Results 1 to 32 of 32
  1. #1
    Marrow Fiend
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,279
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Black RL

    Default Gnasher, should the Gears 1 random spread return?

    Hi Gears heads

    Been reading the forums and it's interesting to see how people talk about the gnasher so passionately. People love the gnasher battles, specially the ones from Gears 1, they want them back but some things are gone or changed from Gears 1, things like:

    -Stopping power
    -Lag (part of it anyways)
    -Host power (part of it anyways)
    -Random spread (in Gears 1 the spread was random, in Gears 2 and 3 the spread is always the same, you can test in a wall to see)

    It seems stopping power is going to be removed from the next game, so the question is, should the random spread make a comeback? Or do you all prefer to exactly know where your pellets land?

    I'm not sure myself, I like the random/hard/luck/skill feeling of Gears 1 battles but I also like to control my gun, so, what do you guys think about this?
    Want to have a good laugh? Check my Gears memes thread!

    Rush fast, die faster.

    Bring back Locust!!!

  2. #2
    Marrow Fiend
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,484
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Zaxuk

    Default

    Hope they keep it non-random. However what is this about stopping power being removed?

  3. #3
    Marrow Fiend
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,279
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Black RL

    Default

    It seems ZETA settings in Gears 3 mp is testing the removal of stopping power and it's effects.

    EDIT: your signature is SPOT ON mate.
    Last edited by Black RL; 07-03-2012 at 01:09 PM.
    Want to have a good laugh? Check my Gears memes thread!

    Rush fast, die faster.

    Bring back Locust!!!

  4. #4
    He who must not be named...


    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    30,140
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: TAO Devil

    Default

    Hell. NO.

    The random spread was HORRIBLE. At least with the consistent spread, it's pretty much even. With the random spread, one shot could down you, while they might take 4 shots.

    @Zal: Stopping power is gone.
    That was Zen, This is TAO
    Ranked #1 in the World for AWESOMENESS!

    Follow me @TAO_Devil Follow my Gaming Blog @DevilsGameroom or view the site The Devils Gameroom
    GzB Baby! WHOOOO! EGFC Member
    First member to ever hit 30,000 posts. I am He Who Must Not Be Named

  5. #5
    Marrow Fiend
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,484
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Zaxuk

    Default

    Random spread is a no-go for me. Elements of randomness don't belong in shooters.

  6. #6
    Marrow Fiend
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,279
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Black RL

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TAO Devil View Post
    The random spread was HORRIBLE. At least with the consistent spread, it's pretty much even. With the random spread, one shot could down you, while they might take 4 shots.
    True! But wasn't this exact horrible thing that contributed for awesome gnasher battles? Interesting no?
    Want to have a good laugh? Check my Gears memes thread!

    Rush fast, die faster.

    Bring back Locust!!!

  7. #7
    He who must not be named...


    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    30,140
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: TAO Devil

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black RL View Post
    True! But wasn't this exact horrible thing that contributed for awesome gnasher battles? Interesting no?
    Not in the slightest. They were a severe point of frustration. When I go back to play gears 1, the gnasher is beyond disappointing. Consistent spread was a HUGE step in the right direction.
    That was Zen, This is TAO
    Ranked #1 in the World for AWESOMENESS!

    Follow me @TAO_Devil Follow my Gaming Blog @DevilsGameroom or view the site The Devils Gameroom
    GzB Baby! WHOOOO! EGFC Member
    First member to ever hit 30,000 posts. I am He Who Must Not Be Named

  8. #8
    Marrow Fiend
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,279
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Black RL

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TAO Devil View Post
    Not in the slightest. They were a severe point of frustration. When I go back to play gears 1, the gnasher is beyond disappointing. Consistent spread was a HUGE step in the right direction.
    Ehehehehhehe also true!

    But tell me, just for the record, you reckon that random spread contributed for gnasher "dancing around" battles? Right?
    Want to have a good laugh? Check my Gears memes thread!

    Rush fast, die faster.

    Bring back Locust!!!

  9. #9
    He who must not be named...


    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    30,140
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: TAO Devil

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black RL View Post
    Ehehehehhehe also true!

    But tell me, just for the record, you reckon that random spread contributed for gnasher "dancing around" battles? Right?
    oh definitely. but it also was the reason two-piece was adopted. took the random away.
    That was Zen, This is TAO
    Ranked #1 in the World for AWESOMENESS!

    Follow me @TAO_Devil Follow my Gaming Blog @DevilsGameroom or view the site The Devils Gameroom
    GzB Baby! WHOOOO! EGFC Member
    First member to ever hit 30,000 posts. I am He Who Must Not Be Named

  10. #10
    Marrow Fiend
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,279
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Black RL

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TAO Devil View Post
    oh definitely. but it also was the reason two-piece was adopted. took the random away.
    Not always, but in some cases it's true yes.

    Anyway, that's why I'm always saying that Gears 1 will not happen again, because the conditions that made him unique are gone. People want the battles back but they don't want what caused them in the first place back. I'm not saying that I want that factors back or that they were right or that Gears 1 is better, I'm just showing some interesting facts
    Want to have a good laugh? Check my Gears memes thread!

    Rush fast, die faster.

    Bring back Locust!!!

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5,783

    Default

    The Gears 1 headshots were funny but it was aggravating to point blank someone 2 times and they beat you down.
    \\★//ℳ ℭᴀʀᴍɪɴᴇ \\★//
    RANK: \\★// 61 Judgment:31----- YouTube------>Youtube.com/prodigyur Twitter------>https://twitter.com/Im_Mike_
    Member of the old Guard

  12. #12
    Marrow Fiend
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,279
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Black RL

    Default

    Yeah, true! Good times! Eheheheheheeheh ^^
    Want to have a good laugh? Check my Gears memes thread!

    Rush fast, die faster.

    Bring back Locust!!!

  13. #13
    Boomshot
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    London - At the Riffraff, blazing up - The light bulb is on, and burning brightly for the masses
    Posts
    2,517
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Cryra TDS

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TAO Devil View Post
    Hell. NO.

    The random spread was HORRIBLE. At least with the consistent spread, it's pretty much even. With the random spread, one shot could down you, while they might take 4 shots.

    @Zal: Stopping power is gone.
    No way? Really? Brilliant news!
    Find me on Twitter - @ProjectCryra


  14. #14
    Redeemer
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,354
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: A S S IM A IN

    Default

    I don't know if the random spread is a good thing. The point to take into account is the strength of the rifles has changed from gears 1 to gears 3. You need to give the gnasher a set amount of damage at whatever range. If someone is using a rifle at mid range and you are trying to shoot them with your random spread gnasher, no chance in hell you will get them. And yes I know you shouldn't be using the gnasher at mid range, I'm just saying hypothetically, it will be weaker in comparison to every rifle by a lot.

    Secondly, rather than the random spread, I would prefer there to be a nerf and less of an active damage boost. If this happened, you wouldn't get shot from like 5 feet away and get full red. Gnasher battles need to be like this:

    -if you are point blank or near point blank, high chance of gibbing.

    -if you are at like 3-5 feet, 2-3 shots to down

    -if you are at like 5-7 feet, 4-5 shots to down

    Perhaps I'm a little off, or completely off, but I think this would bring back those awesome gnasher battles, because it's got nothing to do with skill anymore, just who lands that first, deadly shot.
    A S S IM A IN
    Carry me. I stink.
    Read this thread for the truth.
    http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...the+op+gnasher

  15. #15
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    167
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: presc1ence

    Default

    But Gears 1 didn't have a random spread though. On any of the weapons as far as i can remember.

    Gears 2 did, hence (as someone pointed out) the rise of the reverse two piece (punchy-shooty). Making it consistent again is a large part of what keeps me in gears now. G2's punchy randomness is what ruined it for me, and was actually the gears that implemented randomness into ALL blind-firing (also ruining blind-fire sniping).

    Anyways all the blind fires should re-gain there consistency and the gnasher should keep it.

  16. #16
    Veteran

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    6,059
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: WaldoRtk7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryra View Post
    No way? Really? Brilliant news!
    http://www.gearscon.com/2012/06/gear...t-full-review/ Read the bottom portion
    The Sons of Sera:
    The Ruins of D'lanor
    [ My Fan Fic ]

    "People Shouldn't Be Afraid Of Their Governments,
    Governments Should Fear Their People!"

  17. #17
    He who must not be named...


    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    30,140
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: TAO Devil

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by not presc1ence View Post
    But Gears 1 didn't have a random spread though. On any of the weapons as far as i can remember.

    Gears 2 did, hence (as someone pointed out) the rise of the reverse two piece (punchy-shooty). Making it consistent again is a large part of what keeps me in gears now. G2's punchy randomness is what ruined it for me, and was actually the gears that implemented randomness into ALL blind-firing (also ruining blind-fire sniping).

    Anyways all the blind fires should re-gain there consistency and the gnasher should keep it.
    You're kidding right? Gears 1 gnasher had a random spread every time you shot. Gears 2 did not.
    That was Zen, This is TAO
    Ranked #1 in the World for AWESOMENESS!

    Follow me @TAO_Devil Follow my Gaming Blog @DevilsGameroom or view the site The Devils Gameroom
    GzB Baby! WHOOOO! EGFC Member
    First member to ever hit 30,000 posts. I am He Who Must Not Be Named

  18. #18
    Boomshot
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    London - At the Riffraff, blazing up - The light bulb is on, and burning brightly for the masses
    Posts
    2,517
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Cryra TDS

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WaldoRtk7 View Post
    "Stopping Power is Removed: We can confirm that stopping power was not in OverRun. The Lancer Assault did not slow down your opponents when they were rushing towards you."

    Ahhhh! Pretty happy right now : )
    Thanks for the link mate.
    Find me on Twitter - @ProjectCryra


  19. #19
    Palace Guard
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The rainy UK.
    Posts
    3,547
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: BananaKrazy

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by not presc1ence View Post
    But Gears 1 didn't have a random spread though. On any of the weapons as far as i can remember.

    Gears 2 did, hence (as someone pointed out) the rise of the reverse two piece (punchy-shooty). Making it consistent again is a large part of what keeps me in gears now. G2's punchy randomness is what ruined it for me, and was actually the gears that implemented randomness into ALL blind-firing (also ruining blind-fire sniping).

    Anyways all the blind fires should re-gain there consistency and the gnasher should keep it.
    Other way round dude - Gears 1 was random, Gears 2 wasn't, it was just inconsistent.

    I don't think I fancy the sound of more random spread, it just seems to put a focus on pot luck as opposed to actually playing well all the time. I'll pass on this one Black.


    "My Kryll bring all the Berserkers to the yard, and they're like, I beat you on insane it's not hard" - General Raam ft. Berserker.




  20. #20
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    5,923
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: RAAMzilla

    Default

    I don't really fancy the sound of ANYTHING being Random in game as intensely competitive as Gears of War.
    Quote Originally Posted by v i t z View Post
    bAAstard.

  21. #21
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    423
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: I 2rue Demon I

    Default

    No the gears 1 gnasher was so inconsistent. You could headshot some one without even aiming at them.
    Gears of war: 1250/1250
    Gears of war 2: 1750/1750
    Gears of war 3: 1900/2000 Level 400
    Gold Gnasher/Gold Lancer

  22. #22
    Marrow Fiend
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,279
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Black RL

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Locust BarmyArmy View Post
    Other way round dude - Gears 1 was random, Gears 2 wasn't, it was just inconsistent.

    I don't think I fancy the sound of more random spread, it just seems to put a focus on pot luck as opposed to actually playing well all the time. I'll pass on this one Black.
    No problem mate, this is just to see people ideas and to have a good debate.

    Again, it's interesting to see how people want the Gears 1 gnasher battles but don't want what caused them, not saying that I want it, just pointing out funny facts

    Gears 1 will stay in our memories, that's all.
    Want to have a good laugh? Check my Gears memes thread!

    Rush fast, die faster.

    Bring back Locust!!!

  23. #23
    Seriously...
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,169
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: SQuirrel147

    Default

    If it means it doesn't 2 shot down at long ranges. Hell even in CQC it shouldn't down in 2 shots. IDC what they do. Random spread wouldn't bother me. But it's not the only way to reduce it's range.

    The reason that Gears 1 Gnasher battles are so fun is because usually, it took 3-4 shots to down, so most went for a gib. It has issues sometimes. Getting one-shot downed etc. But nothing that doesn't already happen in Gears 2/3's Gnasher. The length of Gnasher battles in Gears 1 is what made them fun. Plus the fact that it didn't really matter how many people were shooting you, unless they were in gib range.
    ~ SQ ~

    Yes I am looking forward to Judgment. But NOT because it's Gears.

  24. #24
    Marrow Fiend
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,279
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Black RL

    Default

    Exactly, and one of the contributors to that was the random spread because not all pellets would land. Now, with less lag and no random spread all pellets hit resulting in more one shot downs, one shot gibs, etc.
    Want to have a good laugh? Check my Gears memes thread!

    Rush fast, die faster.

    Bring back Locust!!!

  25. #25
    Seriously...
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,169
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: SQuirrel147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black RL View Post
    Exactly, and one of the contributors to that was the random spread because not all pellets would land. Now, with less lag and no random spread all pellets hit resulting in more one shot downs, one shot gibs, etc.
    That isn't to say you can't get the same experience with a non-random spread. Just reduce the damage each pellet does, add damage drop-off. I liked the Gears 1 Gnasher, I understand it had issues. But so do the Gears 2 and 3 Gnashers. I just find the Gears 1 Gnasher the least frustrating.
    ~ SQ ~

    Yes I am looking forward to Judgment. But NOT because it's Gears.

  26. #26
    Marrow Fiend
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,279
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Black RL

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SQuirrel147 View Post
    That isn't to say you can't get the same experience with a non-random spread. Just reduce the damage each pellet does, add damage drop-off. I liked the Gears 1 Gnasher, I understand it had issues. But so do the Gears 2 and 3 Gnashers. I just find the Gears 1 Gnasher the least frustrating.
    Problem is gib, how can you down damage and still have one shot gibs? Can you imagine a gnasher without one shot gibs? I know I can't.

    Gears 1 conditions aren't happening again soon
    Want to have a good laugh? Check my Gears memes thread!

    Rush fast, die faster.

    Bring back Locust!!!

  27. #27
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Britain, Britain, Britain
    Posts
    9,147

    Default

    Hey Black I haven't seen you post in a while.

    I'm not sure to be honest what made the Gears 1 shotgun battles so magical. Something seemed to work really well in terms of the shotgun rate of fire in relation to the character movement which led to some great strafey fights, not to mention the wallbouncey ones. One thing that seemed more prevalent in Gears 1 unless I'm imagining it is that the first shot often didn't do a great deal of damage, unless it was actived which was OP, whereas nowadays particularly in the second Gears people can hard-aim a very meaty shot in to you which pushes the fight greatly in their favour already even if they are bad with the shotgun. It was nice to have to land several accurate shots.
    Got GUNS do you wanna, take aim at each other?
    Got KNIVES have you seen 'em, in your backs where we keep 'em!
    Milky Idea's

  28. #28
    Seriously...
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,169
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: SQuirrel147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black RL View Post
    Problem is gib, how can you down damage and still have one shot gibs? Can you imagine a gnasher without one shot gibs? I know I can't.

    Gears 1 conditions aren't happening again soon
    That's why you reduce the damage outside of gib range. Look at it this way.

    [Gnasher}-[Gib=600]--[damage=220]---[Long range=30]--

    Pardon my horrible draw up. But as you can see, you can keep the Gnashers gib range at 600 damage (Max character health) but reduce the rest of it. Obviously the rest of the numbers are made up. But they can do this for the Gnasher I am pretty sure.
    ~ SQ ~

    Yes I am looking forward to Judgment. But NOT because it's Gears.

  29. #29
    Iron Guard
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    787
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: reapergameboss

    Default

    Have u used the gears 3 gnasher. Do u still believe its consistent pellets. Lmao just joking. Hell no to random pellets. I dont want to play russian roulette when trying to down someone. Im not very lucky lmao

  30. #30
    Marrow Fiend
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,279
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Black RL

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milky Pirate View Post
    Hey Black I haven't seen you post in a while.

    I'm not sure to be honest what made the Gears 1 shotgun battles so magical. Something seemed to work really well in terms of the shotgun rate of fire in relation to the character movement which led to some great strafey fights, not to mention the wallbouncey ones. One thing that seemed more prevalent in Gears 1 unless I'm imagining it is that the first shot often didn't do a great deal of damage, unless it was actived which was OP, whereas nowadays particularly in the second Gears people can hard-aim a very meaty shot in to you which pushes the fight greatly in their favour already even if they are bad with the shotgun. It was nice to have to land several accurate shots.
    Hey mate! Didn't had anything that important to say, Gears 3 is a pretty good game overall imo.

    Yes, thats what I talk in the op.

    Quote Originally Posted by SQuirrel147 View Post
    That's why you reduce the damage outside of gib range. Look at it this way.

    [Gnasher}-[Gib=600]--[damage=220]---[Long range=30]--

    Pardon my horrible draw up. But as you can see, you can keep the Gnashers gib range at 600 damage (Max character health) but reduce the rest of it. Obviously the rest of the numbers are made up. But they can do this for the Gnasher I am pretty sure.
    I understand your example, don't worry, problem is gnasher doesn't work with a cone of damage like the sos but with damage per pellets. When people talk about gib range what is really happening is that the opponent is so close and in aim that a certain amount of pellets, enough to instant kill, hit him.

    That's why I talk about the random spread, in Gears 1 the spread was random and that's one of the reasons the gib wouldn't happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by upsmadman View Post
    Have u used the gears 3 gnasher. Do u still believe its consistent pellets. Lmao just joking. Hell no to random pellets. I dont want to play russian roulette when trying to down someone. Im not very lucky lmao
    Yes! That's why I use the sos many times! LOL

    Just joking, but the gnasher can be frustrating at times. Russian roulette..... Reminds me of my childhood..... Ehehehehehehehe!
    Want to have a good laugh? Check my Gears memes thread!

    Rush fast, die faster.

    Bring back Locust!!!

  31. #31
    Marrow Fiend
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,279
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Black RL

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milky Pirate View Post
    Hey Black I haven't seen you post in a while.

    I'm not sure to be honest what made the Gears 1 shotgun battles so magical. Something seemed to work really well in terms of the shotgun rate of fire in relation to the character movement which led to some great strafey fights, not to mention the wallbouncey ones. One thing that seemed more prevalent in Gears 1 unless I'm imagining it is that the first shot often didn't do a great deal of damage, unless it was actived which was OP, whereas nowadays particularly in the second Gears people can hard-aim a very meaty shot in to you which pushes the fight greatly in their favour already even if they are bad with the shotgun. It was nice to have to land several accurate shots.
    Hey mate! Didn't had anything that important to say, Gears 3 is a pretty good game overall imo.

    Yes, thats what I talk in the op.

    Quote Originally Posted by SQuirrel147 View Post
    That's why you reduce the damage outside of gib range. Look at it this way.

    [Gnasher}-[Gib=600]--[damage=220]---[Long range=30]--

    Pardon my horrible draw up. But as you can see, you can keep the Gnashers gib range at 600 damage (Max character health) but reduce the rest of it. Obviously the rest of the numbers are made up. But they can do this for the Gnasher I am pretty sure.
    I understand your example, don't worry, problem is gnasher doesn't work with a cone of damage like the sos but with damage per pellets. When people talk about gib range what is really happening is that the opponent is so close and in aim that a certain amount of pellets, enough to instant kill, hit him.

    That's why I talk about the random spread, in Gears 1 the spread was random and that's one of the reasons the gib wouldn't happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by upsmadman View Post
    Have u used the gears 3 gnasher. Do u still believe its consistent pellets. Lmao just joking. Hell no to random pellets. I dont want to play russian roulette when trying to down someone. Im not very lucky lmao
    Yes! That's why I use the sos many times! LOL

    Just joking, but the gnasher can be frustrating at times. Russian roulette..... Reminds me of my childhood..... Ehehehehehehehe!
    Want to have a good laugh? Check my Gears memes thread!

    Rush fast, die faster.

    Bring back Locust!!!

  32. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    3,526
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Geo Zinx

    Default

    This covers my views.


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •