Default DM-Shine [Beta 4a]

Name: DM-Shine
    Version: Beta 4a

DM-Shine is an original DeathMatch map for UT2004 which is designed to show off a neat mechanic, namely the ability to bounce shock beams, shock balls, and link bolts off of specified elements in the map. The layout itself is pretty basic, primarily a figure eight design with two levels, featuring numerous reflective walls, floors, ceilings, and so on. The idea here is mostly to show off the mechanic at play and provide a good arena to utilize it in.

Bots will not try to utilize the reflective walls (at least not intentionally), so don't expect too much out of them there. Give it a go though, I'm particularly looking for feedback on the overall gameplay design of the level as I'd like to refine the gameplay before giving the level a visual overhaul to finalize it and I am curious to see if anyone has any solid gameplay-related layout suggestions. Also feel free to offer suggestions on item layout, as that is quite open to change.

Notes: This map comes with a .u file that you're required to have in your system folder. I don't recommend other mappers to utilize code in this file, as it may be updated in the future. If you do utilize it, please have the courtesy to embed the .u within your map to avoid mismatches. Thanks! For any questions related to use of this code please contact me via email.

Credits: Me (Wail), members of the Unrealscript IRC channel that helped me with the scripting side of getting this all to work (Wormbo, et al. Sorry if I can't remember!)
    Download: HERE

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    Last edited by Wail of Suicide; 08-22-2013 at 12:54 AM.

Cool, I was asking a while back for something like this, glad to see its working well.
    I wonder if it also can be modified for the rockets as well, but the shock ball is the coolest one,
    so I am glad that works, awesome job.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkis G View Post
    Cool, I was asking a while back for something like this, glad to see its working well.
    I wonder if it also can be modified for the rockets as well, but the shock ball is the coolest one,
    so I am glad that works, awesome job.
    Thanks. This is an idea I had dating from around 2005 but wasn't sure how to implement it until more recently.
    The approach used here could definitely be used for rockets but I have no intention of doing so myself. Feel free to shoot me an email if you would like more information on how to achieve this with the rocket launcher if you plan on creating your own stuff with that.

Redeemer

Cool cool gimmick map!

I believe this might be the first map I’ve reviewed that you did. I thought maybe I reviewed CTF-Sinkhole, but that was Coreper’s version instead (WAR-Sinkhole conversion for UT3). I opened this one up and immediately noticed the cool skybox with all the colors/stars and wild windows and other reflective surfaces. Looks like the bottom of the pools are actually just reflective surfaces also and not “real” water. I love the music and it definitely fits the atmosphere. The gameplay is crazy and bots don’t seem to use the surfaces as you said. The turnaround spot on the top level is a blessing and a curse; you can turnaround quickly, but don’t try and do anything fancy or you’ll get stuck briefly. Also, I think it would have been nice to able to run completely around top level also. There are other spots along the walls that you can get stuck briefly if you’re not careful. The shock balls and shock beams are absolutely the best bouncers, but the link bolts were fun too. Definitely a great gimmick and fun, simple map that must have been a blast online.

Thanks for the comments SkaarjMaster. Eventually I'd like to do an update to move this from proof-of-concept to actual map, but I'm pretty busy so I can't say when that would be.