Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 week stress environment : Deus EX apartment

Hi all
    It's my very first post here but I've actually been lurking for quite some time and used UDK for various personal projects.

Let me introduce myself first, I'm a professional game artist currently working at 3 point studios, I have worked on a few unreal related title such as Pariah, Warpath and Bioshock 2 and some other unrelated titles, mostly as props and weapon artist.

ok so now that the formal thing is done and you know more about my background, here's the thing : I decided to create a one week stress test to evaluate the quality of my workflows and how fast I could get a full environment done, what I would have to sacrifice to go faster and yet maintain a decent look. Mainly because if you take months to create an environment, you don't evaluate your mistakes and can keep repeating bad workflows all the time without even noticing there's something bad. the rules were simple :
    -no more than 10/20 minutes struggle on a problem, if it takes more, it either requires a super complex solution, or is a bad idea.
    -keep texture quality as good as possible, yet try to spend as little time as possible on them, focusing mainly on color and value, if it reads as wood, it's wood, no need to slap in noisy textures to make up for bad base values.
    -use the 3 point shader as a base for the texturing process, meaning I don't have to go back and forth between UDK and max/ps (avoiding to re import textures as much as possible)
    -create all the shaders from scratch, yet try to use as many material instances as possible, shaders must contain the same qualities as the 3 point shader since I want a predictable look.

for the TL;DR : I wanted to see if I could do it in a week.

sorry for the wall of text, here are the screenies, keep in mind it's a weeks side work, with real work, real life and 2 days off in there, so no, I didn't sleep much .

BSP materials, the tiles are based on a 256*256 with per instance interchangeable patterns (also at 256 or 64 sizes), same for the wallpaper.

some individual assets, captured in max, 3 point shader, no quality mode enabled

note : UDK doesn't support quality mode yet, so i didn't use it to begin with, values convert 1 to 1 from 3point shader to udk, each asset has diff,spec, gloss, normal and environment reflection

hope you guys will like it

V.

Very very nice work! The Gloss looks very good. Great job and hope to see more!

If you have a DX11 card, try using that cool reflection actor to make the tv screen reflect on the polished wood :P

Comment

That looks amazing i wish anything i did could look like that great job Vahl

Comment

this looks amazing. Nice job

Comment

Impressive, that's really amazing for such time limits.

And thanks for making me re-evaluate my own workflow.

Comment

thanks guys !!

The Agent : no DX11 card here and I'm still under XP so I don't even have dx10

here are a few updated screenies and a video of the scene.

youtube vid : http://youtu.be/He_drnRKmBg?hd=1

screens :
            [shot]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/513996/personal%20stuff/render401.png[/shot]
            [shot]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/513996/personal%20stuff/render402.png[/shot]
            [shot]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/513996/personal%20stuff/render403.png[/shot]

Comment

So are you just a huge Deus EX fan, or do you have something to do with upcoming projects?

Comment

That's so awesome,for a week that's amazing.
                Got me in the mood for the release in August now

Comment

Wow! that is incredible! in a week! that is really nice work mate, would love to see what else you come up with when you get the time!

Comment

Wow, this is really fantastic work.

Comment

Nice work man! Congrats on making this in such a short time

Comment

OUTSTANDING work!
                        The lighting is fantastic and the textures are really clean!

Comment

Je, its a Deux Human jeje

Nice game men!

Comment

lovely work man

Comment

Did you use scaleform for the full motion video?

Comment

Working...
                              X