View Poll Results: How Would You Rate This Idea?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very Good

2 22.22%
  • Good

1 11.11%
  • Ok

3 33.33%
  • Bad

1 11.11%
  • Very Bad

2 22.22%
    MSgt. Shooter Person

Default An Idea I Had For Prequel.

Version 1.02
    I decided to call this Gears Of War:Going Rogue unless someone thinks of a better name

This is just an idea I had for a prequel to gears. First off I would just like to state that I do not follow the gears of war franchise much outside of the games however if there are large canon flaws please let me know.
    The story takes place sometime relatively early in the human/locust war probably shortly before gears 1, and will follow a single cog squad (who I will refer to as squad X for the sake of this thread) which has 5 soldiers in it, 2 of them have been fighting together since the pendulum wars and 3 came to the squad during the human/locust war. Here is a list of them

Squad leader: An elite sniper from the pendulum wars.

2nd member: The squad leaders wingman that was initially taught how to fight by the squad leader, and respects him deeply, a normal soldier with some sniping experience.

3rd member: A young member of the public who was saved during the pendulum wars by the squad leader, after he recovered his injuries he enlisted in the hope of returning the favour someday. Slightly limited combat experience.

4th member: A new recruit (can’t really think of much more right now.)

5th member: An orphan who was raised and kept safe by the cog during the pendulum and the human/locust war. He enlisted in order to defend those who had kept him safe.

Also the first 3 members of the squad are from the same city.

The story starts with the squad leader reading a newspaper which tells him that his hometown is under attack by the locust so he naturally wants to go to support the forces there. He is than informed by the squads CIC controller that him and his squad are to deploy somewhere else. He goes to the HQ and pleads with his superior to allow him to fight for his hometown. They tell him that they will not change the orders due to his personal attachment to the city. Anyway in typical gears of war fashion he disobeys his orders and lies to his squad about it (they still think they are following the correct orders) They arrive days later to find out that the cog have ordered a hammer strike on the city.

The squad leader is incensed and the other members of the squad start to question why they weren’t told about the strike. The Squad leader confesses that he disobeyed the orders and disabled communications to the CIC controller before they left( so they would assume they were dead). The Squad leader sees they are better off out here fighting locust than in prison so he tells them he’s going to go rogue and hopes his men will join him. The 2nd and 3rd members of the squad tell him that they would have done the same thing and will join him. The 4th member of the squad doesn’t agree with his actions but is willing to make the best of a bad situation and joins them. The 5th member tells them he is disgusted and is going to tell the cog they disobeyed and exactly where they are. He is promptly shot in the head by the squad leader.

The squad live to achieve two goals. The first is to kill the cog officer who lied to them about the reason he wasn’t allowed to fight. It wasn’t attachment it was because they were sacrificing the city (in squad X’s opinion they did not give the city a chance) and to kill locust.
    They only kill cog if they threaten to arrest them.

Because there has been no response the CIC controller launches an inquest into their disappearance (After a few days) the investigators find no sign of their transport and there have been no records of them reaching the place where they were ordered to go. Because they are in the middle of a war they decide to go with their transport fell off a cliff or was surprise attacked by locust.

By now the rogue squad is now running low on food and water and bullets from skirmishes with the locust. They notice a small town that is inhabited by stranded having no other choice they enter whilst they are initially met with hostility one of leaders of the town recognises one of the squad from school and lets them stay. They tell their story and get accepted by the majority of the townsfolk.

Knowing that the squad leader is a bit of a loose cannon, the COG official rejects the verdict of the inquest and secretly starts sending search teams to find them. After a few days the cog uncover the town and start searching the search takes place in the night whilst the squad are asleep, they are informed by one of the townsfolk of the COGs presence they get up and start to run but end up face to face with a gear
    Squad leader, pointing his longshot at the gears head
    “Call out to your squad and I’ll blow your face off”
    The gear initially panics then surprisingly shouts
    “It’s them”
    He is shot and the team narrowly evades capture and flee the town.

They are branded by the COG as traitors and terrorists and many wanted posters and billboards are put up for them with increasing rewards offered daily for their capture.
    They drift from town to town for a while avoiding the COG and the locust when they see a gear fighting some locust solo and help out.
    “You’re that gear killer, why are you helping me?”
    The squad leader replies “Don’t listen to everything the COG tell you”

They use him to find out what the cogs movements and where the locust are (through his CIC controller) and he stays with them as a hostage for a while until he is killed.

Low on supplies the squad realise they are close to the orphanage where the 5th squad member was from they are feeling guilty but also need help so they go there and see the children playing on the front playground The children recognise him from before the squad departed and herald him as a war hero but question why their friend hasn’t returned he doesn’t know what to tell them so he tells them that he was assigned to another squad whilst on their travels and that he is a very brave gear. The children aspire to be the same as the squad leader and that kind of saddens him.

The woman who runs the orphanage steps out and invites them inside and makes them a drink.
    “Let’s not beat around the bush here, I’ve seen the wanted posters, murderers and traitors they say, high rewards.”
    “They are the COG”
    “Care to explain how one of the most elite squads came to be the COGs most wanted criminals, and where’s (haven’t named him yet)”
    “Dead, Grinder killed him”
    “That’s a shame, hope you didn’t tell the children that”
    “We didn’t, anyway our squad is wanted for a small misunderstanding that’s all”
    “I want to believe that but I’m having some trouble given the circumstances. Did you fulfil your promise?” (The promise was to look after and do whatever it takes to keep the 5th member alive and bring his body back for burial should he die)
    The squad leader stands up “I can’t lie to you anymore, He’s dead because I shot him I made the choice for the squad that we were to disobey orders as we could not defend our town. I came clean and he threatened to inform the COG, I panicked and I shot him. The COG didn’t give our town a chance and we chose to reject them. Don’t believe them we aren’t evil were just attempting to survive. Yes, not all our choices were the favourable to them but were killed 10 times more locust than we have COG.”

“Unfortunately, I have recently made a choice I now regret. The billboard says to notify COG on sight I panicked and called the HQ when I saw you an arrest team are on their way”
    “You what, don’t you see what you’ve done now we are going to have to kill more people.”
    A Gear steps through the door
    “Put the gun down (no name yet)”
    “Don’t be selfish now (no name yet) I am sorry but your few lives don’t outweigh those of all these men here that and the children don’t need to witness such violence”
    The squad leader drops his gun and as arrested along with his squad.
    They are taken to a nearby fort and thrown in the cells with a jailer ordered to watch over them no matter what. At night the locust attack
    “Jailer” the Squad leader calls out.
    “What now”
    “You may not like it, the whole COG may not like it, but there’s no way anyone is going to survive this attack if you don’t let us out and let us help you.”
    “Not likely I’d rather we all die”
    “I know the rules you can only allow me to die after a death sentence has been assigned in a court of law”
    “Who would know?”
    An announcement on the PA system comes through telling them the forces are losing the battle at the part of town the orphanage is in
    “That’s where the orphanage is let us go were the only hope those children have got”
    “No” the jailer walks away. Then comes back a second later
    “Fine but for the children only you don’t deserve to live. Your gear is in the armoury last I know but that’s in locust territory”
    “God have mercy on anyone if they stole my longshot”
    “That beat up old thing, doubt anyone would want that” The team gets there gear, saves some of the children and is a large part in holding the locust off.

The leader of the base walks up
    “I don’t understand your motivations but I can’t deny the fact that you were a critical part in our victory and you killed a lot of locust tonight. I’m supposed to arrest you but I’ll tell you what, I’ll give you a 1 hour head start on us.”
    “Only 1 hour”
    “Youd better start running”
    The Rogues evade the COG.

Again low on supplies the rogue squad decide they have no choice but to tell their own CIC controller what happened and try to get their CIC controller to slip them some supplies. The CIC controller agrees and after a while of slowly advancing towards the HQ the COG official bursts in during one of the communications to the rogue squad.

“So aiding and abetting traitors I see” He then shoves the Controller across the room and comes on the microphone himself.
    “I gotta confess as to why I didn’t give your town much of a chance. It was because it honestly isn’t worth defending and you were much too valuable an asset to waste on that cesspit”
    “Son of a *****” The squad leader replies
    “Ive dispatched an arrest team to your exact location. I am now going to get some popcorn ready for the trial”
    4 of the squad are killed by the arrest team only the Squad leader remains he survives to assassinate the official at a later date but that leaves him staring down the barrel of multiple cog lancers.
    At this point the player would be given a choice suicide or capture.

I will probably add to this as I get more Ideas. Also feel free to contribute your own ideas to the story and charachters.
    Last edited by MIST GHILLIE; 07-12-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    I hate the word Adapt when it is used in the context of shooters. All it is is a bad justification for when your favorite weapon is onto a good thing. Near launch all the sawed off fans were saying adapt to the gnasher community. After the sawed off was nerfed the sawed off community complained and guess what the gnasher fans were saying.... thats right adapt.Please take the time to read this thread
    http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...ad-For-Prequel

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KoS Killshot

It sounds like a great idea so far. Might not happen, but I hope Epic does something like this!

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Clone Recon

sounds pretty good

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by KoS Killshot View Post
    It sounds like a great idea so far. Might not happen, but I hope Epic does something like this!
    Thanks man, I really like the idea of a rogue agent or squad the reason is that their is a morality to it, in order to keep going even if the rogue is on the side of good, allies must die.
    I hate the word Adapt when it is used in the context of shooters. All it is is a bad justification for when your favorite weapon is onto a good thing. Near launch all the sawed off fans were saying adapt to the gnasher community. After the sawed off was nerfed the sawed off community complained and guess what the gnasher fans were saying.... thats right adapt.Please take the time to read this thread

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheEternalKira

I do like it but I've never really been much a fan of teammates killing each other, always feels like such a waste of a character to me. Unless it's a very well done betrayal.
    (Formerly rebeltrooper123) "You want me to give you a code, AND ADD YOU?!?!? Who do you think I am, Jesus?!?!?" -Tkavil3

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by rebelboy View Post
    I do like it but I've never really been much a fan of teammates killing each other, always feels like such a waste of a character to me. Unless it's a very well done betrayal.
    Yeah I can see your point of view but I put that in so the rogues would have to make their first tough decision and commit their first act of brutality early on.

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheEternalKira

Quote Originally Posted by MIST GHILLIE View Post
    Yeah I can see your point of view but I put that in so the rogues would have to make their first tough decision and commit their first act of brutality early on.
    I like how original it is though, I wouldn't have expected them to kill the orphan of all people first because orphan characters are usually made to be survive quite a lot of stuff thrown at them in fiction, but it makes more sense now because I accidentally skipped the part about him being saved and raised by the COG thus quite loyal.
    (Formerly rebeltrooper123) "You want me to give you a code, AND ADD YOU?!?!? Who do you think I am, Jesus?!?!?" -Tkavil3

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by rebelboy View Post
    I like how original it is though, I wouldn't have expected them to kill the orphan of all people first because orphan characters are usually made to be survive quite a lot of stuff thrown at them in fiction, but it makes more sense now because I accidentally skipped the part about him being saved and raised by the COG thus quite loyal.
    You have given me a great idea for version 1.02. I do agree that the betrayal needs to be more deep so I am going to have at some point the Rogues end up at the orphanage and have to end up admitting the truth to the woman who runs it.
    Also do you know anyone who can do digital art I have a good idea for a logo but I can't do it myself ,Its basically a smashed cog symbol.
    I dont have time now but be expecting version 1.02 sometime beteween 6-11 london time zone.
    Last edited by MIST GHILLIE; 07-12-2012 at 04:08 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Version 1.02 out now version 1.03 shold be coming soon a day or two

MSgt. Shooter Person

Man, Im really not feeling that poll right now. Its sorta annoying that 3 people think my idea is bad but havent told me why, as Ive only recieved positive replys.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Well judgements coming but maybe this could be a good read or short like halo 3 odst