Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UDK in wine

has anyone got this working in wine?
    the farthest I've come is it looking like it runs (but not running) and not giving any errors

I'm using WineSkin in OSX so if I get it working I'll upload a wrapper.

Edit:
    what this thread is not about (and what you shouldn't mention):
    -that any operating system is better than any other operating system.
    -that we should dual-boot (yes, it's easier, but the thread is not about this)
    -that it won't run, it might take a lot of time, but it will run eventually.

Well, that is retarded...

Why in the hell would you buy a Mac?

They have NOTHING to offer. Just basic web browsing that I can get from a netbook for only $300.

Comment

I dont believe he was asking for any opinions on his computer CreativeCoding

As far as wine goes, unreal engine three has never run very well for anyone. Even if you get it working the performance would be WAY too low for anything other than simple maps.

I think your best bet is to dual boot, or pay for Cider(cedega) as it is the best offer for windows game with good performance. I wouldnt keep my hopes for running a stable editor though. For that you truly need a native windows build.

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixWing View Post
        I dont believe he was asking for any opinions on his computer CreativeCoding
        Yeah. I was a little bit off-topic...

But yeah, UDK is a windows program. Just from guessing, you only have 2GB ram, which is low.

Comment

Originally posted by CreativeCoding View Post
          Well, that is retarded...

Why in the hell would you buy a Mac?

They have NOTHING to offer. Just basic web browsing that I can get from a netbook for only $300.
          Wine also runs in Linux. So if you don't have anything constructive to say I'd say to keep you mouth shut. By making comments like that you're only making yourself look retarded.

But still, I'd say running UDK under bootcamp would be wiser IMO. But if you have for example photoshop installed on OSX it will create big workflow issues.

Comment

Originally posted by VeliV View Post
            Wine also runs in Linux. So if you don't have anything constructive to say I'd say to keep you mouth shut. By making comments like that you're only making yourself look retarded.

But still, I'd say running UDK under bootcamp would be wiser IMO. But if you have for example photoshop installed on OSX it will create big workflow issues.

He said OSX...

I speak the truth.

Anyhow, just get a windows computer. Back up your files, and sell that mac. With the money you get, you can buy a good windows computer (preferably alienware) and end up with some leftover money for dinner...

Comment

Originally posted by CreativeCoding View Post
              With the money you get, you can buy a good windows computer (preferably alienware) and end up with some leftover money for dinner...
              Replacing overpriced computer with another overpriced computer I rest my case :P You clearly don't know enough of computer operating systems or the hardware to make a valid argument.

On the other hand this got me interested to test out UDK in Wine. I'll report my findings here.

Comment

Those comments and tips on what computer one wanna use are really just offending.

robin1232, UDK uses libraries that don't quite work under Wine, and Wine falls hopelessly behind the MS API implementations anyways.

Do as I do and double boot your computer with OSX/Windows 7, for the sake of compatibility.

I use OSX for some serious work and I love it. But sometimes I want use Windows 7 and some od the software for it. They are both good OS's.

Comment

Originally posted by VeliV View Post
                  On the other hand this got me interested to test out UDK in Wine. I'll report my findings here.
                  Doesn't work. Requires dotnet 3.5sp1 but wine has only 3.0 available. Quite a lost cause. I suggest you install it on bootcamp.

Comment

More like try again every 2 weeks. At some point the missing bits will be filled in and it will work. Also, what part requires .net 3.5? Is it the just the installer or UDK itself?

If its the installer then maybe installing UT3 (which does work in wine -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJkFyzTPxOE) and then copying over the UDK directory would work?

Comment

UDK is linked to the framework.

Comment

guys, this is not about which operating system is better.
                        you prefer Windows, I prefer OS-X.

I have bootcamp Windows XP, but I have more HD space on my OS-X partition and I have Photoshop installed there.

what I did was copy the files, installing some dependencies and trying to run it.
                        but it doesn't give any error, so it's hard to find out what's wrong.

I'll keep trying.

Comment

That's something that's probably going to really require a developer to delve into it, running wine in GDB, and tracing the whole thing to see what's going on .. You might be able to have more success if you're using as many native Windows DLLs as possible, i'm not sure how much of that you can get away with in wine these days .. i've got a wine installation on my netbook, that is using all wine-supplied DLLs, and although the performance is surprisingly acceptable, the functionality is .. leaving a lot to be desired. Other than this netbook, I won't touch Linux ..

Comment

I'm sure as people have said, there are too many dependencies on microsoft specific libraries. For the .net, you might install Mono... The windows version through wine. Not the mac version.

At least in my case, it helped get a .net program running on a linux server. UDK is leaps and bounds beyond in complexity though.

Comment

Another vote for dual boot scheme. I'm running UDK in xp 64 via bootcamp. Having photoshop in OS X does make for some work flow problems, but at least GIMP is free. UDK runs fine and fast for me (4gb ram MBP). Your other option would be to try to run UDK under parallel desktop, but I assume the memory overhead would be too great to get into anything terribly heavy.

Comment

Working...
                              X