No announcement yet.

UDKNewGame Utility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ill try it as soon as i have time, its a great idea...

i got win7 64bit, but for some reason UDK seemed to crash when loading a map...
    perspective view had no grids on it (checked Game Mode, everything...) wich is funny, then when loading a .udk map it just dies on me... sad

i got it on a win32 xp sp3, and it works just fine (UDK)

ill try your app when i can, awesome idea btw

PD: ill set up SVN first and add UDK base folder to my repo... that way ill be able to see what was changed by your app inside that folder very clearly and detailed line by line..

Comment

Originally posted by nsx_nawe View Post
      PD: ill set up SVN first and add UDK base folder to my repo... that way ill be able to see what was changed by your app inside that folder very clearly and detailed line by line..
      Well adding your base folder to your repo would kind of beat the point, coz the Utility doesn't generate anything in the UDK base folder, but it makes a new one for your game, i guess you could have an empty folder and then check it out in the svn but that might not work, coz i think my utility won't let you build a new game in a folder that already exists (might add a overwrite question to the code later ), although i dunno why would you want to look at what my app does, it basically just changes a couple of ini files and generates some folders and some mostly empty base classes in your game src folder, so yeah, the advanced mode has the no epic assets option but that's buggy as hell, and will probably removed in the next release.

Oh and I almost forgot, would you guys like to see some other UDK Utilities (and if yes what would you like them to be?) since I'm in more of a c# coding mood now, and my team is slacking off on their part of udk dev so I have to wait

Comment

@Nemesis:
        Im setting up SVN for my projects and for some files id like to modify from work and with my laptop... that would be learning UDK and im gonna check out WebGL wich called my attention (might be a good excuse to learn OpenGL). I tried learning OpenGL on the Android platform (i work on android apps at my job) but it was somewhat frustrating/slow on my notebook...

anyway that was a bit offtopic, youre right about the svn thing, wouldn help much, i just wanted to see exactly what your program did, i guess ill upload the root folder to svn and that should not bother with your app, the svn would see a new folder was created, but i wanna see what it touches on the main folder anyway :P

thanks a lot for working on this for the community =) and hope to see future releases.

Comment

Originally posted by nsx_nawe View Post
          anyway that was a bit offtopic, youre right about the svn thing, wouldn help much, i just wanted to see exactly what your program did, i guess ill upload the root folder to svn and that should not bother with your app, the svn would see a new folder was created, but i wanna see what it touches on the main folder anyway :P

thanks a lot for working on this for the community =) and hope to see future releases.
          no prob, new release is gonna be out soon, just polishing some code here and there, checking some features, and dropping some previous implements that didn't really work out .

As far as the whole folder manipulation, what the utility does, it's just, go to udk base folder, find all files, copy them to the new folder. After that's done, it just creates a new folder in UTGame\Content with your game name, so you can store your content there, then it also creates a game name folder in the Development\src with a Classes folder in it, and it generates a couple of classes (1 or 2 for basic mode, and more for the advanced mode), then it just adds some base code to make it all work . It's pretty simple in the way it works. On the other hand if you are interested in how the Transfer project part works you can just check out Rachel's batch file and get the info from there, coz what my Utility does there it just takes user input in the form and sends it to the batch, that's what it's going to be handled by native code in the new version.

Wow that was long, I obviously digress to much.

Comment

Hi, long time no post

i've had no time to try out your tool but i think i will soon have... ive started a 3Dmax course so im not gonna have much time to play around with udk.
            any updates on your tool? i hope you like to keep working on this and improve it!, it certainly looks promising.

@offtopic: anyway, im still not sure WHAT files i should add to svn subversioning... to be safe i would add everything but... that's some bandwith we're talking about

kind regards,

nawe

edit: i tried it out, some feed back
            i did it and i expected to have a blank game... wich i suppose i have, i will inspect it later to start working on a game...
            BUT i happened to try out the "game" and it launched a UTDeathmacth... i suppose that is because since i dont define a new gametype, its taking the default...or, its "parent" class... something like that, as i said, ill inspect that later.

but my suggestion here is... why not put an option to make the game a new custom gametype "x" that will setup up an fps but with no UT assets, like... make a cube map and add it with your tool as the default main scene of that custom game...
            so the user of your tool sees no UT assets...

anyway its just a suggestion from a perspective of mostly ignorance about udk... so take it from whom it comes... or you can just tell me "your idea is absurd or incoherent" and i will not be offended xD

thankss again for working on this

cheers

Comment

@nawe
              1.) I will keep working on this adding features and stuff and hopefully make it in to a full fledged project manager for UDK. BUT I don't have time for that at the moment, running 2 game projects and taking care of schoolwork take a lot of my time, I wrote this during the holidays and if the things remain chaotic as they are now, the update will have to wait till my next holidays
              2.) What u get after using the utility is a blank game but all of the UT/UDK stuff is left there intact. There is an option in the advanced mode that lets you get rid of all the UDK stuff, but that is VERY buggy and just not worth it. Considering that if you don't use it, the final product won't contain it in the package. Now the reason you get the UTDeathmatch is because of the UDK menu system that is in place, coz when u run the game, and select the options, the menu passes the gametype to the engine and starts the map with that gametype. Now adding a prebuilt map with my utility wouldn't really make any sense, coz the menu would still be there and it wouldn't let you load the map through the UI anyways. What I would have to do is include the dynamic menu that would be edited by the utility to match your settings, and that would be transforming my Utility in to a MAKE THIS GAME FOR ME button, and would also me that I would have to make that menu for all of ya, and I had a lot of troubles with making one for myself, and I'm not going to go through that all over again :P . So yeah, for now you have to do the rest of the work on your own

Comment

Hi there!, yeah..

i tried your utility on a winxp and then i saw what happened... watching allarĀ“s video tutorials i think i got a hold on how the base mechanism works... so now i think i understand how to do that myself...

besides as you say a DO THIS GAME FOR ME button.. would be just lame imo xD.

@off: any info about your "2 game projects" youre working on? certainly would like to check that out. the WIP threads are the most encouraging and interesting part of the forums to me...
                cheers

pd: ill try your tool on a win7 in a few hours :3

PD2:
                April UDK is out and this seemed relevant to your tool...

"All UTGame native functionality is now either removed, moved to UnrealScript, or moved to UDKBase if more generally useful."

"This means that the UTGame package can be removed by removing it from the EditPackages and not referencing any classes from it in your maps or ini files. "

that should help your newgame as an empty project removing UTAssets feature?

Comment

There is a warning for the April beta on the first post, everyone using this read it!

@nawe
                  1. great that you managed to get around the UDK without my tool, I personally never use it, coz I'm just used to doing it all manually
                  2. as far as my projects go, they will be posted in the WIP topic when they are evolved enough and when I find time, for now, I have way to much schoolwork and company work to do, we need to rebuild our website, get everything ready for a non-UDK game launch and some software launch, so once that's done, I hope I'll have more time to work on the UDK projects and to finally make this utility a full fledged project manager
                  3. yeah the April update breaks the utility a bit , well not really tested but yeah, will push a new update soon, just need to finish my school- and homework and then I'll see what I can do about this, and maybe add a couple more features, will see

@everyone: any request for any new features are welcome and if they are reasonable I'll try to implement them asap

Comment

Working...
                  X