UDK Transfer Utility v2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UDK Transfer Utility v2.0

This is an updated version of my script for developers to transfer their projects to new UDK installations. No more messing with ugly batch files yourself, it's all automatic!

TransferUDKProject.zip

Unzip these two files anywhere on your computer and open up TransferSettings.ini. The settings should be self explanatory, but here's a walkthrough:

Code:
    [Settings]
    OldDir=C:\UDK\UDK-2010-03
    NewDir=C:\UDK\UDK-2010-04
    TmpDir=C:\UDK\UDK-2010-03\TEMP

[TransferFiles]
    Development\Src\MyGame\Classes\*.uc
    UTGame\Script\MyGame*.u
    UTGame\Content\MyGame\MyPackage*.upk

[DeleteEpicFiles]
    UTGame\Content\Maps\DM-Deck.udk
    UTGame\Content\Environments\ASC_Base.upk

[INI=DefaultGame.ini]
    Map=UTFrontEnd.udk#Map=MyFrontEndMap.udk
    ;ModEditPackages=MyMod#ModEditPackages=MyGame

[INI=BaseEngine.ini]
    Fullscreen=False#Fullscreen=True
    GameViewportClientClassName=Engine.GameViewportClient#GameViewportClientClassName=MYGAME.MYGAMEVIEWPORTCLIENT
    The Settings section sets the directory information for the old and new project, along with a temp directory used for the ini transfers (the temp directory shouldn't already exist).

The TransferFiles section is the files you'd like to copy to the new installation. The use of * is important and keeps the transfer automatic, otherwise it would stop and ask you if it was a file or directory.

The DeleteEpicFiles section removes any Epic files that you won't use and don't want cluttering up your directories.

The INI sections copy your ini settings to the new ini files. Directory information isn't needed in the section headers since I've scripted it to find them automatically. These sections aren't used to copy your custom ini files, you should use the TransferFiles section for that. These are just used to insert your custom settings into the new ini files, making sure to keep any changes Epic have made in the new ones.

Each line of the ini sections is formatted like this:
    Code:
    oldsetting#yoursetting
    Once you've made your changes to TransferSettings.ini, double click the batch file to transfer your project!

Enjoy!

[Update for April UDK announcement] With the announcement of the April UDK, I'd like to add that the transfer utility has already been scripted to take into account the UTGame --> UDKGame folder name change, and is both backwards and forwards compatible. You can use either UTGame or UDKGame in the ini settings, the script will automatically detect which directories it needs to use.

Cool, thanks! I can't wait to test it out when the next build is released

Comment

Nice, thanks for this. <3

Comment

Glad to see an old UT face still helping the community. keep up the good work!

Comment

Thanks for doing this!

Comment

Indeed. Manual transference, at least from my limited knowledge standpoint, is a great hassle.

Comment

With the announcement of the April UDK, I'd like to add that the transfer utility has already been scripted to take into account the UTGame --> UDKGame folder name change, and is both backwards and forwards compatible. You can use either UTGame or UDKGame in the ini settings, the script will automatically detect which directories it needs to use.

Comment

Thanks for this, with the april release i found myself in this hassle as someone said above...

one thing i dont get fully:
                "The INI sections copy your ini settings to the new ini files. Directory information isn't needed in the section headers since I've scripted it to find them automatically. These sections aren't used to copy your custom ini files, you should use the TransferFiles section for that. "

if i got my DefaultEngine.ini and DefaultGame.ini (my customized ini files) in the "TransferFiles" section... why would i want to copy settings over those files on your utility? if it directly copies my ini files... they're already set up...

perhaps you can enlighten me on my confusion

thanks a lot for this tool!

Comment

this is a nice time saver to transfer projects , thank you. can't wait to use in the upcoming
                  udk build . Hopefully udk is close to out of beta stage .

seems like they already release the april beta , around 20 minutes ago.

Comment

Originally posted by nsx_nawe View Post
                    if i got my DefaultEngine.ini and DefaultGame.ini (my customized ini files) in the "TransferFiles" section... why would i want to copy settings over those files on your utility? if it directly copies my ini files... they're already set up...
                    If Epic has made any important additions or changes to the default/base ini files, copying yours over them will get rid of their changes and potentially break things. Using the ini sections of my utility will ONLY copy your changed settings over to the new ini files, leaving any Epic changes intact.

Putting an ini file in the TransferFiles section would be for ini files that are unique to your game, like UTMyStuff.ini.

Comment

Originally posted by Angel_Mapper View Post
                      If Epic has made any important additions or changes to the default/base ini files, copying yours over them will get rid of their changes and potentially break things. Using the ini sections of my utility will ONLY copy your changed settings over to the new ini files, leaving any Epic changes intact.

Putting an ini file in the TransferFiles section would be for ini files that are unique to your game, like UTMyStuff.ini.
                      Perfectly reasonable, now i get it... i think i can get by that though using a diff app but this is much more practical...

great, thanks for the quick reply and surely will try out your tool as soon as i get time to work on this...

cheers (Y)

Comment

Nice one doll !!

Comment

Thanks for this cool script.

I haven't used batch scripting for 10 years ^^
                          Can you do me a favour and add three (!) features?
                          I'd like to add sections and to add new keys (with values) to them.
                          Also I'd like to set keys without knowing their values.

Code:
                          [INI=DefaultGame.ini]
                          !!NEWSECTION#[MyPackage.MyClass1]
                          !!NEWKEYVALUE#MyVariable1=MyValue1
                          !!NEWKEYVALUE#MyVariable2=MyValue2
                          !!NEWSECTION#[MyPackage.MyClass2]
                          !!NEWKEYVALUE#MyVariable3=MyValue3
                          !!NEWKEYVALUE#MyVariable4=MyValue4
                          !!ANYVALUE#VersionNumber=UDK-2010-07
                          maybe tia?

Comment

thanx a lot! it's very useful

Comment

Awesome tool, thanks.
                              Though I would be interested in how you add a line to the existing *.ini files (e.g. I want to add "+EditPackages=MyGame" to the [UnrealEd.EditorEngine] section in DefaultEngine.ini). Can the tool do this or do you have to do this manually?

Comment

Working...
                              X