MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ForbiddenSoul

Default Painting Landscape In-Game

I would like to take a landscape and have it painted on hit, sort of like the UDK Gem here. I can't manage to get the actor applied to a landscape rather than a static mesh, but my brain is a little fried at the moment. I saw a video of a game where the player was running around painting a white world with purple blobs of paint, but for the life of me can no longer find it.

All my searching is littered with 10 million how-to paint landscapes in UDK and create materials, not doing real time deformation.

I was wondering if anyone has gotten a landscape to become painted in real time (deformed) and / or can point me in the right direction in doing this?

Thanks!
    ForbiddenSoul

P.S. I'm really impressed with everyone here on the EPIC games forums for providing a ton of quick and constructive feedback getting us all moving on our projects = ).

Redeemer

http://www.moddb.com/games/colourrunners

If nothing changed concerning Landscape/Terrain you can't deform it unless maybe using a similar method than the gem. But this wouldn't change the collision of the Landscape, it would only be a visual effect.

Unless you want to handle all collision on the deformed terrain yourself... ?
    Youtube - UnrealEverything

2B || !(2B)

Deathless

you can't deform landscape including collision, not using the gem, and not with any other method

even if he doesn't want to deform it maybe he still wants to paint it

I've used HitMasks all around but only on skeletalmeshes, can't really say if it would work on landscape mainly because landscape UVW's are somehow different than regular meshes.
    there's also the matter that the HitMask would span the whole landscape so you'd need a HUGE texture size to make the paints decent in resolution

God King
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: tegleg digital

no matter how many times you ask you cannot deform a landscape or terrain at all full stop and thats it.
    Code:
    We.spazmodicaly.simulate.new.sound.with.technical.equipment.that.is.specificaly.manufactured.for.humans.to.communicate.in.outer.space.Tegleg.manipulates.time.and.space.to.create.new.experiences.to.generate.a.hardcore.database.generation.
    LOOK>> Please ask questions in the forum, NOT a private message <<LOOK
    tegleg.co.uk
    My Tutorials n Stuff
    Games: NEW! Tegs Playground Multiplayer Edition
    Unwheel2 - VCTF Game - Sponic Mesh 3D
    Shh.. dont tell anyone about my android apps.
    will code for money

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Alright thanks guys I'll keep looking through stuff online and all of the landscape code (I'll go into the C++ if i have to).

Just to clarify what I'm doing is: I would like a particle system to fall onto the landscape and when it collides with it, paint the terrain with the material on layer 2. If the section where the particles system is already layer 2 paint it with the material in layer 3. If the section where the particle system is already layer 3 paint the height map and raise the terrain. I was thinking I could make the terrain an attractor, and then set the particle system to use "Particle Attractor Collision Actions" which will implement the previous logic.

as for
    Quote Originally Posted by tegleg
    no matter how many times you ask you cannot deform a landscape or terrain at all full stop and thats it.
    I have to disagree as the UDK Editor is technically a "Game" and as you can clearly see you are able to deform terrain and landscapes, that's what they're for, and you can do so without having to rebuild the level when done properly, so it is defiantly possible to do so on the fly in-game.
    Maybe I shouldn't be using the term "Deform" in this case but what I would like to do can 100% be done.

If anyone has any ides for me, great! If not I will continue my venture and post when I have working code.

God King
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: tegleg digital

if you have the full ue3 licence you can go into the source c++ and change what you want, this costs multiple thousands of dollars
    with udk you cannot, the game and the editor are 2 different things, im sure someone can explain the technical details if you really need convincing
    Code:
    We.spazmodicaly.simulate.new.sound.with.technical.equipment.that.is.specificaly.manufactured.for.humans.to.communicate.in.outer.space.Tegleg.manipulates.time.and.space.to.create.new.experiences.to.generate.a.hardcore.database.generation.
    LOOK>> Please ask questions in the forum, NOT a private message <<LOOK
    tegleg.co.uk
    My Tutorials n Stuff
    Games: NEW! Tegs Playground Multiplayer Edition
    Unwheel2 - VCTF Game - Sponic Mesh 3D
    Shh.. dont tell anyone about my android apps.
    will code for money

Deathless

Quote Originally Posted by ForbiddenSoul View Post
    as for I have to disagree as the UDK Editor is technically a "Game" and as you can clearly see you are able to deform terrain and landscapes, that's what they're for, and you can do so without having to rebuild the level when done properly, so it is defiantly possible to do so on the fly in-game.
    that's as wild a statement as saying you should in theory be able to build lighting, build paths, import meshes or save packages at runtime while playing your game.
    if you think of the editor as a "game" then do know that the editor has "game features" that the standalone game doesn't, and there's no way to access them without the multi-thousand-dollar version of the engine

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

I'm not trying to start a ruckus with anyone, but I don't mean that you can build lighting, paths, import meshes, save packages etc. In theory you could, but you wouldn't see any of the changes you made until you somehow cooked it, and reloaded the map (so not on the fly). That's why I stated that nothing needs to be rebuilt when you edit a Landscape or Terrain, so you would be able to see the changes on the fly. I also said "when done properly", because editing the terrain can mess with your lighting and other things, so I am taking care to only use dynamic lighting, which is expensive, but my game is a side scroller and a fully loaded map loads in less than 10 seconds on my dual core. Not all the features of the editor are easily accessible (at least what I've found), but there is plenty of UnrealScript for things like landscape in the "Engine -> Src" Folder and I am still picking it apart to try and get my goal accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by Chosker
    even if he doesn't want to deform it maybe he still wants to paint it
    That's exactly what I want to do preferably with the built in layers Landscape comes with, the first one being it's height map. If anyone has information on this I would love to take a look at it = )
    Last edited by ForbiddenSoul; 01-14-2013 at 08:37 PM.