Administrator

Default News From Epic Games - July 2012 UDK Beta Released

Epic Games Releases July 2012 Unreal Development Kit Beta

July 26 2012 UDK Releases
    Epic Games, Inc. has released the July 2012 Unreal Development Kit Beta, the latest version of the free edition of Unreal Engine 3 that provides access to the award-winning 3D game engine and professional toolset used in blockbuster videogame development, architectural visualization, mobile game development, 3D rendering, digital films and more. The latest UDK beta is available now for download.
    Perforce Integration

The July release of the Unreal Development Kit (UDK) includes the best-of-breed Perforce version management system from Perforce Software. This new offering enables UDK developers to utilize professional-grade version control tools for up to 20 users and 20 workstations at no charge, with no restrictions on time limit or file quantity. In addition, the latest enhancements to Epic’s engine make it even more seamless to leverage Perforce for the game production pipeline.
    Check out the full press release here.
    Public Demo of UE4 at GDC Europe

Join us for the first non-NDA public real-time demo of Unreal Engine 4 given at GDC Europe, August 13-15 in Cologne, Germany.
    Epic Games Senior Technical Artist, Alan Willard, will walk-through the tools, visual features and architecture behind Unreal Engine 4’s unprecedented graphical capabilities and workflow improvements. For additional information, please visit http://www.unrealengine.com/.
    July 2012 UDK Beta Upgrade Notes

New Features and Functionality

Perforce Integration

• Enables UDK developers to utilize professional-grade version control tools for up to 20 users and 20 workstations at no charge, with no restrictions on time limit or file quantity
    • The software provides branching and merging control, enabling teams to work on different assets simultaneously while keeping file management in order
    • Integrated with graphical tools such as Photoshop, Softimage, 3ds Max and Maya

Normal Map Workflow Improvement

• We have improved the workflow of baking and rendering normal maps

• Notice it’s a far lower polycount than we could use before since there is no supporting chamfers or subdivisions
    • This workflow currently relies on using XNormal to bake normal maps but produces much higher quality shading than before
    • The Normal map workflow you’ve used in the past will still work, but if you want higher quality shading, this is currently the best workflow to use
    • It also allows you to use much less supporting geometry since you don’t have to fight incorrect shading
    • The first step is to make sure your model consists of 1 smoothing group
    • It also helps to triangulate your model using a modifier, that way you don’t have to worry about any application changing your triangles
    • When exporting your lowpoly model for xnormal, use these settings:

• The important points are the smoothing groups, and tangents & binormals
    • When loading your lowpoly model into Xnormal make sure “Use exported normals” is enabled
    • After baking your normal map, export your low poly models for Unreal using the SAME FBX settings as before
    • When importing your model into Unreal, enable “Import Tangents” and “Explicit Normals”

General Purpose .ini Overrides From Command Line

• You can override basic .ini values on the command line now (in Debug/Release/Test, not Shipping/FINAL_RELEASE) (arrays and structs not handled)
    • It’s mostly meant for mobile (or console), where it’s easy to change the command line, but can be hard to recook your data just to update a .ini setting
    • It works like this: ini:IniName:Section1.Key1=Value1,Section2.Key2=Val ue2,…
    • For example: ini:UDKEngine:Engine.Engine.bSmoothFrameRate=False ,TextureStreaming.PoolSize=100 ini:AwesomeGame:AwesomeBoss.HitPoints=100000
    • It’s important to use the proper .ini name
    • The functionality has only been tested with the generated .ini files (UDKEngine, not DefaultEngine), so it is suggested that you only use those
    • On PC it will update your local generated .ini file.
    • On consoles/mobile, those .inis are read only, so it will only affect that run of the game

Unreal Editor

• Brush cursor will no longer move in viewport while panning around in Material Editor
    • Child nodes can now be individually added to favorites in the properties pane
    • Holding down ctrl to spectate ‘Play in editor’ now works properly
    • In Geometry mode, Brush Clipping and Pen mode now draws the grid snap box again
    • Removed “Merge Static Meshes” option from right click menu, use Group’s Merge option instead
    • Sound Actor’s Sound Cues can now be found in the Content Browser
    • The content browser now keeps focus after loading/unloading switches
    • Converting a brush to a static mesh now places the pivot of the static mesh in the center of the mesh, rather than at the origin
      • Unless there are multiple brushes selected
      • This also now applies to Exporting the brush as well

• Added support for multiple search terms to Content Browser’s Package List search box
    • Fixed post process effects on scene captures
    • Fixed an issue that prevented the color picker from updating the property window when values where typed into various color picker controls

OpenAutomate Integration

Mobile

• Added DrawTimer to Canvas - it draws a “piechart” type of icon, can indicate time passing, etc.
    • Added better save game encryption support
    • Added support for background (iPod) music (bUsingBackgroundMusic)
    • Added support for showing built in SMS and Mail dialog
    • Improved memory situation on low end devices by tossing unused high detail assets
    • Added partial achievement unlocking (defaults to 100, but can be used on platforms that support incremental completion on the server, like GameCenter)
    • Added an animation option to allow some nodes to tick while paused
    • Added ProcessWorldTouch to MobilePlayerInput to Handle touch events in the 3D world
    • Auto-Reconnect in UnrealConsole now works with iOS

New and Updated UDN Pages

Last edited by rexoli; 07-26-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Redeemer

That's great news !

Redeemer

Perforce has been always part of UDK, I am actually using it with May's version. I'm wondering whether there is a difference? Otherwise I'll just pass.
    Hamad Al-Hasan
    Gameplay Programmer / Technical Artist
    Portfolio: http://www.alhasanstudio.com/

Projects: Medieval Zombie Demo - zBioBlow - 2013: Infected Wars

UDK Version: Feb-2013
    Intel Core i7 960 3.2 GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad Core CPU
    12 GB DDR3 Mushkin PC3-12800 998959 (6 x 2048MB) 6-9-7-24 1.65V Blackline
    ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    EVGA GTX 580 1.5 GB GDDR5 - Driver Version: 296.10

MSgt. Shooter Person

Did you fix the Intel HD 3000 issues, so I can install the latest driver? (:

Iron Guard

This is awesome, the new support for xNormal is amazing ! <3<3<3
    Sorry for my bad English, it's not my native language.
    ---
    Twitter- LinkedIn - !Portfolio! - !Personnal project : EXIL!

God King

Quote Originally Posted by seenooh View Post
    Perforce has been always part of UDK, I am actually using it with May's version. I'm wondering whether there is a difference? Otherwise I'll just pass.
    The difference is that Perforce Client and Server are now included directly in the UDK installer and easy to set up for a team that way. UDK users basically get a version control system without really needing to bother about.
    Our Loop, which art in source code, hallowed be thy keyword.
    Thy condition come, thy instruction be done, in RAM as it is in cache.
    Increment us this day our daily counter,
    and forgive us our typos, as we also have forgiven our compilers.
    And lead us not to the nullpointer but deliver us from bugs.
    For thine is the API, the GUI, and the CLI while(true).
    Semicolon;
    Please don't send me questions about how to do something in the UDK via PM. That is better discussed in the forums and we only have limited PM storage.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Woo Hoo! Thank you epic!
    Renegade X - Lead Artist / Producer
    3D Artist - Online Portfolio

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: daimakupikoro PSN ID: lone_vampire

thanks, downloading right now !!!
    http://vincenzoravo.vrs.com.ve http://www.slaughtermaze.com

please don't fill my inbox with questions, ask in the forum, the answers will help you and others !!!

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
    The difference is that Perforce Client and Server are now included directly in the UDK installer and easy to set up for a team that way. UDK users basically get a version control system without really needing to bother about.
    Ohh ok! Those are available from Perforce's website too. But really, it was a great boost to my small team to have Perforce.
    Hamad Al-Hasan

God King
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: tegleg digital

yay it works!

thanks epic
    Code:
    We.spazmodicaly.simulate.new.sound.with.technical.equipment.that.is.specificaly.manufactured.for.humans.to.communicate.in.outer.space.Tegleg.manipulates.time.and.space.to.create.new.experiences.to.generate.a.hardcore.database.generation.
    LOOK>> Please ask questions in the forum, NOT a private message <<LOOK
    tegleg.co.uk
    My Tutorials n Stuff
    Games: NEW! Tegs Playground Multiplayer Edition
    Unwheel2 - VCTF Game - Sponic Mesh 3D
    Shh.. dont tell anyone about my android apps.
    will code for money

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hmm, it appears there is still a problem with casting light map shadows with masked materials.
    Renegade X - Lead Artist / Producer
    3D Artist - Online Portfolio

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DAOWAce PSN ID: DAOWAce

That's it?

It's been changed to a bi-monthly release schedule and the last 2 releases have been lackluster.

I continue to be disappointed.

Prisoner 849

Quote Originally Posted by DAOWAce View Post
    That's it?

It's been changed to a bi-monthly release schedule and the last 2 releases have been lackluster.

UE3 is pretty much on end of development cycle.
    Time between new releases will be increasing.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Yeah, I would guess that a team of one or two has been working on bug removal and polish while everyone else has transitioned to the new engine. So keep submitting those bug reports.

God King

That's it?

Maybe there's a new upcoming feature that they have been working on but which didn't make it in time for this release. Who knows? :>

I don't see how one can be disappointed with this release. It's not like all those tiny changes can be pulled off that easily. Different normal map handling, fine-tuning the Perforce integration, that INI system, nVidia's performance check, improvements for mobile and bugfixes and small useful additions in general. Quite a nice packet, imho.

But hey, if you aren't happy with a great free engine that is still supported and regularly updated, just because it seems to you that only two guys are working on it… I mean it's not like you got anything worse than what you had last month now, or is it?
    Last edited by Crusha K. Rool; 07-26-2012 at 05:35 PM.
    Our Loop, which art in source code, hallowed be thy keyword.
    Thy condition come, thy instruction be done, in RAM as it is in cache.
    Increment us this day our daily counter,
    and forgive us our typos, as we also have forgiven our compilers.
    And lead us not to the nullpointer but deliver us from bugs.
    For thine is the API, the GUI, and the CLI while(true).
    Semicolon;
    Please don't send me questions about how to do something in the UDK via PM. That is better discussed in the forums and we only have limited PM storage.

Redeemer

That's it?

I don't get why some don't appreciate the fact that you're using the best professional game engine for free with very reasonable licensing terms. Dude, if Epic didn't make the decision to release UDK in the first place, you will be a homeless developer skimming through those inferior engines out there.
    Hamad Al-Hasan

MSgt. Shooter Person

YAY thank you EPIC, works great on my end so far, perforce all setup, this is nice
    Current Projects:
    Nocturnal Conventicle
    Narcotic Pursuit
    The Office
    Devils Triangle

join us on the IRC , we use irc.gamesurge.net and the room is #UDKC
    (っ◕‿◕)っ _____ ܔ(๏̯͡๏)
    Specs: gtx 670 - i7 - 32gb ram - Samsung 840 Evo - Win 8 Pro

Thanks Epic

Marrow Fiend

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KickedWhoCares

Quote Originally Posted by seenooh View Post
    I don't get why some don't appreciate the fact that you're using the best professional game engine for free with very reasonable licensing terms. Dude, if Epic didn't make the decision to release UDK in the first place, you will be a homeless developer skimming through those inferior engines out there.
    Huuge +1, Epic doesn't have to do all this for us but they do so a big thanks to Epic for the continued support all these years

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by MonsOlympus View Post
    Huuge +1, Epic doesn't have to do all this for us but they do so a big thanks to Epic for the continued support all these years
    Mons is right, Epic doesn't have to do this for us, so i should also give a big thanks to Epic for creating UDK and supporting it and updating it

God King
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: tegleg digital

after a full day of using this build it is much much more stable than the last one.
    it has even started to look like its going to crash but then pulls itsself back and carries on working.
    still get random frame drops but the general framerate is steady, not gradually dropping as before.
    and my gfx card runs a little cooler too.

nice work mr epic
    keep fixing those bugs please.
    Code:
    We.spazmodicaly.simulate.new.sound.with.technical.equipment.that.is.specificaly.manufactured.for.humans.to.communicate.in.outer.space.Tegleg.manipulates.time.and.space.to.create.new.experiences.to.generate.a.hardcore.database.generation.
    LOOK>> Please ask questions in the forum, NOT a private message <<LOOK
    tegleg.co.uk
    My Tutorials n Stuff
    Games: NEW! Tegs Playground Multiplayer Edition
    Unwheel2 - VCTF Game - Sponic Mesh 3D
    Shh.. dont tell anyone about my android apps.
    will code for money

Thanks guys!!

+1

landscape self-shadowing seems to be back in, gj

very thanks epic.!
    is this version of udk with demo editor of UE4?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by MDEnvironmentArtis View Post
    very thanks epic.!
    is this version of udk with demo editor of UE4?
    that would be a long while in my guess, its ue3/udk still, and works great I might add
    Current Projects:
    Nocturnal Conventicle
    Narcotic Pursuit
    The Office
    Devils Triangle

join us on the IRC , we use irc.gamesurge.net and the room is #UDKC
    (っ◕‿◕)っ _____ ܔ(๏̯͡๏)
    Specs: gtx 670 - i7 - 32gb ram - Samsung 840 Evo - Win 8 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by MonsOlympus View Post
    It's not like they're running a charity for developers or is it?
    It's not that I really know but my guess (and a good one I would imagine) is that it's a business model adopted to bring in more money.

Makes me wonder how well did it go for them and how keen will they be on doing the same with UE4.
    Last edited by Pirs01; 08-10-2012 at 08:18 AM.

God King

It seems to be working extremely well, I'm sure they discussed this over and over again pertaining to the huge failure rate this will bring. However, even the companies that do succeed get massive support by Epic. Whether its simply to make more money, its still helping out many Indie developers. I'm sure many Indie dev's don't care much for Epics big money plan ( however, I cannot speak for them, stricltly my opinion ). It makes alot of people happy. The number of successes is small, but those successes have been really big.

Sure, I wasn't trying to demonize them. I was just making the point that they're running a business and so the success of it will determine whether they continue this approach with UE4.

No doubt they have empowered the Indie scene immensely and made a lot of people happy including myself.

Iron Guard

They will do the same for ue4 but the c++ might not be in Udk and developing for consoles will always be unavalible to indie developers

There isn't suppose to be a scripting language. I'm sure they won't implement one just to be able to release udk like version.
    Then again they won't release they're engine source just like that. My guess is that parts of code would be exposed while core functionality would be compiled - no source.

EDIT: Why so certain about them doing the same for ue4? Did they say that?
    Last edited by Pirs01; 08-10-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Iron Guard

They will eventually ok so lets say ue3 started being avalible in 2006 then The first udk arrived In 2009 for indie developers
    I think if all the tools like unreal frontend are being merged into vs or the editor then it could arrive earlier then all they have to do is remove console dlls and hide unrealprop

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DeadFenix1989

Public Demo of UE4 at GDC Europe

Join us for the first non-NDA public real-time demo of Unreal Engine 4 given at GDC Europe, August 13-15 in Cologne, Germany.

Epic Games Senior Technical Artist, Alan Willard, will walk-through the tools, visual features and architecture behind Unreal Engine 4’s unprecedented graphical capabilities and workflow improvements. For additional information, please visit http://www.unrealengine.com/.
    So, where? Or When?
    • Darkness... ...You afraid? I'm not. The Dark is afraid of me.
    • Our private millitary is renowned for its courage, not only to fight the good fight, but to win it.
    • All those... moments will be lost in time, like tears... in rain.
    • In the meantime... this is where I get off.
    • I've come too far. Too far. I'm too close.

Redeemer

Any chance of getting a fix for the Landscape Holes feature?