Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Unreal Engine 4 release date

Hello,

I have got a really simple question, but i couldn't find any answer in other forums...
    When will release the Unreal Engine 4? ...any little conjecture?

I'm very interested in the real time indirect illumination for archviz.

Thanks answer in advance,

Regards,
    Mátyás Végh

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: savagebeasty

No one knows I'm afraid bud, don't think Epic have given a release date yet.

Cryengine has real time lighting though although I'm probably not supposed to point that out on here

From what I've seen and read about the content developed with the UDK and Unreal 4 is the same. The Unreal 4 Engine is just a much better tool for programming changes and much better lighting and other rendering features. I don't think we'll be seeing a UDK style license of Unreal 4 for some time.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I think in order for them to release a UDK version of UE4, they first need to make sure the engine is stable enough to do so. On a side note, the UDK in the Editor window simply means they are running UDKGame.

Redeemer

Perhaps if we bug them enough, they will give us a release date? :P
    Kris Redbeard
    GROUND BRANCH
    Mature Classic Tactical First Person Shooter
    Rule #11: Always cheat, always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Black Fang666

But if we bug them too much it will distract them from getting it ready :P.... I needs it so I can make an aircraft carrier as a drivable vehicle...
    Want to collaborate? Want to chat UDK? Message me on Skype, Craig Delancy. Check out my UDK Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/xblBlack...ew=0&flow=grid

Deathless

Quote Originally Posted by skwisdemon666 View Post
    I needs it so I can make an aircraft carrier as a drivable vehicle...
    yeah I need it because of reasons too.
    but really mainly I needed so that I don't stay obsolete with UE3 because my game is meant to work as a base for my next game, and the next and so on.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Chosker View Post
    yeah I need it because of reasons too.
    but really mainly I needed so that I don't stay obsolete with UE3 because my game is meant to work as a base for my next game, and the next and so on.
    ^ what he said
    Current Projects:
    Nocturnal Conventicle
    Narcotic Pursuit
    The Office
    Devils Triangle

join us on the IRC , we use irc.gamesurge.net and the room is #UDKC
    (っ◕‿◕)っ _____ ܔ(๏̯͡๏)
    Specs: gtx 670 - i7 - 32gb ram - Samsung 840 Evo - Win 8 Pro

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: daimakupikoro PSN ID: lone_vampire

don't know why the people keep asking when the unreal engine 3 will be available, anybody that has asked that on the forum has just looked at the new devil may cry game ? it is made witht he unreal engine 3, is just awesome, with the udk we can make everything that we wanted, i think that the administrators need to close all this kind of thread that keep asking for the new engine.

when the engine will be available you will find it in the download section and you can find any news in a lot of sites.
    http://vincenzoravo.vrs.com.ve http://www.slaughtermaze.com

please don't fill my inbox with questions, ask in the forum, the answers will help you and others !!!

Deathless

Quote Originally Posted by daimaku View Post
    don't know why the people keep asking when the unreal engine 4 will be available, anybody that has asked that on the forum has just looked at the new devil may cry game ? it is made witht he unreal engine 3, is just awesome, with the udk we can make everything that we wanted, i think that the administrators need to close all this kind of thread that keep asking for the new engine.
    I'm just trying to look forward in order to avoid obsolescence.
    but really it's a little bit like saying "why are you guys using unreal engine 3, when unreal engine 2 was an awesome and perfectly usable engine?"

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Chosker View Post
    I'm just trying to look forward in order to avoid obsolescence.
    but really it's a little bit like saying "why are you guys using unreal engine 3, when unreal engine 2 was an awesome and perfectly usable engine?"
    i didn't tried to tell that Chosker, only trying to point that the UE4 is not out, why we need to be worried about it if we can work with the actual release of udk ? and we can make good games with it?

i know for sure that the new engine will be very powerfull and i'm wainting for it too, but i know for sure that the UE4 will be not released any time soon.

all of us want to work with the best tools, including me, but i saw this week almost three or four thread asking the same thing "when the UE4 will be released".

i don't try to tell to not use the new engine i'm only trying to tell that the current release is capable to do all we need, when the new engine is out we can get hands on it, in the mean time we need to wait for it.

sorry if my first post was miss understood
    Last edited by daimaku; 01-20-2013 at 02:43 PM.

please don't fill my inbox with questions, ask in the forum, the answers will help you and others !!!

Deathless

i didn't tried to tell that Chosker, only trying to point that the UE4 is not out, why we need to be worried about it if we can work with the actual release of udk ?
    I know you didn't, I was just putting your words slightly out of context to make a similar example

you see if you work with an engine that's constantly being updated it's like someone's giving you a very helping hand in your development. I know UE3 is very feature-rich but it'll eventually become obsolete (just like UE2 has), and you can already see its development is halting.

a lot of us around here work in small teams, have ambitious goals and/or have only little free time to work on our projects, which means very long development cycles. we're talking about a hobby that lasts years here.
    and personally I've been through it myself, I used to work with an engine called Nebula2 and was still working with it 5 years after the last time it was updated. at first you think you're fine but then you start seeing how other engines continue to grow and offer better and better features: all graphically, on their toolsets, their workflow, gameplay possibilities, etc. and let me tell you that if your development cycle is a long one it's very frustrating to see how your efforts become obsolete along with the engine you're using

God King

But then consider the nightmare of transferring all of your work to a new engine. I suppose this is why you time your game nicely.

Deathless

Quote Originally Posted by TheAgent View Post
    But then consider the nightmare of transferring all of your work to a new engine. I suppose this is why you time your game nicely.
    yes that's why for now I'm focusing on stuff that will transfer nicely: animations
    but really I'm just going to try and make a mobile game while UE4 comes out

Thanks the comments!

Dear daimaku

"why we need to be worried about it if we can work with the actual release of udk ? and we can make good games with it?"
    - yes, it is enough for game developers, but not enought for archviz or such usage

"i don't try to tell to not use the new engine i'm only trying to tell that the current release is capable to do all we need"
    - nope, UDK can't render realtime indirect illumination... but other engines can

I'm very interested in the realtime global illumination, becaus this feature is an elementary render effect to create beautiful interior or exterior animations / images.
    I have arrived to a crossroad. Other engines can use realtime indirect illumination, but UDK is now can't. I think UDK is a really great engine, but without this feature not enough good to me. So i understand that you don't care what is the release date of UDK, becaus your engine-usage can miss this realtime GI, but please be patient about other users, who use the engine for alternative solutions.

I'm not an UDK geek, so i had no any cloud that Epic Games posted release date or not, so i must to know, that is a good choice to wait for UDK 4 or use other engines from now.
    Last edited by Matyrix; 01-21-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: supplement

MSgt. Shooter Person

@Matyrix:
    UDK is definitely capable of real time architectural visualization. You might want to watch the video below.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

hello Matyrix, i'm not an expert in ilumination, but i know what you are talking about, all here (me too) have one or two reason to use the new UE4, but the real issue is that the UE4 is no out, there is not a release date for it and nobody knows when will be available the UE4 into a UDK release.

to anwer your question, is your project will be released this year and you want any feacture that will come into the new UE4, you just can wait for it or you just can move to another engine.

hello Matyrix, i'm not an expert in ilumination, but i know what you are talking about, all here (me too) have one or two reason to use the new UE4, but the real issue is that the UE4 is no out, there is not a release date for it and nobody knows when will be available the UE4 into a UDK release.

to anwer your question, is your project will be released this year and you want any feacture that will come into the new UE4, you just can wait for it or you just can move to another engine.
    Thanks your answer!
    This is what i wanted to hear, so nobody knows date. Unfortunately i have no time to wait, so must move to other engine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
    @Matyrix:
    UDK is definitely capable of real time architectural visualization. You might want to watch the video below.
    @The Godfather
    Unfortunately it's not enough quality... but yes, you are right, this is an archviz too.
    realtime Gi / indirect illumination / global illumination etc.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...pnqXLIg4#t=73s

MSgt. Shooter Person

Why dont use Neutrone Engine? Thats specificly made for Archviz if UE3 isnt Good enough for your needs...

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzleben View Post
    Why dont use Neutrone Engine? Thats specificly made for Archviz if UE3 isnt Good enough for your needs...
    Thanks your recommendation.
    Neutrone Engine is a really nice engine, but the render quality of it is very rough. I think you can use this application for basic presentations, but it is not a photorealistic and stable engine for high quality archviz.
    (i could not find any beautiful images by Neutron Engine...)
    Last edited by Matyrix; 01-23-2013 at 08:04 AM. Reason: supplement

MSgt. Shooter Person

Maybe Lumion 3D could be of interest to you?

i hope Epic + Warner Brothers + Marvel show us Unreal engine 4 being used to create in Iron Man 3 -

- mocap, epic headquarters + marvel = just a taster of years to come- screw UE4 -
    - i want UE5

MSgt. Shooter Person

As far as I can see I would use UDK for Achitectural Visualization only if my customer needs something that plays like a videogame, because the plus of using UDK is that you can customize what you want, so you can really put a character in there, open doors, using triggers to setup events and so on...
    Rendering is superb and the looks of UDK is quite impressive for me, but it comes with lot of work...

Comparing UDK to Lumion the "bad part" is that you have to optimize all your mesheh...and thats a real pain in the ass...I tried to work with UDK for Architectural Visualization, but only to optimize the meshes it takes a week, than UV, exporting...honestly is really too much work, and you should use it only if your customer requires specific features in the scene...if you start your scene from scratch you could start directly in low poly, fair enough, but who uses evermotion/archmodels meshes good luck with the optimization

My opinion is that for Architectural visualization without any custom features or game-like features is to use Lumion, is powerfull, easy to use and overall is a very nice rendering tool that saves hours of work, if you need a fully customizable scene with your archviz project go with UDK

I think if you have the skills you will optimize all since modeling instance so that not a problem, lumion fails in every aspect of a production. I love udk and soon udk 4 with more hardcore fx.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Veteran

RT-Visualization: A week to optimize meshes? are you serious... Curious what kind of methods you are using cause that's terrible.

Also, people judging UDK's abilities for arch viz off that demo are being misinformed really, it can look a lot better than that.. you also don't need to do the "walking around" thing like a game.
    I run VoxHouse (VHSGames) and the UnrealDB.
    Film & Game producer, using and teaching UDK & Unreal Engine 4. Please stop by and say a good word on my project thread.
    Also feel free to join us on #udkc irc.gamesurge.net or via web: http://myclodel.com to chat live with others in the UDK community.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I just found this thread on google Lol.
    Anyways, I am also wondering because I couldn't find any article that explains, in a detailed way, what will be the programming language. From the main webpage you can see it's C++ but how? I mean, what about our old projects? Are we suppose to code them all back again? that would be crazy? And that's why I am worried, I mean, I am not that good but I am working on something with Unreal Script and I'm not willing to change it all back to C++ because that's not easy and would be a waste of time...

Redeemer

It will be c++, you will ned to code everything from scratch. As , after MANY years, they are finnaly making a new engine. A new engine, not updating the actuall. And also, I suppose there will be libraries for c++ there, with the same names like uscript, so learning it w elll is good anyways. Also, there will be a much more functional scripting language isntead of kismet.

MSgt. Shooter Person

There will be no more UnrealScript. Because auf that we try to focus on content creation, HUD and everything else that will likely be portable easily.
    I think it will be time consuming but not too hard to port your code. Alot of UScript Classes (natives) where already based on C++ classes.
    I think Epic will join their UScript Code into the 'real' C++ classes and that's it.
    Higher performance, more possibilities and very similar ways of functionality. I just hope we won't have to wait too long!

MSgt. Shooter Person

With all my respect but that's completely stupid... They are creating a whole new engine with a whole new language and a whole new everything... We are gonna have to start our project all over again and for all the games published out there and all the games that are being sold by big companies out there are gonna fail big time, because the company won't have the power to update them and the company, obviously, won't create the same game again just to get better graphics, the losses are gonna be huge...
    Secondly, I think this whole c++ thing is freaking weird, why would they do that? I mean we're all used to Unreal Script, why would they change everything now? Isn't that so weird? I mean, people worked hard on everything, creating projects, learning unreal script, creating ebooks, video tutorials on youtube, everything everywhere are all going to become useless? just like that? just because epic decided to change everything for some reason that I don't care about?
    I understand, the textures the beauty the lighting, are all awesome, but what about the other stuff? They shouldn't be changed, that's just stupid.

Redeemer

Trust me, it isn't, and everyone experienced on thhis forum will think similarly.
    1# If you know unrealscript, learning c++ is easy. unrealscript is actually in 95% just functions you have t oremember, which will propably be reused under the same names.
    2# c++ code is approximatly 10 times faster than unrealscript.
    3# When ue4 comes out, it won't mean that ue3 is useless. There will stil be created games using ue3. Propably very less people/companies will port their current project to ue4.
    4# There gonna be no loses - only wins (nearly)
    5# Very les will be changed I suppose, peopel used to ue3 will learn ue4 in max 2 weeks.
    6# It won't be only graphics, it will be overall performance.
    7# You can trust epic, they won't fail. They are one of the biggest game companies, and they have to mostly used engine. You can be sure, that they know more than you about what is good and what not in he game industry, with about 20 years of experience.
    8# Everything needs to change - the world is dynamic, it's chaos. Without it it would be boring. Without great revolutions we would stop our evolution at searching for caves in mountains to survive (actually we wouldn't even exist, without the supernova, which actually WAS some kind of revolution).

EDIT: Also many c++ developers will start using udk, which means more money for Epic, which means more features in the UDK, which means better games and more fun creating them.

Redeemer

i didn't tried to tell that Chosker, only trying to point that the UE4 is not out, why we need to be worried about it if we can work with the actual release of udk ? and we can make good games with it?

i know for sure that the new engine will be very powerfull and i'm wainting for it too, but i know for sure that the UE4 will be not released any time soon.

all of us want to work with the best tools, including me, but i saw this week almost three or four thread asking the same thing "when the UE4 will be released".

i don't try to tell to not use the new engine i'm only trying to tell that the current release is capable to do all we need, when the new engine is out we can get hands on it, in the mean time we need to wait for it.

sorry if my first post was miss understood
    Actually there's a proverb which sounds something like that "The greates joy, is the joy of waiting for something joyfull"

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by cube2222 View Post
    Trust me, it isn't, and everyone experienced on thhis forum will think similarly.
    1# If you know unrealscript, learning c++ is easy. unrealscript is actually in 95% just functions you have t oremember, which will propably be reused under the same names.
    3# When ue4 comes out, it won't mean that ue3 is useless. There will stil be created games using ue3. Propably very less people/companies will port their current project to ue4.
    5# Very les will be changed I suppose, peopel used to ue3 will learn ue4 in max 2 weeks.
    7# You can trust epic, they won't fail. They are one of the biggest game companies, and they have to mostly used engine. You can be sure, that they know more than you about what is good and what not in he game industry, with about 20 years of experience.
    8# Everything needs to change - the world is dynamic, it's chaos. Without it it would be boring. Without great revolutions we would stop our evolution at searching for caves in mountains to survive (actually we wouldn't even exist, without the supernova, which actually WAS some kind of revolution).

EDIT: Also many c++ developers will start using udk, which means more money for Epic, which means more features in the UDK, which means better games and more fun creating them.
    Everything is true what you say. Especially the "Edit" comment.
    Unreal Engine 4 Tutorials: <<Klick here>>

Here you can find my Unreal Engine 3 Tutorials: <<Klick here>>
    • over 190 video tutorials about nearly everything
    • in german and english
    • you get a answer on every comment

MSgt. Shooter Person

From what i have heard is that Unreal Engine 4 was released quite a bit ago, and most AAA developers are already developing next-gen games with it. Although i don't feel like the UDK version will be given to the public soon. As i am thinking they will try to leech most of its potential before giving it to just anyone.
    Freelance level/game designer
    http://vladimirrakic.wix.com/portfolio (outdated)

Redeemer

Well, winners of "make something unreal" got it long ago, but, as current udk, it will be constantly in development I suppose.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by cube2222 View Post

I am c++ programmer... Enough said.
    And my reply was all about this whole thing of changing everything, which is going to make us start from scratch. Everything we're currently working on is going to be useless... And about epic and money and whatever; I love Unreal Engine, but right now, epic is looking for money and nothing else, obviously, that's what a company looks for, money, but they should think about everyone using their engine. And about "loses - only wins", this is completely wrong, how can a company makes extra money when it has to make everything again from scratch? This isn't even losing, this is a disaster lol.
    And about 8, obviously, everything needs to change, and I don't think you need to tell me about it because I am one of those guys who dreams to make a change in this world, but what epic is currently doing is not a change, it's something completely new, they changed everything directly, in one hit, and that's not how a "Revolution" works, things change, but they change slowly, but epic is changing everything instantly...

Redeemer

No, it isn't, as I said very less companys will port their current project, they will still use ue3 to release their current project, and it's not a instant change, they are working on ue4 since 2005. Also they are caring enough about us, if they would do it more, they would pretty fast lose all their cash and die. And it won't useless. They will propably add Uscript similair libraries, so rewriting code will be easy. And all assets are reusable. And finnaly we can forget about unrealscript where we have to care about its incredible slowness. Trust me, they won't do anything stupid, rather they will get 50 companies more to use their engine. And also, as i said, many c++ devs will start using UDK.
    Last edited by cube2222; 07-25-2013 at 08:12 AM.

Your work isn't useless, you just can't use it in a different game engine, which goes for anything.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Well, in the mean time I am only working on my characters and animations, etc... on blender; waiting for EU4... Does have any idea about the release date or anything similar? And if it's going to be like UDK free etc?
    Last edited by MarioAda; 07-25-2013 at 03:27 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something

Redeemer

The video that epic releeased with the editor, showcasing it, the window was called udk. Also, this way they have a big bug testers and problem solvers community, and also get Cash from indies. So almost surely, yes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast