Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

UDK for Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UDK for Linux

I have one qst... When do you release linux versin UDK? Will it be released?

Am also interested in Linux support. But they haven't released the source code so binary distribution will be hard across multiple distros.

Comment

Considering there is no Linux version of UE3.. I don't think they will make a UDK for Linux.

Comment

I thought UE3 did have Linux support. Source: http://www.devmaster.net/engines/eng...ails.php?id=25

Comment

I would like to see this myself, I'm currently working on an open source project that is designed for windows and linux, and if UDK were to go linux supported, it may become easy to justify using UDK for developing it (not quite as open source, however still possible to use).

Comment

Originally posted by baron View Post
            Am also interested in Linux support. But they haven't released the source code so binary distribution will be hard across multiple distros.
            Binary is easier to deploy then source versions. Since during compiling you need dependencies (libs sources), which is more difficult, then a precompiled (with included .so files). And all distributions can run it.
            But, since this is proprietary software, the source release is not possible.

Look at for instance Maya for Linux, it's binary only too, and installs perfectly on every distribution. (other examples are: VMware, Skype)

The only difficult part would be packaging the release for every distro's own package format (.deb for ubuntu is different then that of debian).
            But that can be solved by using "SELF" for the installer, or a crossplatform installation tool.

Comment

Originally posted by baron View Post
              I thought UE3 did have Linux support. Source: http://www.devmaster.net/engines/eng...ails.php?id=25
              Looking at the Official website for UE3 shows it only runs on PC, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. I'm inclined to believe that.

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/feat...ology-overview

Comment

from that website:
                Unreal Engine 2 supports DirectX8 and OpenGL on PC, Mac, Linux, Xbox, and PS2
                so maybe Linux was just supported for version 2...

Comment

Originally posted by JBrandonS View Post
                  Looking at the Official website for UE3 shows it only runs on PC, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. I'm inclined to believe that.

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/feat...ology-overview
                  So, it doesn't run on MS Windows either?

Comment

Originally posted by elmuerte View Post
                    So, it doesn't run on MS Windows either?
                    PC = Windows. But then I get the feeling your just trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by saymoo View Post
                      Binary is easier to deploy then source versions. Since during compiling you need dependencies (libs sources), which is more difficult, then a precompiled (with included .so files). And all distributions can run it.
                      But, since this is proprietary software, the source release is not possible.

Look at for instance Maya for Linux, it's binary only too, and installs perfectly on every distribution. (other examples are: VMware, Skype)

The only difficult part would be packaging the release for every distro's own package format (.deb for ubuntu is different then that of debian).
                      But that can be solved by using "SELF" for the installer, or a crossplatform installation tool.
                      yeah I guess you're right - I have never had problems installing VMWare. I've used NSIS in the past for Windows - does a cross platform installer exist?

Comment

The UDK does work in linux, but you have to know what you are doing ... I mean R E A L L Y know what you are doing in linux.

First you have to get the bleeding edge version of 'wine'. I believe it is 1.1.33, I didn't try it with the stable 1.0.1 version of wine because I had issues with shaders on that version of wine.

Next you need to install DirectX 9.0c and DirectX 10 (XP hacked version) if you want DX10 support.

Last, install UDK using wine.

Run UDK, happy building. It's buggy ... but so is the windows version.

I currently use wine 1.1.33 with DX9.0c and DX10 on Ubuntu 'Jaunty' and 'Karmic' to run Everquest 2 and Assassins Creed. They both run beautifully with full shaders at 1680x1050 on an 8800 GTX.

Comment

Originally posted by chayfo View Post
                          The UDK does work in linux, but you have to know what you are doing ... I mean R E A L L Y know what you are doing in linux.

First you have to get the bleeding edge version of 'wine'. I believe it is 1.1.33, I didn't try it with the stable 1.0.1 version of wine because I had issues with shaders on that version of wine.

Next you need to install DirectX 9.0c and DirectX 10 (XP hacked version) if you want DX10 support.

Last, install UDK using wine.

Run UDK, happy building. It's buggy ... but so is the windows version.

I currently use wine 1.1.33 with DX9.0c and DX10 on Ubuntu 'Jaunty' and 'Karmic' to run Everquest 2 and Assassins Creed. They both run beautifully with full shaders at 1680x1050 on an 8800 GTX.
                          Yes, but this thread is about a native linux udk version. Not a windows version running on Linux (through wine).

Comment

Originally posted by chayfo View Post
                            No offence, but have you tried to run UDK using your own "manual"? Installing DirectX into modern version of wine is like a lethal dose of vaccine - if it won't work, it will kill it. Wined3d libraries work much different from native directx libraries and now level of wine directx support is much better than support using windows libraries, except helper libs.

Also, just installing DirectX9 does nothing - libraries need to be set up via winecfg. And do you really believe in DX10 for windows XP?

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz View Post
                              No offence, but have you tried to run UDK using your own "manual"? Installing DirectX into modern version of wine is like a lethal dose of vaccine - if it won't work, it will kill it. Wined3d libraries work much different from native directx libraries and now level of wine directx support is much better than support using windows libraries, except helper libs.

Also, just installing DirectX9 does nothing - libraries need to be set up via winecfg. And do you really believe in DX10 for windows XP?
                              No offense taken. It's going to take a lot more than a posting on a forum to get me upset. To answer your question, yes I have. Hence running Everquest 2 in DirectX 9.0c and Assassins Creed running in DirectX 10 ... and yes, I run UDK as well in linux.

Like I said in my original post, you REALLY need to know what you are doing in linux. I know installing DirectX9 doesn't automagically make it work, I know you have to edit winecfg, my post was just a brief synopsis, not a step-by-step walkthrough for noobs. The internet has enough walkthroughs already for getting DX9.0c to work in linux, google it if you want instructions. DX9.0c and DX10 are running stable for me. The fact is people have been running DirectX 9 games on Ubuntu since 'gutsy' and 'hardy', maybe even earlier releases. Check out the plethora of videos on YouTube.

I just wanted to point out that you can run the UDK using Wine in linux ... as far as a linux binary version of UDK ... keep on dreaming.

What do you mean "Do I really believe in DX10 for XP?". I run Windows Vista 64-bit Ultimate and Windows 7 64-bit ultimate, there is no need for me to even attempt to run DX10 on XP. Most of the time it won't work in XP because the game detects the OS first and then decides if it can use DX10. I haven't used XP since just before Vista was released to public. My point was I used the DX10 hacked installer for XP to install DX10 on Ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                              X