No announcement yet.

Water Flow For UDK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice work! Thanks for making the effort!

Comment

Thank You!

Comment

Nice work, thanks for sharing!

Comment

looks very amazing, thanks for sharing it.

Comment

This is amazing. I always wondered how to get that effect where you can alter the direction of where the water is flowing, without doing weird stuff to the mesh itself (my flowing water instances have been rather... ugly). Thanks for sharing it; I made sure to put it into my bookmarks!

Comment

@cridia - it shouldn't do ANYTHING to your mesh because it's a texture/uvcoords effect.
              To simplify it, all you do is take a plane with uv coordinates, create a flowTEXTURE for it and use it in the shader.
              If your mesh gets *weird* from that make sure your shader setup is right, check WorldPosOffset and Displacement/Tesselation.
              Otherwise please post a screenshot so that we can see what stuff your mesh's doing!

Comment

Hi all!
                Thank you for your thanks!

cridia
                without doing weird stuff to the mesh itself
                you can use flow algorithm with DX11 tesselation, by flowing displacement map in the same way as flowing normal map in DX9.

Comment

Well, with weird I meant more that my implementation was rather ugly. I used a very simple way through the UV coordinates to make the water "bend" around corners. It wasn't an exceptional result, but it wasn't like there was anything really wrong with it. Just ugly :P

Comment

super cool man! thanks for sharing

Comment

I received letter with question how flowmaps can be painted with Mesh Paint tool.
                      Post my answer here for people who have interest.

This algorithm uses color representation of vector field. And specific color is a specific direction of flow, or more exactly - distortion of UVs.

I thought about Mesh Paint, but there is few problems which make me refuse this idea.

First of all, in UDK you can't paint flow by moving brush in desired direction. It's only paints selected color.
                      Of course, with editor's source code we would be able to implement our own special brush, with blackjack and hookers, but alas...

If you really want to paint it, you need to look at the scheme, then paint, then look again, paint, look, paint, and so on.

Also, because of UVs distortion, you can see some artefacts.

Texture must be:
                      - unpacked from -1 to 1
                      - not sRGB

All this easily achieves with compression NormalMap or NormalMapUncompressed.
                      By the way, the last one produces best visual results.

And to make it work in the right way, you need to use "Normal" sampler in material.
                      But you can't paint on that sampler type.

So, to paint, you need texture with "Default" compression, unchecked sRGB, assigned to simple texture sampler, and you need to unpack it to (-1;1) in material, using "(tex - 0.5)/0.5" or something similar.
                      And, as I already said, paint, repaint and paint again...

Exists another way by using vertex color, but again, because of UVs distortion and it's artifacts, you need really high-res grid.
                      Valve says that flowmap "relatively low resolution", but this is a little "relatively".
                      It's not a big problem with normal maps, but its VERY noticeable on color textures.
                      I used flowmaps with resolution 1024*1024, and I can't say this is enough.
                      And with UDK limitation 64K tris for mesh, maximum which you can get is 256*256 grid.

In this case, Houdini pipeline, with already implemented forces, slowdown and reflection effects, more simpler and faster.
                      You just need to export your scene, replace models in Houdini nodes, tweak few parameters and thats all.

Comment

Originally posted by redbox View Post
                        So, to paint, you need texture with "Default" compression, unchecked sRGB, assigned to simple texture sampler, and you need to unpack it to (-1;1) in material, using "(tex - 0.5)/0.5" or something similar.
                        Should be (x-0.5)*2 or x*2-1. Sorry Scratch that, I misread yours as /2 instead of /0.5.

You can also manually change UnpackMin settings in the texture properties. This won't have an instant effect but it does work.

Comment

^_^

You can also manually change UnpackMin settings in the texture properties. This won't have an instant effect but it does work.
                          +
                          as option

Comment

This looks incredible! Definitely trying this out!

Comment

Absolute PHD stuff... amazing! Thank you for your effort. That PDF will reside in my toolbox for years to come I'm sure.
                              And the results.. just wow. Even the wet appearance of the adjacent rock, very nice!

What sort of performance can you expect? / have you experienced?

Comment

I already saw such effects in new "Thief" ))

Comment

Working...
                                X