MSgt. Shooter Person

Default UDK only lets me import images as "substance air input" please help

Hi, I recently downloaded the new UDK update and have come across some errors.

I understand UDK uses substance designer now, and I can't seem to figure out how to import just a "texture" It always import my image as "substance air input"

thank you

Boomshot

What format/sizes are your textures? Are you making sure the right options are chosen in the import dialog box?

It does that sometimes if you arent importing a texture in the right size or format. I ran into this yesterday when i accidentally dragged and dropped a couple of textures before fixing their size, and UDK accepted and turned the normal and specular maps into substance air input. Hmm, now that i think of it, it may be because of the suffix _N and _S i put at the end of their names.

Boomshot

The suffix doesn't do anything unless its some hidden feature of substance I'm unaware of.

When you convert textures with Bitmap2Substance it adds those suffixes to the names, so i guess UDK recognizes those textures as Substance input if they are messed up size wise.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gahadmor

This can happen if you import a jpeg image as the substance inputs are the only asset type which supports jpeg.
    Technical Artist
    Allegorithmic

So how should you import textures?

The texture file needs to be in PNG. Size of the texture image should be a power of 2, 1024x1024 for example...