Question About Porting to UDK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question About Porting to UDK

Hey guys! Congratulations on the success of Prometheus thus far. It's a fun game, and you guys have definitely come a long way. So, I was wondering...how much trouble did you guys go through when porting over to UDK? I'm trying to port my TC project over, but my gun references weapons that don't exist in UT Demo -- namely the Impact Hammer and the Translocator. I've tried adding those weapons to UDK's source code, but even then, I still get the same compile errors telling me they don't exist. Have you any advice as to how I can go about getting my weapon into UDK? It's really the core of the game, and everything else is easily ported...all that's left to port is the weapon. I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to have to completely rewrite the weapon from scratch instead of basing its functionality on the Translocator. Thanks in advance!

For the most part it only took a few days to port it over, my major problems were with my custom weapon as well. I ended up moving it to be a subclass of the Shock Rifle and rewriting some of the functionality it had when it was a sniper rifle. I would recommend recreating the functionality of the translocator in your own class instead of trying to port over the TL code to subclass from.

Comment

My weapon already works like that, actually. It's in its own class that extends UTWeapon, and the projectile it fires extends UTProjectile. Nothing extends from the Translocator or TransDisc classes, though the code is largely identical so it can retain the functionality. All the errors I'm getting now are strange, and almost always just one a time. Right now I feel like I'm really close, but it's telling me there's a bad command or expression in one of the 'If' statements in my weapon's code and I can't figure out why. Yeesh, sounds like I might need to get another serious coder...o_O I'm really determined to port our project over to UDK because the new functionality and standalone capabilities are just incredible, and far too good to pass up!

Comment

If you can post your code here and let me know where the errors are I'd be glad to take a look:
        http://unreal.pastebin.com/

Comment

http://unreal.pastebin.com/m78e1fcfb

Line 36 in that snippet is giving me this message: Error, Bad or missing expression in 'If'

http://unreal.pastebin.com/d294c5aa5

Line 21 in this snippet is giving me this message: Error, 'DemoEndFire': Bad command or expression

If you can help at all, let me know what you think. Tell me if you think this is just going to get too complicated and I'll get together with a better coder and rewrite the weapon entirely if I have to. I'm dying to get this into UDK! Thanks for your help.

Comment

For the first one, do the two classes it's looking for exist? And for the second one, does that function you're calling exist somewhere?

Comment

Wow Angel, thanks a lot for pointing those out. The good news is the scripts compile now. Woo hoo! Now the brick in the face bad news...I can add my weapon to a Weapon Pickup so the game is seeing it and it's package now. The model shows up. The PutDown and Equip animations seem to work. But beyond that? It doesn't function at all. It won't fire the projectile, nor anything at all for that matter, and it won't play WeaponIdle or WeaponFire animations. YARGH!

Comment

HOLY ****! Angel I can't thank you enough for your help. After an incredibly long night doing more scripting than I've ever done in my life, I successfully ported my weapon -- teleportation functionality and ALL -- into UDK, ready to go. Now my mod is ready to become a stand alone game!! I'm even more excited than I was two days ago when this site first went up.

Oh! I do have one last question. My projectile bounces off of brushes and meshes, but it is destroyed when it collides with fluid surface actors and other pawns, i.e. crowd agents and bots. Any idea what function I need to implement to fix that or perhaps gain more control over it? Thank you so much again!

Comment

Glad you got it working. For the projectile problem, it might be calling a damage or destroy function on itself, are you overriding Touch and other similar functions to make sure the projectile isn't trying to damage whatever it's bumping into while destroying itself?

Comment

Working...
                  X