Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

UDK for MacOS X

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UDK for MacOS X

Is there any information about UDK for Mac? Will it be released?

May be there will be no release bcoz i see the .Net framework is required to setup UDK here. I like your thought by the way!

Comment

I think it isn't a big problem for porting: EpicGames announced Mac version of UT3 in 2007 (information from Wikipedia and maclife.com), but now I can't find any info about this so you seem to be right. But does exist any official info?

Comment

As said, there are a number of things relying on .NET, so that makes it unlikely.
        However, I think it's just the editor which relies on .NET so much, so Mac/Linux versions of the base engine/runtime might still be possible.

Comment

As far as I know Unreal Editor is mostly based on wxWidgets, there is a Linux/Mac version of toolkit available. I don't know, where .NET is used in UDK, but there is also mono project for Mac/Linux with poor .NET compatibility

Still, all this story around Mac/Linux version of UT3 is frightening and I'm afraid we are not getting UDK before UT3

Comment

Yea, I'm still waiting on that linux port of UT3 :/

Not holding my breath anymore though

Comment

Actually, http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page Mono is an opensource .Net development framework for linux osX and windows. It's a bit behind where epic needs it to be, but I dont think that .net is the main reason for not porting the engine.

Comment

no, actually, the main reason why is because the pc version runs on DirectX (9.0c) and mac can only handle OpenGL, macsoft is porting, but they're also still working on an age of empires III expansion (like anyone is going to buy that...).

anyway, I think that its gonna be released as soon as UT3 and Gears of War come for mac, but thats probably gonna take a long, long time.

Comment

Originally posted by robin1232 View Post
                  no, actually, the main reason why is because the pc version runs on DirectX (9.0c) and mac can only handle OpenGL
                  PlayStation 3 version runs on OpenGL

Seems like you are not following Icculus with his news about Linux/Mac port.

Ryan "Icculus" C. Gordon already posted two screenshots with Unreal Tournament running on Linux and Mac, using mojoshader (translator for directx shader language, afaik UE3' render pipeline is fully based on shaders)

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz View Post
                    PlayStation 3 version runs on OpenGL

Seems like you are not following Icculus with his news about Linux/Mac port.

Ryan "Icculus" C. Gordon already posted two screenshots with Unreal Tournament running on Linux and Mac, using mojoshader (translator for directx shader language, afaik UE3' render pipeline is fully based on shaders)
                    where can I find it then?
                    cant find anything at all on http://icculus.org/

Comment

There is a link to his mercurial repository: you can download mojo only form it (as i understand).

Comment

where can I find it then?
                        cant find anything at all on http://icculus.org/
                        http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/finger/fi...&time=06-38-30

I think Jazz meant to follow him on Twitter.

Comment

Icculus took over 2 years to do many of his ports.. It's been exactly 2 with UT3 now, so you never know.

Comment

Well, I'm a mac user and would LOVE to have UDK run natively on my comp. I could use XP, or figure it out in Wine... but it would be nice to have it on OS X.

We have to wait ~2 years?

Comment

Originally posted by Megam4n View Post
                              We have to wait ~2 years?
                              Well, 2 years passed and Unreal Tournament 3 is not published yet, so no one knows

As for wine, Unreal Editor never worked good through it. I've tried to install UDK, but failed even on winetricks installation of framework.

Comment

Working...
                              X