Getting Pixel Art into UDK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Pixel Art into UDK

Hello! This is my first post in this forum and first attempt at a UDK-based tutorial, so please scold me gently if I'm doing something wrong.

I have made a guide of sorts that covers the basics of getting pixel art textures and blocky/low-poly meshes to play nicely with UDK. It's still a bit under construction, so I would love to see what y'all think. It covers the workflow of generating assets, including planning, modeling, unwrapping, texturing, and importing. There's also a quick blurb about particles near the end. I used Maya and Photoshop while working on this, so I don't yet know if it works well with other tools; however, any tool that has a 1:1 unit ratio with UDK should theoretically give you the same results. The guide assumes you have enough skill with each program to generate your average art asset and only covers the specifics when necessary.

Below is a sample image of the WIP level I'm making using this technique-- it was massive when linked directly, so I left it as an imgur link. I also have an album going with a handful of additional images.

Sample image

My imgur album

The guide itself, which is posted on my blog

Please let me know if anything about this is unclear or considered a bad practice in UDK. I'm still a bit new to things and am learning as I go.

This looks really cool! Would love to see more environments made like this

Comment

Working...
    X