Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

[DT3D] UDK Skin Shader

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DT3D] UDK Skin Shader

DT3D UDK skin shader is a real-time multi-layered skin model implementation in the Unreal 3.x Engine. The shader is based on research from “Efficient Rendering of Human Skin,” implementing most of the effects described in the paper including the multi-layered diffusion scattering in skin. Along with the multi-layered subsurface scattering the shader implements the physically based specular term to better capture the specularity of skin. This is a great shader for the artist that wants to push there characters to that next level. Also can be quite usefull for those artist using the UDK for pre-vis work.

Wow, it looks very nice!

Comment

Fantastic work! I'm a lover of UT3 shaders as well, and I love to see others fully taking advantage of the engine's material editor! I hope this shader is truly appreciated as it deserves to be.

Comment

This shader looks really good.

And your Logo looks like something I've seen before.... Something from Mars if I remeber right...

Comment

Thx's Piranhi, eAlex79. lol yes how did you know it was from mars...

KazeoHin I totally agree, I truly love the material editor in ue3. I think its the best by far in my opinion. Gives you a nice blend of shading nodes with a mix of visual programming.

Comment

why is there skin on the hair?

Comment

Originally posted by eAlex79 View Post

And your Logo looks like something I've seen before.... Something from Mars if I remeber right...

Well, you may be able to remember where it's from. Maybe you have to open your mind

Comment

Geona - the idea is for hair to be on hair planes and not in the manner that I showed in this example. Also the material can be tweaked so you can bring in a mask for hair and other sorts of things like that if this style of hair is your way of going.

KazeoHin - Yes now I remeber, quaiD... QUIAD....

Comment

The resemblence is daunting, isn't it?

Comment

Absolutly amazing! Thanks for posting .

Comment

While I don't dispute the awesomness of that shader network (good lord!), my uneducated initial opinion was that there's too much specular and the skin looks rather waxy? Rendering is one of my worst subjects, so if I just don't know what I should be seeing ignore me, it's definitely cool that you did this Just my impression. Here's a comparison for what I personally like (again I'm really noobie in terms of rendering knowledge), this guy achieved this in UE3 with spherical environment mapping to achieve that subsurface scattering effect (and there's no noticeable specular):

[shot]http://www.norman3d.com/images/SEM/SSS/sem_SSS_01_on.jpg[/shot]

Comment

Yes that looks good too right? I played with it, and I tried to remake shaders ZBrush uses f.e., but they don't ever come nowhere near good looking (the sides of the sphere are badly mapped nomatter what is there on color information).

Probably one needs to use a flat(er) texture and combine it with other mappings.

Comment

Shelke - thx's!

danimal - no biggie, I would agree that maybe my hand slipped on the spec there making it look slightly waxy. The nice thing about a shader is it can be tweaked and if you're not a fan of the spec, you can knock it down. I've seen that example before and by no means does it achieve anything close to skin rendering in my opinion. The spherical environment mapping is a nice parlor trick that can achieve cool results when it comes to highly reflective metal materials or high blur diffuse objects. Here is an example of a side by side comparison showing your traditional Lambert shading and the custom skin shader. Also a pure white light break down so you can see the color bleeding better. Hope this helps push my point a little more, but if it doesn't then eAlex79 will agree "Openn urrrr mind quaiD" Opennnn urr Mind"

Comment

Yes that looks WAAAAAY better IMO. It's that "initial response" issue with page 1 where my eye/brain just doesn't accept that what it's seeing is skin, but the above tweaking goes right past my eye/brain's "do I accept this as skin?" test Default looks frankly a lot more like the page 1 post, the tweaked Multi-Layered example above is much, much more realistic. Really cool stuff.

Comment

well I updated the first page post to reflect a better lighting situation so it shows it off better.

Comment

Working...
                              X