Medusa Pro Released - A 3D Rock Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medusa Pro Released - A 3D Rock Generator

We've just released Medusa Pro, a rock model creator for windows. It is mysteriously difficult to generate realistic rocks...they so often look like blobs even in big budget games. Medusa can turn any shape into a realistic looking rock model and has a wealth of functions including bevel, crack and fold as well as per vertex editing to allow you to generate models for your application that suit your needs. Just like our other product, Forester Pro the tree creator, Medusa automatically generates LODs and collision meshes and each model imports seamlessly into the world editor. Medusa even features a batch creator allowing numerous randomized models to be created at one time. Medusa generates rocks based on real geological principles (finally the geologist on the team is useful).

An introduction tutorial for Medusa Pro can be seen below. Sorry about the geologist narrator, he gets a bit too excited by rocks:

Here's a scene created using models produced in Medusa Pro in about five minutes (a geologist could tell you these are a sequence of fluvial hematitic sandstones and conglomerates):

A free version of Medusa is available, Medusa Lite, which can generate an unlimited number of random models from two different templates (boulders and crags). A license for the registered version Medusa Pro is $30.

You can download Medusa now from our website.

http://www.hptware.co.uk/medusa.php

Suggestions for new features are welcome. All of you who are familiar with our other product Forester Pro the tree generator will know we like to listen to our customers.

I noticed that on the feature list it states that the Pro version produces royalty-free assets. Does that mean that assets created with MedusaLite cannot be used in commercial products?

Either way, this is an awesome Rock Generator and it is an absolute steal at $30!

Comment

Like most free versions we say the lite version shouldn't be used for commercial production, just for development purposes...but then...you could always email us and ask permission, and buy a license if you make money. That seems fair.

We figured $30 was a friendly price We'd prefer to sell many cheap and have it used....we hate being ripped off for software ourselves.

Comment

HI

Your app looks pretty cool - I've got a few questions/notes after watching the video, going through the website & using the demo app:

This page is referenced from a couple of bits of the website, but I get a broken link http://www.hptware.co.uk/rockcatalog.htm

The collision mesh generated is a cool feature; however, for UDK (& other engines) it would be better to have options to create the collision mesh from a minimum set of (multiple) convex hulls instead. Please note this isn't the same as getting UDK to auto-gen collision for you - particularly for rock formations that are hollow such as the one used in the video.

The features list mentions includes diffuse, nomal and specular textures + support for custom textures and materials. What does that mean exactly? There aren't any details on what this actually is.
        For example, if you're creating detail rock formations with creases, etc - does the app generate normal maps for you? How is UV mapping applied and how does it work with normal maps? The texture folder seems to have pre-made normal maps.
        Can the app also generate lightmap UV sets?
        How does the app handle minimising UV islands and texture seams?
        Textures seem to have the odd built in shadow which would technically be incorrect
        Rotating the object in the app with the mouse is incredibly slow - an option to speed it up would be good

Is it possible to upload some exported FBX demo files so that I can see what the final working content looks like please?

Sorry if that seems like a lot of questions, but I'd guess folk like myself (considering buying it) would want to know similar things as well

Cheers
        William

Comment

Hi William,

Here is some answers:

(1) You can export fbx models for UDK from the Lite version....it is actually the full app but can only export models of two templates (those named Medusalite) and only randomly generated versions. You'll find they import right into UDK.
          (2) The app doesn't generate lightmaps, but UDK does it better than we could.
          (3) UDK seems to have an annoying habit of recalculating and simplifying the collision mesh on import (Torque3D doesn't do this...Unity doesn't seem to want to import collision meshes at all). I'm sure there is a way of turning this off, but I have yet to find it. As far as I know you can only import a single collision mesh in an fbx model for UDK.
          (4) The app tries to minimise the number of seams whilst optimizing against texture stretching. UV mapping tends to be the most difficult part of any modelling project...if you've ever tried to generate UVs by hand for rock models you'll know what I mean. I have yet to find an application that can do it without visible seams especially for random shapes.
          (5) Each template has its own diffuse, normal and specular textures. These are not calculated from the model. You'd have to start with a really high poly mesh to do this.
          (6) The diffuse textures are all from photo references of real rocks, taken in overcast conditions to minimize pre-existing shadows. However, some shadowing is necessary on diffuse textures otherwise they'll look very plain. Luckily we have a pet geologist, whose hobby seems to be taking photos of seemingly boring rocks. You can always use your own custom textures (in Medusa or in UDK). We have quite a few dev companies using Forester Pro and they tend to use their own bespoke textures.
          (7) We will add a mouse rotate speed option to preferences in the next release.

On the plus side:

(1) As far as we are aware Medusa is the only tool to generate rocks automatically.
          (2) If you need better quality UVs/mesh, and are a talented artist, then Medusa saves a lot of time in generating a starting point for development.
          (3) It isn't stupidly expensive, and doesn't demand royalties.

Best,
          Matt

Comment

I've bought Medusa Pro, its a great program and cant wait for new features. I have some bugs & feedback to report.

Bugs

1) Importing custom shapes, I get an error "The format of this file does not conform to the Collada format or it contains more than one separate mesh". Using Maya 2014, and exporting the mesh as DAE_FBX.

2) Show Properties, and creating a new rock type will cause Medusa to crash when opening the Rock Properties Menu.

Feedback

1) When exporting models it would be nice to have an option to exclude textures from export.

2) I notice that there is a preview image when exporting, again an option to exclude this feature. Also an option to change the export size of the preview image.

Comment

For now i am not going to buy cos the lite version rocks didnt where so good.
              Ill think about buying this after i get some proper lite rocks.

Lähetetty minun GT-N7100 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Comment

Hi Mugoo,

(1) Can you send us you dae file (support@hptware.co.uk) and we'll have a look at what is happening (we don't have Maya). Often this occurs when more than one mesh is defined in the collada file (if there is more than one geometry).

(2) I guess you have opened two rock properties menus together? Yes this will mean two of them will not close. We'll make a change to prevent this from happening. It is simple.

(3) We certainly can add an option to specify the size of the preview image.

We'll be releasing the next version at the end of the week incorporating lots of suggestions from users including some extra options for UV mapping including a way to edit UV coordinates of faces.

Comment

Hi udkA,

I am a bit confused. The Lite version is free, you don't need to buy it. You can test the more complex templates that require the registered version in the lite version, you just can't export them. The Medusalite templates are relatively simple, but they are pretty accurate representations of bedded sedimentary rock outcrops, in fact they are being used in a simulation application to train geologists. We take some pride in producing lite versions that actually give you something free, rather than annoying demos with short expirations.

Anyway the folded cliff models below were all randomly generated in Medusa, the lite version can generate them, just not export them.

We see Medusa as a way of producing interesting looking, geologically accurate rock models extremely quickly. For many applications the models can be used as is, but they also can be pulled into your favorite editor and customized by hand as a base, if you want to put your own personal stamp on them.

Comment

Dear All,

We've just posted an update to our website of Medusa Pro addressing some of the comments we've received. We've completely reworked the textures so you'll probably want to download and reinstall.

The changes are:

(1) We've reduced the intensity of normal maps and fixed those that had the wrong sense. They now look a whole lot better.

(2) We've fixed a bug that prevented the rock properties menu from being opened on some systems.

(3) We've doubled the mouse rotate speed.

(4) We've put some extra checks on import of collada mesh to capture those not supported by the parser (we are planning to add support for those soon).

Anyway, see an example below of how the textures now look:

Comment

Originally posted by hptware View Post
                      Hi udkA,

I am a bit confused. The Lite version is free, you don't need to buy it. You can test the more complex templates that require the registered version in the lite version, you just can't export them. The Medusalite templates are relatively simple, but they are pretty accurate representations of bedded sedimentary rock outcrops, in fact they are being used in a simulation application to train geologists. We take some pride in producing lite versions that actually give you something free, rather than annoying demos with short expirations.

Anyway the folded cliff models below were all randomly generated in Medusa, the lite version can generate them, just not export them.

We see Medusa as a way of producing interesting looking, geologically accurate rock models extremely quickly. For many applications the models can be used as is, but they also can be pulled into your favorite editor and customized by hand as a base, if you want to put your own personal stamp on them.
                      well i wanted so see what they are like in udk

Comment

Hi udkA,

They look a whole lot better in UDK.....here are some examples of a few of the other model types. All these models are raw exports (i.e. they have not been imported into a 3D editor and fiddled with...although this is possible). And remember all these are randomly produced, each time you randomize the template you get a completely different rock model based on the same class of shape.

We doubled the normal map intensity in the cliff image, which is easy to do in UDK.

Comment

Originally posted by hptware View Post
                          Hi udkA,

They look a whole lot better in UDK.....here are some examples of a few of the other model types. All these models are raw exports (i.e. they have not been imported into a 3D editor and fiddled with...although this is possible). And remember all these are randomly produced, each time you randomize the template you get a completely different rock model based on the same class of shape.

We doubled the normal map intensity in the cliff image, which is easy to do in UDK.
                          they look great i might wanna buy this.

Comment

Version 1.01 of Medusa Pro Launched

We've just launched version 1.01 of Medusa Pro which incorporates some of our customers requests and suggestions.

The main addition to this version is the addition of a whole load of UV mapping options. You can now chose to generate UVs by cube, cylindrical and sphere mapping, and specify the angle limit used to generate seams during projection giving you more control over texturing. We've also added a specially developed function to fix any stretched faces to minimize artifacts. Given the huge range of different rock models that Medusa can produce, the new UV options allow you to optimize textures to ensure they suit your needs.

In addition to the automatic UV mapping techniques we've also added a UV editor so you can manually control the size, orientation and position of UV coordinates on individual or groups of faces. This will let you minimize any visible seams and includes a new project from view function.

A scene created with this latest version of Medusa Pro is shown below. The trees and bushes in this scene are made with our tree generator Forester Pro:

If you've already installed Medusa Pro you can just download the updater here:

http://www.hptware.co.uk/downloads/m...updater101.zip

Otherwise you can find the full installer on our website. The registered version of Medusa PRo is $30. A free version that can produce models of crags and boulders is also available:

Comment

Volcanic Rock Pack 1 Released

We've released our first template pack for Medusa Pro, Volcanic Rock Pack 1, adding five new rock types including materials and new shapes. Volcanic Rock Pack features lavas (cooled lavas...the resulting rocks rather than the runny hot stuff). These models are ideal for volcanic islands, steaming desolate volcanic plains, or even the surface of other worlds as shown below:

Showing the crater of a basaltic shield volcano on Io, a moon of Jupiter.

Showing a glassy fresh pahoehoe flow.

Volcanic Rock Pack 1 features the following templates. Each one can produce a huge variety of models:

The Volcanic Rock Pack is $10 and together with Medusa Pro can be downloaded from our website:

Comment

Working...
                              X