly implement feedback, fix bugs, and move forward for at least a week or two. No big deal.

What the demo includes: a single level with, on average 20-30 minutes run-time, plenty of secrets and the overall feeling it wasn't exactly what was meant to release.

All of the content was created by myself. However, the sounds are all still UDK included sounds, and there's still a lot of placeholder art.

Link to download:
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/old-tow...pre-demo-alpha

couple of vids to get you wet:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SIE7UdYvfc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACNgWkcvG3I

On-going Old Town thread in the Works in Progess section:
    http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=739429

Thanks for checking it out!

Downloading

Comment

Seems interesting.
      Downloading now.

Comment

Downloaded.

Will test thoroughly tonight and send some feedback. Noticed a couple of people have already commented over at indiedb.

Just for guidance more than anything, what kind of feedback are you looking for?

-Gameplay
        -Technical
        -Aesthetic

Cheers!

-don

Comment

donthedragon, such a classy response. Due to the impromptu release, feedback would be best focused at gameplay, and generally things that were liked the most. With so much in the plan for change, I feel it's best to focus on what was most positive about the experience than nit-picking art that could go all day.

Nevertheless, I'm of the open mindedness than any feedback is good. Feel free to express yourself.

Everyone else, keep it coming. This is a learning experience for myself within what Unreal is capable of. I'm attempting to grasp as many features as possible.

Comment

Downloading now Max,Will check it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Power View Post
              donthedragon, such a classy response. Due to the impromptu release, feedback would be best focused at gameplay, and generally things that were liked the most. With so much in the plan for change, I feel it's best to focus on what was most positive about the experience than nit-picking art that could go all day.
              Heh, wasn't sure wether I detected a hint of sarcasm there or not .

Fwiw I think the art style has a good structure to it and I'd like to see further development with that style. Very eerie.

As for the gameplay itself, I think the time and effort you've put into the 'scripted' events is noticeable and the atmospheric side of things is very well executed. I did however feel that the requirements to solve certain situations was a little confusing at times. Instead of testing these elements just by myself I asked the other half to sit down and have a play through too; always good to get a non-gamer's point of view I think. The only hangup she had with the gameplay was that maybe the objective was a little unclear.

She doesn't know a sausage about games development processes bless her, but on second play through I did feel that the only reason I knew what to do was because I'm quite an avid gamer, and had experienced similar thing before. This of course may just be a highly personal thing, but depending on the target audience it might be an idea to just hint at stuff like searching draws etc.

Overall I'm impressed so far with the content you have created and looking forward to seeing future development of the project

Keep up the good work!!

-don

Comment

I'm not trying to nit pick on the art (since you said you specifically don't want to go down that path) but I think someone needs to mention that the art itself could use some....clarity.

The normals on all of your assets are turned way up so everything looks very grainy. Also, the lighting could use another pass to balance out the deepest blacks (pre-flashlight).

I'm not saying this from an artists perspective, I'm saying this from a design perspective. The flow of your game will go much smoother and people won't get as "stuck" if your normals were toned down and your lighting wasn't so polarized. It's a good idea to balance out (lower the intensity of) the "background" art and make the interactive parts of the game really pop. I felt the entire game popped and it was hard to discern the important stuff from the props. I found myself mousing over basically everything in the rooms and spamming the E button, because in some cases I found notes that way. Additionally when everything in the game "pops", it brings down the quality of everything rather than improving the quality.

Hope this wasn't too confusing. I felt like I might have gone down a few rabbit holes.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach Lehman View Post
                  I'm not trying to nit pick on the art (since you said you specifically don't want to go down that path) but I think someone needs to mention that the art itself could use some....clarity.

The normals on all of your assets are turned way up so everything looks very grainy. Also, the lighting could use another pass to balance out the deepest blacks (pre-flashlight).

I'm not saying this from an artists perspective, I'm saying this from a design perspective. The flow of your game will go much smoother and people won't get as "stuck" if your normals were toned down and your lighting wasn't so polarized. It's a good idea to balance out (lower the intensity of) the "background" art and make the interactive parts of the game really pop. I felt the entire game popped and it was hard to discern the important stuff from the props. I found myself mousing over basically everything in the rooms and spamming the E button, because in some cases I found notes that way. Additionally when everything in the game "pops", it brings down the quality of everything rather than improving the quality.

Hope this wasn't too confusing. I felt like I might have gone down a few rabbit holes.
                  I must agree with Zach Lehman, i spammed the **** outta the "E" button too haha, so balance would be nice as that is a game play directive.

However, the game is interesting and i liked the feel of nothing around. When things are around good job overall.

Comment

That's a good point raised by Zach actually, this is kind of what I meant in my post; though on second glance the post does sound a little confused.

It was kind of hard to differentiate between what was supposed to be used and what was merely a prop.

The point about the normals is also one I forgot to mention. I did feel like some of the assets could have really made more of an impact to the feel of claustrophobia with a few more tweaks to the lighting. I realise you said we could nit pick all day about styles and textures and whatnot; but I feel that if a sense of loneliness and solitude is the feel you're going for it might be more beneficial at this stage to have people comment on that aspect of your content also.

Personally I feel that this is the major difference between making a level/game like this and your standard FPS. Horror games have to have that atmospheric kick right off the bat, so at this point it's still important for you to receive feedback on that too. Just my honest opinion

What's so great about getting feedback from this community is that there are so many different opinions that are specific to each element of your level. Environment artists, designers, FX artists...You couldn't ask for a better bunch!

I'll definitely continue to play through it when time allows and keep post in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                    X