Default WEAPON - Cryoarithmetic Equalizer Carbine

Hello everyone,

Recently brought this weapon to a state where I consider it to be functionally complete. I decided I'd make it publicly available as a beta to see if I can get any feedback on the aesthetics of the weapon. Specifically I'm hoping for some feedback regarding the visuals and the audio, but I certainly wouldn't object if someone wanted to help me out by offering to create a new animated weapon model or provide me with some cooler sound effects to use.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

DOWNLOAD: Download Here

To summon this weapon in your game:
    Code:
    summon woscryoarithmeticequalizer_beta1.cryoarithmeticpickup
    To summon ammo for this weapon in your game:
    Code:
    summon woscryoarithmeticequalizer_beta1.cryoarithmeticammopickup

Weapon Description: "The Cryoarithmetic Equalizer Carbine is a product of Conjoiner technology that allows localized violation of thermodynamics via processing algorithms that reduce the entropy within a localized field. Although normally utilized for industrial applications, the cryoarithmetic engine that powers this weapon has been modified to allow it to project its entropy-reducing field in a directed beam. When this field impacts its target, the temperature gradient difference can cause catastrophic damage. The secondary mode utilizes multidimensional focusing to disperse entropy-reducing fields in a wider dispersal pattern."

If you're familiar with the Revelation Space series of novels, you may be aware that this weapon is a bit of an homage to a technology utilized in that series.

Functionality:

The functionality of the Cryoarithmetic Equalizer is intended to fit into the gameplay of UT2004 non-disruptively, so it's balanced around existing weapons.

Primary Fire: Fires a beam of anti-entropic energy directly from the weapon. The initial hit of the weapon does 50 damage, however subsequent hits within the next 2 seconds will increase the freezing effects felt by damaged enemies. The damage increases by 5 for every subsequent hit up to a maximum of 70 damage per hit.

Secondary Fire: Fires a single full-power beam directly from the weapon and directs three lower-powered secondary beams in a triangle shape around the primary beam. A direct hit with all four beams is very effective but requires the user to be in close proximity. The primary beam is the same as above, while the secondary beams deal 25 damage initially, increasing to 45 damage on subsequent hits. Because the secondary beams are not as powerful as the primary beams, they will not in and of themselves increase the freezing effect felt by enemies.

If you encounter any difficulties getting this to run, please let me know here.
    Last edited by Wail of Suicide; 08-22-2013 at 09:41 PM.

The actual class names are
    Code:
    ClassName=WOSCryoarithmeticEqualizer_BETA1.CryoarithmeticEqualizer
    PickupClassName=WOSCryoarithmeticEqualizer_BETA1.CryoarithmeticPickup
    so the ammo pickup will be
    Code:
    WOSCryoarithmeticEqualizer_BETA1.cryoarithmeticammopickup
    I like the sounds and visuals but the weapon is pretty unbalanced. It deals more damage than shock rifle with the primary fire, and can even deal the same damage as lightning gun, and it also has less recharge time. It means you can kill enemy with this rifle with two hits, and if the enemy has shock rifle or lightning gun, he'd be able to shoot at you only once before he dies.
    The secondary fire is almost the same but with much more recharge time - i think this amount of time would be good for the primary fire.
    Also bots seems not to use the secondary fire at all.

Quote Originally Posted by UnShame View Post
    The actual class names are
    Code:
    ClassName=WOSCryoarithmeticEqualizer_BETA1.CryoarithmeticEqualizer
    PickupClassName=WOSCryoarithmeticEqualizer_BETA1.CryoarithmeticPickup
    so the ammo pickup will be
    Code:
    WOSCryoarithmeticEqualizer_BETA1.cryoarithmeticammopickup
    I like the sounds and visuals but the weapon is pretty unbalanced. It deals more damage than shock rifle with the primary fire, and can even deal the same damage as lightning gun, and it also has less recharge time. It means you can kill enemy with this rifle with two hits, and if the enemy has shock rifle or lightning gun, he'd be able to shoot at you only once before he dies.
    The secondary fire is almost the same but with much more recharge time - i think this amount of time would be good for the primary fire.
    Also bots seems not to use the secondary fire at all.

Hey, thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the balance of the weapon, you're right that it hits harder than the Shock Rifle does on a per-hit basis. It also fires a lot slower though. The average DPS is quite a bit lower unless you're getting those 3rd and 4th consecutive hits consistently. However there's probably a point to be made about effectiveness against 100HP targets.

oh, yeah, it fires slower than shock rifle, that's my mistake

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ReiDevJord

I'm going to try this out on my inv server as an additional weapon for the Weapon Master class, I'll give you some feedback later on.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

I've played around with it a bit, and noticed that any time someone hits a monster with alt fire it displays a message to all players "Found Enemy Pawn in list of hit pawns. Last Hit Increment is: 2." That's pretty annoying. The weapon also doesn't play nice with RPG overlays. I image it is because of the various shaders on the weapon. On the next version could you add a second version of the weapon that just uses the base textures for RPG use?

Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    I've played around with it a bit, and noticed that any time someone hits a monster with alt fire it displays a message to all players "Found Enemy Pawn in list of hit pawns. Last Hit Increment is: 2." That's pretty annoying. The weapon also doesn't play nice with RPG overlays. I image it is because of the various shaders on the weapon. On the next version could you add a second version of the weapon that just uses the base textures for RPG use?
    Thanks for the heads up. Missed one of my debugging lines there. As for the RPG overlays, I'll see what I can do about the weapon skins. I'd like to actually play up the weapon skin appearance a little bit, but I'll see what I can do about getting it to play nicely with RPG overlays.

Bumping this. Updated the download in the original post with a slight update.

Fixes:
    -Removed erroneous logging message
    -Updated the weapon skin so that it should be compatible with RPG overlays
    -Added visual hit effects when damaging pawns
    -Minor other visual tweaks

At the moment I'm considering this weapon complete but I'm probably going to try and get some live testing of its balance before I do a final release.
    Last edited by Wail of Suicide; 08-22-2013 at 12:36 AM.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

I'm happy that you updated it, but I'm a bit dismayed that you rereleased it using the original file name. This makes both versions all but unusable for people (admins updating to the new version, and players with either version installed locally) using public redirects.

I'm happy that you updated it, but I'm a bit dismayed that you rereleased it using the original file name. This makes both versions all but unusable for people (admins updating to the new version, and players with either version installed locally) using public redirects.
    That's something I considered -- If it's really an issue I'd be happy to update the filename. Since you're the only person I got the impression that ever publicly utilized this, I assumed it hadn't circulated too widely.

Did you at least conform the new version to the old one?

BTW: This is probably the weirdest name I've seen for a weapon so far.
    I'm not quite sure about the primary vs. secondary fire mode balance against vehicles. It seems consecutive primary hits are much more efficient than consecutive secondary hits, in terms of damage per time. Oh, and the damage overlay lacks a fade-out effect.
    Wormbo's UT/UT2004/UT3 mods | PlanetJailbreak | Unreal Wiki | Liandri Archives

<@Mych|Lockdown> ...and the award for the most creative spelling of "Jailbreak" goes to ... "Gandis Jealbrake Server"
    Note that your questions via PMs will be ignored if they actually belong in the forum.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

As a rule, you should always change file names when making any sort of public release, and assume it's going to make its way onto a public redirect eventually.

But you seem to be right. The only result I got from googling the uz2 was my private redirect, but to be safe (and prevent confusion), you should change the file name.

Quote Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post
    Did you at least conform the new version to the old one?
    Not sure what you mean here Wormbo, can you explain?

Quote Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post
    BTW: This is probably the weirdest name I've seen for a weapon so far.
    I'm not quite sure about the primary vs. secondary fire mode balance against vehicles. It seems consecutive primary hits are much more efficient than consecutive secondary hits, in terms of damage per time. Oh, and the damage overlay lacks a fade-out effect.
    Glad you like the name! I have some other odd weapons in the works somewhere, if I can find the time to finish them off.
    Balance-wise the secondary fire should deal more damage per time, but the secondary beams themselves do not increase the chilling damage factor that successive hits cause (they only refresh the timer) -- It's faster to build up the additional damage with a few primary fire hits and then start using secondary fire. As for the damage overlay, it's probably a shader issue so I may look at tweaking that.

As a rule, you should always change file names when making any sort of public release, and assume it's going to make its way onto a public redirect eventually.

But you seem to be right. The only result I got from googling the uz2 was my private redirect, but to be safe (and prevent confusion), you should change the file name.
    Yeah you're right. Updated to B2 download in the first post.
    Last edited by Wail of Suicide; 08-22-2013 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wail of Suicide View Post
    Not sure what you mean here Wormbo, can you explain?
    Making the new package network-compatible to the old one (same GUID and compatible name/export tables) explicitly via UCC Conform or implicitly via GUIRes folder. The same thing Epic used to make their patches network compatible to each other.
    Since you had to ask, you most likely didn't conform the package. Versioning must be done either though conforming to maintain network compatibility or though renaming to prevent conflicts. Doing both is not recommended because you will get differently named packages with identical GUID. The generation numbers will be different, so there shouldn't be any problems with the cache folder, but it might confuse the game anyway.
    Wormbo's UT/UT2004/UT3 mods | PlanetJailbreak | Unreal Wiki | Liandri Archives

<@Mych|Lockdown> ...and the award for the most creative spelling of "Jailbreak" goes to ... "Gandis Jealbrake Server"
    Note that your questions via PMs will be ignored if they actually belong in the forum.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Did a brief test of the new version, RPG overlays seems to be working, and no more debug messages. Thanks!