MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Pretty huge memory leak issue in November UDK? (Update: SOLVED)

I could totally be using the term "memory leak" incorrectly.

Basically, levels don't appear to be being unloaded from memory. This is extremely easy to reproduce. It happens even on a clean install of UDK. Not sure if it happens in earlier builds. It pretty much makes our game unshippable though.

Here's the scenario:
    Run UDK.exe. Task manager says UDK.exe is using 314MB RAM (or whatever).
    "open vctf_necropolis" in console. UDK.exe is now using 945MB.
    "open vctf_necropolis". Using 1164MB.
    "open vctf_necropolis". 1387MB.
    "open vctf_necropolis". 1610MB.
    "open vctf_necropolis". 1819MB.
    "open vctf_necropolis". 2064MB.
    And so on until you crash because you ran out of memory.

This happens with level streaming too. In our game, we use level streaming a lot, and what's happening is every time a level loads, we use more ram, and when it gets unloaded, we don't use less. Eventually we inevitably crash.

I haven't tried this as such, but I suspect that even you had this simple level streaming setup, running in and out of the level streaming volume enough times would cause a crash from lack of memory.

Edit: This still happens on February and March builds. It started on the May build of 2012, so let's everyone drink to most of a year of leaking memory, I guess.

Edit edit: This is fixed in July 2013 UDK. Many thanks, Epic guys.
    Last edited by Lacabra; 07-12-2013 at 06:50 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Tried this on 2012-07 and it happens on that version as well. Loading times were way too long too. I tried it on a far older version (2011-05) and I can confirm there is no memory leak on it AND map reloaded way, way, WAY faster than the 2012-07.

Additional info:

Both versions were 32-bit, dx9, clean installs with nothing cooked.

Ran it on Win7 x64 laptop.

Edit: Tried it on packaged 2012-07, it still has the leak, but it seems to be slower to leak (it reached 1.7gb after reloading the map 8 times). Loading was still way too slow compared to 2011-05 and performance seemed a little slower too (probably has something to do with heavier post processing).
    Last edited by RNG; 01-23-2013 at 06:33 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks for the confirmation and info. I'll check tomorrow if I have any other old versions of UDK lying around to try to narrow down what version this happened in - though probably Epic have better ways to figure that out.
    Was the initial load of the map also slower on the newer versions, or only subsequent reloads? Just wonderin'.

Also, I didn't provide my specs because I think they're irrelevant, but it's a Win8 x64 install on a PC with 16GB RAM (which is probably why I didn't notice this earlier - I noticed we were using too much RAM but figured something was wrong at my end rather than with UDK). The issue is also just as present whether you're using the 32 or 64 bit executable.
    I've also tested my game on a great many other PCs and the issue is not miraculously absent on any of them.

Also, the Mac build of my game crashes straight up, though it's entirely possible it's completely unrelated. The only reason I bring it up is part of the log says "Garbage collection is OFF!" ...which sounded like a relevant thing but might not be.
    Last edited by Lacabra; 01-23-2013 at 07:31 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

2012-07 had longer initial map load and subsequent reloads of the same map (vctf-necropolis) took about the same amount of time as the initial load. On 2011-05, initial load was similar, but subsequent reloads were much, much faster. I haven't timed them, but 2012-07 took about 10 seconds each, and 2011-05 took about 3-5 seconds max.

I don't have the latest November version here on my laptop so I can't test on it, I think I have a previous version somewhere, so I might test it on that as well.

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Lacabra View Post
    Also, the Mac build of my game crashes straight up, though it's entirely possible it's completely unrelated. The only reason I bring it up is part of the log says "Garbage collection is OFF!" ...which sounded like a relevant thing but might not be.
    Well garbage collection set to OFF sounds like a pretty damn big problem. o,0 Is there any way to activate it in UDK?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Tested in 2012-05 and it does it too on 2 different systems. 2011-05 is still clean on different systems. I have tested this on the latest November release with empty project install, it still happens even with the ExampleEntry map, I reached 850MB RAM usage with ExampleEntry and usage didn't dropped after even after 10 minutes.

To recap the tested versions:

Doesn't leak
    2011-05

Does leak
    2012-05
    2012-07
    2012-10 (November)

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks for the great repro and even helping narrow down when it started. We've been able to reproduce this here and we've entered it into our bug database.

Thanks!
    Preston

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks Preston. Is there any chance that this can be fixed with a patch to the November build, or will we have to wait for whenever the next build is?

God King
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: tegleg digital

ah this explains a lot, good to hear epic is aware of it, hope its at the top of the list to fix
    means i need to delay any game releases i have ready
    Code:
    We.spazmodicaly.simulate.new.sound.with.technical.equipment.that.is.specificaly.manufactured.for.humans.to.communicate.in.outer.space.Tegleg.manipulates.time.and.space.to.create.new.experiences.to.generate.a.hardcore.database.generation.
    LOOK>> Please ask questions in the forum, NOT a private message <<LOOK
    tegleg.co.uk
    My Tutorials n Stuff
    Games: NEW! Tegs Playground Multiplayer Edition
    Unwheel2 - VCTF Game - Sponic Mesh 3D
    Shh.. dont tell anyone about my android apps.
    will code for money

MSgt. Shooter Person

This issue still exists in the new February 2013 build. In related news, I have died.

God King
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: tegleg digital

gosh blimey epic wtf?
    i guess they were more focused on introducing yet another really expensive 3rd party product.
    they really should change their udk catch phrase to
    "Bugs?... Just add another new feature"

sorry to hear you are dead now perhaps in your ghostly incarnation you can wander into epic hq and fix this bug for them
    Code:
    We.spazmodicaly.simulate.new.sound.with.technical.equipment.that.is.specificaly.manufactured.for.humans.to.communicate.in.outer.space.Tegleg.manipulates.time.and.space.to.create.new.experiences.to.generate.a.hardcore.database.generation.
    LOOK>> Please ask questions in the forum, NOT a private message <<LOOK
    tegleg.co.uk
    My Tutorials n Stuff
    Games: NEW! Tegs Playground Multiplayer Edition
    Unwheel2 - VCTF Game - Sponic Mesh 3D
    Shh.. dont tell anyone about my android apps.
    will code for money

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by tegleg View Post
    gosh blimey epic wtf?
    i guess they were more focused on introducing yet another really expensive 3rd party product.
    they really should change their udk catch phrase to
    "Bugs?... Just add another new feature"

sorry to hear you are dead now perhaps in your ghostly incarnation you can wander into epic hq and fix this bug for them
    Oh my that is just plain embarrasing for Epic Games. I was considering to use this system in my game.... well so much for that. lol

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hawken uses the latest UE3 build afaik, I wonder if it has this leak too.

Edit: No leakage on Hawken.
    Last edited by RNG; 02-16-2013 at 08:47 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Could be interesting to test.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Narrowed this down: it started in the May 2012 UDK. March is fine.

Phew, that happens to be the version I'm currently using for the build of my game.
    I'm making a game!

http://www.desura.com/games/modulated
    Click the link above to read more!

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'm rocking November. D:

Yea, the leak is still there for the Feb build. However, we are investigating the issue. I apologize for the problems you're all having with this particular issue.
    -Aaron Jones-
    Engine Test Lead, Epic Games

MSgt. Shooter Person

Any updates on this, Epic folk?

I have one: the leak doesn't appear to affect Mac builds.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Just tested the March 2013 UDK, the one with Oculus Rift support. The memory leak is still there.
    Last edited by Lacabra; 04-07-2013 at 12:14 AM.

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ambershee

I have been reliably informed and can pass on that this issue should have been fixed when the next UDK release comes around (when that will be however, I simply couldn't say).
    - Please do not send me questions regarding programming or implementing things in UDK via Private Message. I do not have time to respond and they are much better answered in the forums. -

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by ambershee View Post
    I have been reliably informed and can pass on that this issue should have been fixed when the next UDK release comes around (when that will be however, I simply couldn't say).
    This is good new to hear. Looking forward to that next build of the engine!

MSgt. Shooter Person

This is fixed in July 2013 UDK. Many thanks, Epic guys.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'm kind of new to UDK. I am using the Feb 2013 UDK. I always felt that there was a memory leak somewhere and here it is. So i have to upgrade to a newer version of UDK

Now the problem is, I'm just the programmer on the team. I don't do anything on the level, lighting, and not much in the editor. I usually don't have any problems in upgrading to a newer UDK version in programming.
    But my teammates tell me that they get a lot of problems when the upgrade is done. During the last upgrade a lot of issues came up for them. One of the issues they got was that UDK doesn't tell during light build that 'on which mesh its overlapped'. I don't understand what that means but its a huge issue for them and they are afraid of upgrading again. Suggestions?