Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Sacrifice

Default DARKNADO: FPS Survival Terror

Welcome to Project Fujita. Initially started as a collaborative entry level game project that combines Tornado Destruction, Survival Terror, and Storm Chasing into a First-Person/Third-Person Multi-player Survival Warfare. The project originated and combined game play concepts conceived in the following threads 1 and 2. This is the official WIP Thread and will serve as a living design and development document. As of 04/09/2014 UDK development has ceased. However, game story and concept will continued to be developed and migrated to UE4.

Target Audience

Project Fujita is geared towards talented individuals of various level, seeking to enhance their portfolios, and boost their experience working with UDK in an online team structure. We are particularly in need of Modular Art Assets for Architecture, Characters/Monsters, and Vehicles. All contributions: assets, scripts, documentation, and others are considered to be property of the UDK Community reserved for use in ProjectFujita Game(s) and promotion.

The Game: DARKNADO

DARKNADO pits a band of Survivors on a Futuristic Man-made Byland in which Dimensional Portals materialize in the form of massive Mobile Vortices, destroying all in the path and spewing out hordes of monsters from unknown dimensions. The Vortices also bring other-worldly power-ups and weapons left in the wake of destruction. Players must scavenge ruins for power-ups to maintain stamina and weapons to defend themselves in seeking refuge in undamaged safe houses.

Inspired by several Films and Games: Sharknado, Cloverfield, The Mist, Left4Dead, Unreal Tournament, Dead Island, EDF 2017, and Battlezone 1998. DARKNADO aims to intermix intense action combat and creepy down-time moments (to scavenge ruins for supplies) with opportunities for Jump Scares. And many other elements.

Multi Multi-Player: Four Genres, One Open-World Level Map

The Fujita
    Destruction Sim Genre

Vortex Portals dubbed Fujita, destroy all in their path, gathering energy, increasing in mass and power to inflict greater havoc. The power they generate is so intense that they warp time and space, pulling hordes of monsters from other dimensions into our own. These outer-worldly creatures vary in size, speed, and attack strategy. Played in Third-Person/Third-Person Orbital, the Fujita earn points based on the amount destruction they inflict on the architecture, PC and NPC consumed by monsters.

Survivor
    Survival Horror Genre

The Survivor (Human), limited on weapons and resource must scavenge health/stamina supplies needed to maintain energy levels to reach designated temporary Storm Shelters (safe zone) for cover. Played in First-Person, Survivors earns points by scavenge ruins for valuable Trinkets, and safely reaching safe zones and surviving the wrath of the Fujita.

Storm Force (Militarized Storm Chaser)
    Action Shooter Genre

Storm Force Soldiers (Human/Vehicle) are skilled Storm Chasers/Soldiers that hunt down Fujita with Tornado Interceptor Vehicles are outfitted with sophisticated GPS and Armor allowing them to withstand significant damage. They also have access to Modern and Experimental (Sci-Fi) Weapons and Utilities. Played in 3rd-Person (Primary)/First-Person (In-the cockpit) Storm Chasers earn points by hunting down the elemental monsters and successfully launching/activating The Storm Trapper Probes.

Storm Force Engineer Corp(Vehicle)
    RTS and Construction Genre

SFEC has the tools and skills to gather scraps, reprocess, and rebuild destroyed architecture. Played in First-Person, SFEC earns points by their rebuilding time.

Starting Point

I've established a Perforce (P4) Server and Dropbox for the Project. If you're interested, use the registration form to provide info I can use to set up your credentials. I believe in using the tools I have available and the form automates setup. You aren't joining Arcade Komodo Developers Network, so if you don't have a Online Portfolio, just fill in required fields with: www.udk.com. I'll reply with your credentials via email. Once you have the credentials, follow this Tutorial to set up and you're ready to rock with Project Fujita. UnrealEd has built-in P4 source control support. New to P4? Take a look at the How to use Perforce Client Videos. I'll assist with any questions.
    The Team
    McTune
    Game-play Design/Programmer, Level Design, Geneal Artist (Props)
    Chay Hawk Level Design
    TechLord Game-play Design/Programming, Admin Support
    Aceronn
    Game-play Design/Programmer
    MoreRagtime
    General Artist
    Haytham
    Level Design, Environmental Artist
    Open Character Artist & Animator
    Open SoundFX, Music Engineer
    The Downloads
    Media Kit The Official Project Fujita Promotional Logo (png format)
    Last edited by TechLord; 04-09-2014 at 10:52 PM.
    UMECHS Compendium
    Catalog of Modular 3D Entities

The Sacrifice

Default TO DO List: Game-Play Implementation and Engineering Strategy (UPDATED!)

Current State Progress Video

STEP 1: Reverse Engineer UTGame (Complete )

1. Create Empty UDK Project (Done!)
    2. Clone and Consolidate UTGame, UTGameContent, and UTEditor into ProjectFujita super class (Done!)
    3. Replace 'UT' with a new Prefix 'F6' (Done!)
    4. Compile and Execute (Done!)

Although, this may appear tedious and unnecessary, this process has allowed me to quickly distinguish and dissect the structure of UTGame Code and Configuration. I also needed to reduce a couple of layers of code-hiding inheritance to make the code easier to see whats going on.

STEP 1b: Rename/Relocate UT Content and Packages. (Work In Progress)

I can successfully compile script and run ProjectFujita in UnrealEd. However, DM-Deck Map is empty. I have to remap ActorClasses in the Level Maps from UT to F6 prefix. I'm forced to get acquainted with UnrealEd and all the Tools. Due to relocating and renaming assets, UnrealEd cannot be locate the assets are removed upon load. This requires me to manually rebuild nodes with the new relabeled nodes. Not necessarily a bad thing in itself, but time consuming. All of the UTAnimNodes extend from UDKAnimNode with zero modification.

1. Remapped Human Animtree Nodes (Done!)
    2. Remapped Phys_Materials (Done!)
    3. Repopulate DM-Deck with Actors (Done!)
    4. Rebuild VCTF-Necropolis with Actors (Hold)
    5. Rebuild Server Menus (Done!)
    6. Rebuild Mutators(WIP). Step 5 has a dependency on this.

STEP 2: Define Players: Tornado, Survivor, Storm Chaser, and Monstrosities.

Out of these there Player Types, the Tornado is the most unique to the UTGame. The the sheer body and scale of the Fujita compared to the other characters will require some highly customized code. I intend to use McTune's Tornado implementation to construct the body component. However, if I'm left to my own devices, I will be pulling design notes from my Golem Construction System, which essentially creates animated monsters from an assortment of Fragments (physics objects) suspended in force fields bound to an animated skeleton.

STEP 3: Destruct/Reconstruct-abled Architecture

I'd imagine that Destructible Architecture would need to be re-spawnable, deal with lighting somewhat realistically: real-time shadows, varied strength/resistance to destruction (for some reason the story of Three Little Pigs come to mind), and be inhabited/navigated by player/bot. I have every intention of using APEX Destruction. Most demos I've seen using Apex uses a projectile vs static wall, I can see a manually controlled projectile (force burst) being useful, giving the Player Tornado even more interactivity in the destruction process.

I would like to implement Modular Human Character for flexibility. The Modular Pawn UDK Gem already provides the start up code, just need to get some geometry assets. I'm no artist, so I'm seeking out freely available character assets.

STEP 3b: Camera Lens Effects in Full Effect.

Although the game is played in First and Third Perspectives, I will implement all view for testing. I'm going to implement Camera Lens Effects for Weather, Day/Night Cycle, LensFlares, and Lightning Effects. I'm seeking for pre-written source for these effects. Looking for donations.

STEP 4: Weapons

I'm going to take advantage of the current UTGame codebase using the weapons system to implement projectiles. Player Tornadoes will use the system to toss debris, emit high-wind force burst, lightening bolts, all manners of destruction. Stormchaser can utilize the rocket launcher to launch probes into the Tornado. I anticipate rapid implementation code-wise, however, content-wise we need to design new representations at least for the probe launcher. Most likely use some translucent tentacle thingy to represent a Tornado Arm of destruction.

STEP 4b: Trinkets and Power-Aid

I'm going to take advantage of the current UTGame codebase to create pickups. Regenerative Health Pickup will use the UTGame implementation. I mentioned Trinkets, these are items that spawn in destroyed (pre -reconstructed) locations. Scavenger Hunt for Survivors.

STEP 5: Modularize GameInfo Behaviors

Once I'm able to successfully compile and run. My next goal will be to analyze the gameinfo gametypes and identify code handling the shared and unique game-play behaviors define within each. Once I'm able to id these game-play behaviors, I will attempt to isolate and compartmentalize the game-play behaviors into self-contained segments that be added/removed to create new gametypes in a modular fashion.
    Last edited by TechLord; 10-11-2013 at 04:43 AM.
    UMECHS Compendium

The Sacrifice
    Last edited by TechLord; 07-26-2013 at 08:30 PM.
    UMECHS Compendium

The Sacrifice

Bonus Gametypes: Sharknado? Zombinado? Giant Arachnonado?

LOL!!!
    UMECHS Compendium

Nice, I think it would be a decent idea to add a game mode allowing more survivors, like it could be more than just a battle against the tornado. and that leaves room for possible teamwork, which is always rewarding in games to function well as a team. And are we going for photo realism? or are we going to have an art style for the game?

The Sacrifice

Quote Originally Posted by More Ragtime View Post
    Nice, I think it would be a decent idea to add a game mode allowing more survivors, like it could be more than just a battle against the tornado. and that leaves room for possible teamwork, which is always rewarding in games to function well as a team. And are we going for photo realism? or are we going to have an art style for the game?
    Sharknado Gametype was a bad joke on my part. Can you elaborate on 'adding more survivors'. I like the idea of Teamwork and it just makes sense. Most of console games I purchase must have a Story Co-Op Mode. I did anticipate the implementation of simple follow-the-leader teamwork AI for Bots. Player based teamwork could be much broader (Left 4 Dead and Army of Two come to mind).

I honestly don't have a particular art-style, but, when I visualize game-play in my mind's-eye, photo-realism is what I envision. I'm most likely being influenced by all the movies (Twister, Cloverfield, Nailbiter, Sharknado) and tornado footage I've watched. Additionally, I live in Oz and I've seen Tornadoes up close and personal. I might be biased, but, I do believe photo-realism will enhance the fear-factor and significantly separate this product from Tornado Jockey. I'll leave the decision in the hands of the Artists. If a vote is taken, you know where I stand.
    UMECHS Compendium

The Sacrifice

I gonna agree with Ragtime. welcome to the group by the way.

so More Ragtime your an artist, graphic artist or are you a modeler as well? I am just trying to touch base figure out what's up. If you do model I have a few things to go over with ya. If your not then we should find a modeler otherwise this project is going to take way to long.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I like it all so far, do we have any concept art? any ideas on how big the map will be? Also i know someone from the forums here who can make us music if need be.

Oh and is project fujita the official title or is it a working title?
    Last edited by Chay Hawk; 07-19-2013 at 02:15 PM.

The Sacrifice

Quote Originally Posted by Chay Hawk View Post
    I like it all so far, do we have any concept art? any ideas on how big the map will be? Also i know someone from the forums here who can make us music if need be.

Oh and is project fujita the official title or is it a working title?
    My Wife advised this is more so Survival Terror, not Survival Horror. She don't play Video Games. Go Figure.

Project Fujita is the project title and pseudo-working title, codename: F6. Lets have some fun brainstorming some game titles and vote for an official one after we get some decent game-play working. The current titles swirling in my head is: `Force(s) Of Nature (The Sequel to FoN)`, `F U J I T A 6`, `Freaks Of Nature`, `N I M B U S`, 'HellstoneS', `DARKNADO`, `Rain of Terror`, `UPDRAFT`, `s u r v i v e.`, `Horn of the Unicorn`, `The Vortex`

Concept Art? Reference the banner image at the top of thread, inspiration the movies Cloverfield and Twister. Photo-Realism, Modern Architecture, City and densely populated Towns. We need plenty of places for Tornadoes to smash, and Survivors to hide. Additional concept art will require online/real-world research on your part.
    Last edited by TechLord; 07-26-2013 at 06:43 AM.
    UMECHS Compendium

MSgt. Shooter Person

What about models? buildings arent hard to make but what about the street lights, cars etc? how big is this city? also if i make everything out of BSP were going to have some performance issues. If the city is really big that is. I would at least like a drawing of the map, even if its a crude Microsoft Paint one, I need an idea of what im doing here i cannot work blindly.

As for Project names ill think of some, one off the top of my head is Dark Wind.
    Last edited by Chay Hawk; 07-19-2013 at 07:18 PM.

The Sacrifice

What about models? buildings arent hard to make but what about the street lights, cars etc? how big is this city? also if i make everything out of BSP were going to have some performance issues. If the city is really big that is. I would at least like a drawing of the map, even if its a crude Microsoft Paint one, I need an idea of what im doing here i cannot work blindly.

As for Project names ill think of some, one off the top of my head is Dark Wind.
    D E S T R U C T I O N is a major element of the game and in my opinion, everything has to be destroyable. I'd anticipate destructible Architecture will be modular, constructed from Static meshes for Debris Fragmentation and Re-spawnabilty. Other considerations: deal with lighting somewhat realistically: real-time shadows, varied strength/resistance to destruction (three little pigs), and utilize dynamic NavMeshes for navigation/occupation by player/bot. I'd expect to make heavy use APEX Destruction and the Fracture Tools. Additionally, how the architecture is assembled could be useful in its destruction. With these considerations, I'm certain BSP will NOT be used. McTune has developed destructible buildings, I would consider him the subject matter expert.

For Reference, perhaps you can try Google Earth and zoom in on a section of New York or Town of your choice. The starter map size 3x3 City Blocks? Need the Level Designers to weigh in on this. Perhaps we can employ ProcBuildings to populate the map. MoreRagtime is handling Props I believe (please correct me if im wrong), however, I'd encourage everyone to scavenge the net for Free high-quality props.
    Last edited by TechLord; 07-19-2013 at 09:56 PM.
    UMECHS Compendium

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ok, i can do that, but im not very good with lighting though. I know how to use it and change colors and make different types and all that but i dont know how to make it realistic looking. If MoreRagtime can make me some roads and some sidewalk corners then it would be an immense help, you have no idea how difficult its going to be if i have to go back and re size things.
    Last edited by Chay Hawk; 07-19-2013 at 10:29 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Is this on an island? Sorry for the 20 questions but the more information i have the better i can make it. I think im going to let the new guy work on the terrain and ill work on the buildings.

Also where are we getting textures from?
    Last edited by Chay Hawk; 07-20-2013 at 04:29 PM.

The Sacrifice

Is this on an island? Sorry for the 20 questions but the more information i have the better i can make it. I think im going to let the new guy work on the terrain and ill work on the buildings.
    We need even more questions. We are in the design phase. I would vote YES for a Island. In fact, McTune and I was discussing this here. Advantages to using Island:
    1. Logically fuse various types environments (ie: city, farm, tropical, forest, beach,etc) on a single map.
    2. Suitable for Open World or in singular level section loading without breaking immersion. Sorta like what GTA's Liberty City and Dead Island.
    3. Extendible. There are several Man made Islands. This could also serve as plot device and back-story.

I'm outlining the game mechanics based on a Open World or what I call a Infinite Level Map (a multiplayer map with no endgame rules). These game-play mechanisms will be suitable for both open world and tournament style game play modes. Here's my current list of Game-Play Mechanics:
    • AI Controlled: Tornadoes, Survivors, Storm Chasers. These Entities are re-spawned by the AI even if no Human controlled players are in the Map. The process of Destruction/Re-spawning is continuous so that human players can enter the map at anytime and immediately get into the action.
    • Destruction Power Charge. Tornadoes destroy, that's what they do. We award destruction. Earn more power to wreak more havoc, with more destruction. This is a charge-up meter game-play mechanism that drives the motivation to destroy greater and greater during game-play.
    • Destructible Architecture Reconstruction (respawn). Architecture Fragments aka Debris pose a threat to survival. We have to replenish the map with Architecture to destroy and threats to survival.
    • Permanent Death. Not much incentive to stay alive if you can be reincarnated forever without severe penalty.
    • Energy consumption and Energy Recharge Pickups. This is a simple game-play mechanism. Players consume energy by their existence alone, they require a fuel source to replenish. Re-spawning Pickups in various locations drive the motivation to take risk, scavenge and navigate the environment.
    UMECHS Compendium

Alright sorry for my absence, im out on vacation right now and i should be back eaither sunday or wenesday. As for my artistic abilities, my strongest feild is 3D modeling, I can do scene creation (could be helpful for promoting the game and creating a team logo intro), I'm getting better at graphic arts and texturing but its not my strongest feild. Although i think i could do a sufficient job, but i mostly make my textures in gimp. I do have access to a nice DSLR camera so i could spend some time going around taking pictures of the enviroment and props,and touching them up for texture use. but there are some textures that we are going to have to make in image manipulating programs (gimp, photoshop, etc.) but i think it would be possible to make a decent enough texture to fit in photorealism with good reference photos and time.

But for the teamwork im thinking; friendly fire and co-op similar to l4d. not to try to clone the team work experience in the game, but to use as somewhat of a template. Also i think it would be to cool to have a subway system in one map that could collapse in certain parts of the tunnel. Another idea would be for the "safe zone" type objective, that would be to locate the airport and fly an aircraft out of the storm but your path isn't given to you. You have to use the enviroment around you to find out where the "safe zone" is located, weather its a sign saying "airport in 2 miles" or you can see the safety bunker at the top of a building. And to avoid linear replay you shouldn't be given a map and spawn locations should be random. And i think for teamwork, the players should be non-ai persons. but a possiblility of picking up AI survivors that act like an extra life for people that die and the AI could do some work. But i also like the full rouge-like idea. Im thinking that supplies should be scarce enough that there is a possibility of having players turn on each other. I also think weapons should be in the game but they would be a scarcity. i think tools would be an intrerseting aspect of a game if added, where if you had a crowbar you could get through debris or pry open an ambulance door to get medication, Maybe a certian tools could get the job done faster, like a sledge hammer would get through a wall faster than a crowbar would. and a crowbar would pry open a door faster than a sledge hammer could knock one down. And maybe sledge hammers can only knock down wooden doors and you would need jaws of life or a crow bar for a metal door. explosives possibly to get through walls, but they would be a rare find. medication could also be a sizable part of supplies, crutches for a broken leg ( if limb damage was implimented), gauss, temporary pain killers, and something for a more permanent fix. I also like the idea of energy comsumption. I feel like it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a gamemode where the tornado is AI and there isn't any storm chasers. putting more pressure on the players.

I'm thinking having unpredictable obsticle come about would make each game all the more differn't allowing a better survival experience to more experienced players. and these events would detail: bridges collapsing, falling buildings causing blockage, and general path obstrustions. I think this would allow the player to have to think more also. But the maps and game mechanics would have to be engineered to have ways to get through every obsticle present. wether it is having drivable boats, tunnelable debris with explosives, and so fourth.
    but these are all crude ideas that i don't expect to be more than just brainstorming content, so what do you guys think?
    also sorry if some of this doesn't make sense or the ideas are unstable, im not exactly to clear minded right now because i have a crowd of shouting people around me.
    Last edited by More Ragtime; 07-20-2013 at 07:13 PM.

The Sacrifice

Alright sorry for my absence, im out on vacation right now and i should be back eaither sunday or wenesday. As for my artistic abilities, my strongest feild is 3D modeling, I can do scene creation (could be helpful for promoting the game and creating a team logo intro), I'm getting better at graphic arts and texturing but its not my strongest feild. Although i think i could do a sufficient job, but i mostly make my textures in gimp. I do have access to a nice DSLR camera so i could spend some time going around taking pictures of the enviroment and props,and touching them up for texture use. but there are some textures that we are going to have to make in image manipulating programs (gimp, photoshop, etc.) but i think it would be possible to make a decent enough texture to fit in photorealism with good reference photos and time.

But for the teamwork im thinking; friendly fire and co-op similar to l4d. not to try to clone the team work experience in the game, but to use as somewhat of a template. Also i think it would be to cool to have a subway system in one map that could collapse in certain parts of the tunnel. Another idea would be for the "safe zone" type objective, that would be to locate the airport and fly an aircraft out of the storm but your path isn't given to you. You have to use the enviroment around you to find out where the "safe zone" is located, weather its a sign saying "airport in 2 miles" or you can see the safety bunker at the top of a building. And to avoid linear replay you shouldn't be given a map and spawn locations should be random. And i think for teamwork, the players should be non-ai persons. but a possiblility of picking up AI survivors that act like an extra life for people that die and the AI could do some work. But i also like the full rouge-like idea. Im thinking that supplies should be scarce enough that there is a possibility of having players turn on each other. I also think weapons should be in the game but they would be a scarcity. i think tools would be an intrerseting aspect of a game if added, where if you had a crowbar you could get through debris or pry open an ambulance door to get medication, Maybe a certian tools could get the job done faster, like a sledge hammer would get through a wall faster than a crowbar would. and a crowbar would pry open a door faster than a sledge hammer could knock one down. And maybe sledge hammers can only knock down wooden doors and you would need jaws of life or a crow bar for a metal door. explosives possibly to get through walls, but they would be a rare find. medication could also be a sizable part of supplies, crutches for a broken leg ( if limb damage was implimented), gauss, temporary pain killers, and something for a more permanent fix. I also like the idea of energy comsumption. I feel like it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a gamemode where the tornado is AI and there isn't any storm chasers. putting more pressure on the players.

I'm thinking having unpredictable obsticle come about would make each game all the more differn't allowing a better survival experience to more experienced players. and these events would detail: bridges collapsing, falling buildings causing blockage, and general path obstrustions. I think this would allow the player to have to think more also. But the maps and game mechanics would have to be engineered to have ways to get through every obsticle present. wether it is having drivable boats, tunnelable debris with explosives, and so fourth.
    but these are all crude ideas that i don't expect to be more than just brainstorming content, so what do you guys think?
    also sorry if some of this doesn't make sense or the ideas are unstable, im not exactly to clear minded right now because i have a crowd of shouting people around me.
    I cannot wait to go on my one week vacation in August

My goal is to use as much of the UTGame code-base I can, without it appearing like UTGame. A significant majority of the game-mechanics mentioned currently exists. It will really come down to Asset creation. Team work mechanics will require a few modifications to get up and running. Here are some approaches I can take to implement Team Healing using the available UTGame mechanics:
    • Use the weapon system to spawn and throw Power Aid (grenades) in which other Survivors can pick up to recharge.
    • Damage Inversion. Use invisible LinkGun/Beam to target and heal Survivors in short range.

Other teamwork actions could entail moving obstructions as a group (the bigger the obstruction, the more survivors required), acting as Beacon for Safe Zone Location, Opening/Closing Doors and gates being forced opened by Wind forces. Holding on to Survivors being sucked into vortex.

About the Subway. I was visualizing something similar, a network of storm drain tunnels that interconnect the Storm Shelters that are all part of a re-purposed nuclear fall out shelter network. The navigation in these areas are controlled and not freely accessible. We don't want players just loitering in the tunnels and safe zones. We have to keep them moving, keep them in fear. From a asset creation perspective, a maze of corridors. Storm Shelters are also destructible/re-spawnable w/ super high resistance. They may also have a occupancy limitation. Storm Shelters would probably be a good place to spawn. I don't think heading for the Airport is a good idea when a Tornado is in the area - lol. You simply don't have that kind of time.

I like the idea of Bridges collapsing, falling buildings causing blockage, and general path obstructions. Totally believable after a rampaging Tornado rolls through and fits into the role of environmental threats. I would anticipate these to be post-tornado events, triggered by Players when they reach a certain location. May require a dynamic trigger and scripted events system? Although, the destruction initiation process is triggered differently, I would prefer to make use of the same systems used to allow Tornadoes to destroy architecture in real-time.

The above brings up a few concerns on how architecture and structures are constructed for destruction and re-spawning. I'm looking at implementations from a Open World/Infinite Level Map perspective. This means the players can enter level or be anywhere in the level at any given time. This creates a logistics problem. Imagine you're a Survivor scavenging through some ruins for some rare items. All of a sudden, fresh buildings materialize out of thin air around you, or you're character is zapped to another area in the middle of your search. These are immersion breakers in my opinion. I would prefer to influence all players in these areas to move out of the area (out of view) to perform the reconstruction. I'm looking for input from you guys on handling this.

Hurricane Katrina proved that a few people will turn on others in the wake of a massive natural disaster. Simply enabling friendly fire allows this to occur. Players could also choose not to assist others. I think this should be an implicit feature, not explicit. In other words, we don't advertise it. Additionally, the reward for teamwork should be greater than the reward for hurting other Survivors. There's already a massive threat and you're completely powerless against it. The best thing you can do is help your fellow Humans out and run like hell for safety, or not. This is definitely a meta morality test.
    Last edited by TechLord; 07-21-2013 at 03:05 AM.
    UMECHS Compendium

MSgt. Shooter Person

Here is a building i made in UDK

http://content.screencast.com/users/...07-20_2221.png

Its not done yet, i still have alot more work to do on it but what do you think so far?
    Last edited by Chay Hawk; 07-21-2013 at 01:03 AM.

The Sacrifice

Hi all, sorry I don't have time to read all that you've wrote above. I on a sorta break using a borrowed laptop. will catch up later!

More Ragtime congrates on the vacation. I understand the lack of time I am a firefighter so for next couple months at least if ya don't hear from me for days or weeks I not ditching I'll be back when I can.

@ Clay Hawk; cool building see I knew you was BSing when you said you had an attention span problem. What did you use to model that? ... you just didi it with BSP ? if so that's cool you can export it an an .obj and we can run it through Apex make it destructible.

@ everyone we will need to use Apex for the destruction, UDK does have a fracture tool but it does not react to rigid bodies, I know we all want that great Dynamic destruction so ... here watch this turorial vid showing how to do what I talking about.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYPEE-abGpA
    if you played the broken half demo I gave you guys you can see first hand.

@ More Ragtime; what do you use to model? I use 3ds max and have used this
    http://www.tysonibele.com/Main/Build...uildingGen.htm
    It be a good thing to bust out some buildings quickly, at least for prototyping purposes.

@ Techlord; have any idea how to get those fractured parts and or rigid bodies to kill the player yet? I gave ya a few meshes, the little walls with the targets I made just for you man. so you can start solving that prob.
    also I was thinking about how to turn th eplayer to Feign death. perhaps a trigger attached to the tornado? what do ya think
    Last edited by McTune; 07-21-2013 at 10:25 AM.

i just remembered i had a few city building made for a project i was making a while ago. http://i.imgur.com/LTzms.jpg
    please excuse the low sample rate and the horribly textured road. for textures on the building i used CG textures, so i don't know the legal agreements on that if we were to use them in game.
    @techlord i think there should be a distant fog, and behind the fog the map can be generated.
    @mctune i use blender for modeling and gimp for texturing and graphic design, and i apperciate your understanding.

MSgt. Shooter Person

"see I knew you was BSing when you said you had an attention span problem." Lol well I still have an attention span problem, its just with things i dont like. I usually sit at UDK and build for 7 or 8 hours straight when im really concentrated. I dont know how many buildings we need but ill keep finding references on the web and building them. Oh and yes i did use UDK's brush tool to make it .

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ok I have been working on the building and here is a updated version of it. Its pretty close to finished, i just need to get some more textures for the interior, put in some stairs and change those awful windows.

http://content.screencast.com/users/...07-21_1526.png

Also who will make the colision model for it when i export it as a .obj file?

The Sacrifice

Nice
    And yes either .fbx or .obj. will do fine, Apex does the collision, or I can if you like. doesn't take long. But If you wouldn't mind I would like to break it down into smaller pieces. Modular building get more out of it!

Oh and I believe using textures from cgtextures is fine.
    Last edited by McTune; 07-21-2013 at 06:27 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks yes im using textures from cgtextures, pretty nice place. What do you mean by break it down?

The Sacrifice

Default Please advise if you DO or DO NOT have the P4 Client working. Thanks.

Here is a building i made in UDK...Its not done yet, i still have alot more work to do on it but what do you think so far?
    Looking real sweet! So you can export BSP to OBJ. There may be a use for BSP after all.

Quote Originally Posted by McTune View Post
    @ everyone we will need to use Apex for the destruction, UDK does have a fracture tool but it does not react to rigid bodies...It be a good thing to bust out some buildings quickly, at least for prototyping purposes.... have any idea how to get those fractured parts and or rigid bodies to kill the player yet? I gave ya a few meshes, the little walls with the targets I made just for you man. so you can start solving that prob. also I was thinking about how to turn th eplayer to Feign death. perhaps a trigger attached to the tornado? what do ya think
    Reactive Debris. I'm currently rebuilding AnimTrees and the DM-Deck Level Map. I'm touching every aspect of UTGame code-base and every UnrealEd Tool in this process. My current frame of thought is use different Physical Materials for Players and Debris, query for collision between Type 1 (Player) and Type 2 (Debris) objects, then trigger feign death or apply a force to throw the Player. I would prefer that only very large chunks of debris register damage. Chunks large enough for a player to avoid if possible.

I'm not certain this type of collision detection is possible with APEX Chunks in flight, although there is collision detection between chunks on the ground and the player. Thus, my backup plan is to use what I call a Mortar Mortar. The concept: a projectile weapon that launches 1 or more specific chunks (projectiles) in a specified direction/velocity during a triggered event. Perhaps the Fracture Tool can be useful in this regard. It can also be useful for creating partially destructible architecture (ie concrete structures with steel framework). We don't need all the fragments to be physically interactive, more so for eye candy. I would at least like to test it. Performance and complexity will dictate the implementation, if any.

@techlord i think there should be a distant fog, and behind the fog the map can be generated.
    Fog could provide a quick and dirty method to hide reconstruction, but, we'll need to influence the players to relocate out of the zone to avoid breaking immersion. I believe this can be managed by simply spawning power-aids and activating Safe zones away from a `Reconstruction Zone`.

...What do you mean by break it down?
    I'd speculate he means to break it down into modular pieces: columns, wall panels, window panels, ledges, roofing panels. Referenced: Modular Design.
    UMECHS Compendium

The Sacrifice

Thanks yes im using textures from cgtextures, pretty nice place. What do you mean by break it down?
    You mean where I said?
    break it down into smaller pieces. Modular building get more out of it!
    key word there is 'Modular' make smaller pieces that can be used in more ways. even create a variety of buildings.
    I have a large set of modular walls and such I made for Force Of Nature.
    When I get home to my own work PC I'll put up a few pictures show you examples of what I mean.

@Techlord
    I'm not certain this type of collision detection is possible with APEX Chunks in flight, although there is collision detection between chunks on the ground and the player.
    Yeah there is a collision going on there. we just need to figure out how to tell a script when its happening. In force Of Nature the apex meshes all have a check box unchecked in the properties called "can step on" if I leave that box checked and the tornado (player) steps on the debree chunk, the force will pick up the chunk and the player with it as long as the player is standing on the chunk.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ah yes i know what you mean now by modular. Yeah i could do that but how big should the pieces be? how long should the walls be? etc etc. If you give me a list of Modular building pieces we need ill make them. Also i am learning Apex its pretty cool.
    Last edited by Chay Hawk; 07-23-2013 at 08:23 PM.

The Sacrifice

Ah yes i know what you mean now by modular. Yeah i could do that but how big should the pieces be? how long should the walls be? etc etc. If you give me a list of Modular building pieces we need ill make them. Also i am learning Apex its pretty cool.

I'm able to successfully compile and run the DM-Deck Deathmatch. I'm moving forward with rebuilding the VTCF Map also. My progress has me excited. I've getting real cozy with several UnreadEd Tools and Unrealscript over the past week. Check out my TODO List for the latest updates. Note: goals have been reorder to start R & D on Debris to player collision.

IMPORTANT:Please provide feedback on if you DO or DO NOT have the P4 Client working so I can help you get it set up. UnrealEd has built in support for it, and makes life easier to working on Project files.
    UMECHS Compendium

The Sacrifice

@ Clay
    Here is a modular building for FoN.

No inner walls yet or doors, but you can see I made it very similar to what Tech has proposed.
    I run this through PhysXlab I'll do two variations of each wall segment. to add variation in the destruction, and the glass I will break with a fracture map and I will check the Debris checkbox. Making it debris will have the glass shatter then disappear, making it loads easier on whatever pc is going to run the game.

You know what I may make a little tutorial for you guys explaining Apex. Showing what we will need out of it and give some tips.
    I just got home and need to sleep now but let me know if you want a tutorial if so I'll make one tonight.

Here is a tip put the pivot point in a smart location.

you would prob need Blender or 3ds max to do that tho. you should consider it blender is a pain in the neck to learn but its free. 3ds max has a demo and a free student version. being as how this project of ours is not for profit a student version may be ok.

anyway one more tip for ya make the parts with an even width an height.
    what I mean is give the part a width of like say 128 units wide Not 128.674 or 127.78 think ahead and make it so they can snap together easy.

@ everyone we should decide on a size scale. so the things we build can all be the same size we should decide how many unreal units equals 6 feet.
    Unreal Tournament I think uses 96.
    Last edited by McTune; 07-24-2013 at 07:32 AM.

The Sacrifice

IMPORTANT:Please provide feedback on if you DO or DO NOT have the P4 Client working so I can help you get it set up. UnrealEd has built in support for it, and makes life easier to working on Project files.
    I don't know if I am going to do that Techlord. 'Force Of Nature' is my priority as I am building it with intention to sell and (hopefully) pull in a little profit.
    So unless you guys want to join me in that endeavor I need to keep them separate.
    no offense not going to hook a non profit project with what I have spent hundreds of hours working on. I'll just dropbox files to you guys.

But you know what, I do have a few assets I think I can hand over to Fujita here right now! For example the trees for Force of nature. I plan to rebuild most of them I could put a big set of them in dropbox so they can have some use in something and save clay or Ragtime from modeling time, other wise I just going to delete them.

The Sacrifice

McTune, those modular pieces are really nice.

I don't know if I am going to do that Techlord. 'Force Of Nature' is my priority as I am building it with intention to sell and (hopefully) pull in a little profit.
    So unless you guys want to join me in that endeavor I need to keep them separate.
    no offense not going to hook a non profit project with what I have spent hundreds of hours working on. I'll just dropbox files to you guys.

But you know what, I do have a few assets I think I can hand over to Fujita here right now! For example the trees for Force of nature. I plan to rebuild most of them I could put a big set of them in dropbox so they can have some use in something and save clay or Ragtime from modeling time, other wise I just going to delete them.
    We agreed the projects would be separate, and they are. You set up your Perforce Client Workspace to work on a separate UDK installation to get the latest revision of the project from the P4 Server. I've set up my workspace to work from C:\UDK as the root. This directory is commonly used to install different UDK Versions. I installed a fresh copy of UDK-2013-02 as ProjectFujita. We're not touching core source code, so for rapid upgrade and update, the actual project files and sub-directories under source control reside in:

• C:\UDK\ProjectFujita\UDKGame\Config\
    • C:\UDK\ProjectFujita\UDKGame\Content\ProjectFujita \
    • C:\UDK\ProjectFujita\Development\Src\ProjectFujita \

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Once you set P4 Client its set up its extremely easy to use. Take a look at the How to use Perforce Client Videos. UnrealEd has built-in P4 source control support. I'll relocate Assets dropped into the Dropbox into Project Packages (*.upk). UnrealEd works with these packages directly from the P4 Server. Its powerful, makes life easy, and required for proper management.
    Last edited by TechLord; 07-26-2013 at 07:03 AM.
    UMECHS Compendium

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ok ill work on some modular pieces. I dont know how to use blender or 3ds max so ill just use UDK. How do i set up P4? I tried using it once but couldnt figure it out. If you tell me how to set it up then ill do it. Oh and one more thing, my computer is having trouble charging, I think it might be the charger so i ordered a new one. Im really hoping its the charger and not the laptop though cause if it is the laptop then im in deep trouble because i have no way of replacing or repairing this one.
    Last edited by Chay Hawk; 07-24-2013 at 01:35 PM.

The Sacrifice

Hi Techlord, maybe I should have clarified what I meant
    Which was that I already have an install of the latest udk (UDK-2013-07) and putting a second one of that same generation of udk next to it, in the past has caused problems for me.
    But what you seem to want is for me to rename the dated folder and call it Fujita instead?

whatevs tho at this time the project has nothing. just a building clay modeled.

you mentioned the things your doing. relocating renaming UT stuff ?... that's fine I guess but I don't see why your doing half of it.
    As a coder myself it seems to me the first step is setting up a game class, pawn, controller, ect. which I gave you simple ones back in the dropbox.

Anyway I got to go back to work again so I be gone a while, I assume from lack of response no one interested in my assets or tutorials so...
    I check on the project later. wish I had more time

The Sacrifice

Hi Techlord, maybe I should have clarified what I meant
    Which was that I already have an install of the latest udk (UDK-2013-07) and putting a second one of that same generation of udk next to it, in the past has caused problems for me.
    But what you seem to want is for me to rename the dated folder and call it Fujita instead?
    I was unaware of your previous issues with multiple UDK installations, but, yes a separate Installation labeled as ProjectFujita is recommended. This is what I've done to separate the project from my ArcadeKomodo, and it ensures all project files are separate. However, You're in full control of your local P4 Workspace so you can configure however you like.

whatevs tho at this time the project has nothing. just a building clay modeled.
    That's not entirely true. The Project is up on the P4 Server. I've reconstructed the Deathmatch demo map and its playable. I broke stuff in the rev engineering (re-labeling) process. I had to fix them, learned tons. I now have the knowledge to modify them to suit our needs. I cannot stress how important getting P4 working to see the state of the Project in real-time.

you mentioned the things your doing. relocating renaming UT stuff ?... that's fine I guess but I don't see why your doing half of it.
    As a coder myself it seems to me the first step is setting up a game class, pawn, controller, ect. which I gave you simple ones back in the dropbox.
    This Project has a broader feature set compared to FoN: Network Replication, AI, Pickups, Triggered events, Humanoid Player Characters, etc. That's a tall order. Until now, I had no experience with them. The UTGame code base, contains most of this functionality. Reverse engineering UTGame was the approach I elected to quickly dissect and learn the structure of UTGame Code and Configuration. I needed to reduce a couple of layers of code-hiding inheritance to make the code easier to see whats going on.

I also hadn't touched UnrealEd with any serious degree until now. I've put TBCMS WordPress Plugin dev on hold, and have spent every spare moment in UDK since 07/17. I even listen to self-made audio books from UDN in my Car on my way to work. When I can compile and launch the CTF Game mode/Map, I'll move on to STEP 2 of my TODO List which includes the integration the game class, pawn, controller classes you provided.

Anyway I got to go back to work again so I be gone a while, I assume from lack of response no one interested in my assets or tutorials so...
    I check on the project later. wish I had more time
    Please assume everyone is extremely busy. I know I am and I assume everyone else is too. I'm squeezing in self-study on Character modeling and animation with Blender. You've convinced me that developers with modeling and programming have an advantage. I will be relying on your assets and tutorials in STEP 2 and I will definitely provide feedback. Good Luck at work.
    Last edited by TechLord; 07-25-2013 at 11:38 AM.
    UMECHS Compendium

The Sacrifice

Cool.
    So I will install a new fresh udk using the newest one. Then I'll rename the folder 'UDK-2013-07' to Project Fujita.

I have AI, Custom Pickups, Custom Trigger, and variations on them. So I got that covered, yeah you can take care of Network Replication, and I assume that's multiplayer stuff.
    Humanoid character I assume that's why you hooked up that starter kit deal thing. I like it is usefull.
    Also I found a simple cover system, found it here on the forums http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...on-Source-Code

So did you not want to start with the xxGame class I sent ya? It's a third person style camera. I was hopeing both tornado and person should be Third person.

What do you think Clay, third person?

I just trying to get real here. We should put our heads together get a design document wrote up, decide and agree on what the game should really be, and feel like to play, what the scale should be, ect ect.

your talking about reverse engineering, cool I'm talking about building. That's why I thought we'd start with what I gave ya a couple weeks ago. or whenever it was.
    wow goes right on by doesn't it.

I going to hook up on Skype, we should talk there. because I was hopeing to talk a lot! as we figure it out and get a prototype.
    Last edited by McTune; 07-25-2013 at 11:02 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Idk about 3rd person. Oh and btw you spelled my name wrong lol its Chay not Clay :P.

The Sacrifice

My highest priority is getting everyone running with P4. I'm writing a Tutorial from start to finish on installation and setup of the entire ProjectFujita. Once we achieve synchronization of our efforts with P4, it will be easier to see how this project is taking shape.

In regards to design. I briefly described my vision of the game play in the initial post: Visualize a Cloverfield Monster in the form of a freakish massive Tornado, that appears to be sentient and malevolent, deliberately destroying all in its path. ROOOOAAAARRRRR!!! You can hear the jet-engine like roar of the massive elemental monster as it shreds buildings four blocks from your location. Howling Winds vibrate nearby windows. Its headed your way fast. You grab a first aid kit, a couple of twinkies, and make a dash for the Storm Shelter..... MoreRagtime described game play modes and features such as triggered events here.

I played many games and watched many movies. I have a collage of imagery in my head when I visualize game-play for Project Fujita. I visualize the game-play from 3 different perspectives. Sort of a rock-paper-scissors strategy in which each characters role impacts another in a circular interaction. We have monster tornado with objectives to smash and destroy; A survivor with objectives to collect and strive for safe zones. A Storm chaser with objectives to hunt tornadoes to keep the Tornado Warning System powered up. A Tornado Warning System that alerts Survivors promptly or not, dependent on its power. Tornadoes earn super power-ups with dispatching Survivors.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

With the words Destroy-Survive-Chase buzzing around in my head, this could appear to play as three different games in one, dependent on the character you choose. It depends on your perspective, and technically multiple camera views can be implemented easily. I've suggested a default view per character type:

• Survivor: First Person. It's agreed that First Person invokes more fear and terror due to restricted view. Music and SoundFX set the mood.
    • Tornado: 3rd Person/3rd Person Orbital Camera. The sheer scale of the Tornado vs environment will benefit from the angle/range of a 3P or Isometric view.
    • Stormchaser: 3rd Person. This perspective is common with vehicles and mounts. Makes sense here and the code-base supports it already.
    Last edited by TechLord; 07-26-2013 at 07:06 AM.
    UMECHS Compendium

The Sacrifice

I don't think the Tornado should be threatened by anything.
    perhaps give the storm chasers the opportunity to be invisible to the tornado for a time.

How many people do you think we can get in a match?

I got game ideas in my head to. I looking to make multiple game types with this framework I like it. If you can prototype all those parts we got a good base to build a hell of a lot of games.

So I got Skype going.
    And a couple map ideas,
    I been psyched out on tornadoes for a while now too.
    Last edited by McTune; 07-26-2013 at 08:12 AM.

The Sacrifice

Idk about 3rd person. Oh and btw you spelled my name wrong lol its Chay not Clay :P.
    Sorry my bad Hawk. Wow I must me turning dyslexic or something!
    chay clay claky chay

MSgt. Shooter Person

Sorry my bad Hawk. Wow I must me turning dyslexic or something!
    chay clay claky chay
    Lol its

Oh and if you can get those map ideas drawn out in any way i can make them.

I made an apple. the textures are soft, so I'm not sure if your going to want to use them in final game. maybe something taht could be used to speed up health regen, or if there is energy consumption this could be used as food.
    https://sketchfab.com/show/bcbe6af18...7e78119f84d4e0
    looks better in blender render
    http://i.imgur.com/KWmKuVY.png

Also
    http://i.imgur.com/U9qZUBW.png
    concept survivor model
    Last edited by More Ragtime; 07-26-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast