Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heroes with Rubber Swords (a Dungeon Defense Mod)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heroes with Rubber Swords (a Dungeon Defense Mod)

Hello!

We are a group of 6 students at the IT University of Copenhagen who have made a mod for the Dungeon Defense demo during a course in game development.

The game is a fast-paced 4 player network RPG game themed on live action role playing.

Watch the gameplay trailer at Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdESytFiOsg

Download the packaged game at:
    http://www.itu.dk/people/fmma/UDKInstall-HwRS.exe

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Enjoy!

- The boolean operation

I really liked the interface layout, it remind me of some sort of GameBoyColour interface, pokemon maybe . but the rest confused me, what is a LARP? aren't all online games live? It looks pretty but the comments make no sense to me. Sorry if I'm being dense :P.

Comment

what are you supposed to be doing? couldn't figure out the "what" part of the game at all .. or the controls. looks like DunDef's gamepad support was neutered from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shelke View Post
        I really liked the interface layout, it remind me of some sort of GameBoyColour interface, pokemon maybe . but the rest confused me, what is a LARP? aren't all online games live? It looks pretty but the comments make no sense to me. Sorry if I'm being dense :P.
        This is the first Alpha built so there are still many bugs. We would very much like your feedback, on what you think would solve the problems you have with the game.

One of the things we made but did not have time to implement, is a rules screen. Right now it is not obvious what the goal is, as you point out. As it is a network game, it should be played with more people LARP is Live Action Role Playing.. The kind kids do in a forest with rubber swords.

A wonderfull video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw

The point of the game is to gain 10 points, either by defeating other players, or by dominating the middle (15 seconds uninterrupted in the middle gives you 1 point). We got two modes, one is reality, and one is fantasy. Press F to toggle fantasy on and off. In reality you deal less damage and have a "real" sound-side with rubber swords and kids screaming. In Fantasy you deal more damage and the sounds are of real orcs and elves fightning with real swords.. Most skill will affect you differently, based on what mode you are in.

You can either submit here or through trjo@itu.dk.

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
          what are you supposed to be doing? couldn't figure out the "what" part of the game at all .. or the controls. looks like DunDef's gamepad support was neutered from it.
          Yes the controls takes some getting used to. We had to prioritize overall gameplay and get networking up and running, which was a hassle As we had limited time and other courses to complete, some solutions are far from optimal.

Hopefull we will get some good feedback, so that we can improve the game. I really hope that you can and will try the networking part.

-Troels

Comment

I would just like to add that LARPing is mainly looked down upon for very wrong reasons.
            There's a wide age variety. By far not just kids.
            The political and characteristic parts weigh way more than the fighting.
            Those videos you see like that one are missleading. Cameras aren't alowed during the actual LARP so these videos are taken after when everyone is goofing off.
            Though there are ofcourse always these hyper nerds as in the video, especially in American LARPs.

As for the game. Not bad yet not great. Should also be in the WIP section.

Comment

Hi SageHunter

Much like boy-scouts are looked down upon, people have a bias towards LARP. Our intention has never been to portray LARP as a ridiculous activity, but to make a fun game that draws on the more common notions that people who donĀ“t LARP has about it.

A memeber of the crew used to LARP and we have posted the game in various Danish LARP forums and never gotten an angry or hurt comment.

As I can see you are from Sweden will I by any chance see you at the Gotland Game Awards this week? I would like your opinions about our game spelled out, presumably over beer.

Comment

Cool stuff, glad to see we could aid... =)

Comment

@Javahawk

And we very much appreciate it and look forward to Dungeon Defenders.

Although... You could have put in networking. Would have saved us a bundle of programming

Comment

Haha meanth more to clarify :P
                    Not offended. Only LARPed once. Wish to do it again sometime.
                    Sadly won't be there. School's not out untill the 11th (yes I'm still in my diapers (but I am 18. So that beer doesn't sound that bad)).

Comment

:-" people, isn't there voice recognition in UDK?

You guys could sit in front of your PCs and scream "Lightingbolt! Lightingbolt!" all day yourself.

Comment

Haha it could be fixed?
                        That's a great idea!
                        Lightning Bolt! Lightning bolt! Fire ball! FIRE BALL! HEAL! HEAL! HEAL! FUUUU....

Comment

Would be cool and massively annoying, especially if you broadcasted the sound to the other players

Comment

a voice-control supplemented RPG would be awesome

Comment

Originally posted by troels View Post
                              a wonderfull video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugpkqfw

thank you!
                              Ahaahahahaa i laughed so hard at that!!

Comment

Working...
                              X