Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Black RL

Default Gnasher, should the Gears 1 random spread return?

Hi Gears heads

Been reading the forums and it's interesting to see how people talk about the gnasher so passionately. People love the gnasher battles, specially the ones from Gears 1, they want them back but some things are gone or changed from Gears 1, things like:

-Stopping power
    -Lag (part of it anyways)
    -Host power (part of it anyways)
    -Random spread (in Gears 1 the spread was random, in Gears 2 and 3 the spread is always the same, you can test in a wall to see)

It seems stopping power is going to be removed from the next game, so the question is, should the random spread make a comeback? Or do you all prefer to exactly know where your pellets land?

I'm not sure myself, I like the random/hard/luck/skill feeling of Gears 1 battles but I also like to control my gun, so, what do you guys think about this?
    Want to have a good laugh? Check my Gears memes thread!

Rush fast, die faster.

Bring back Locust!!!

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zaxuk

Hope they keep it non-random. However what is this about stopping power being removed?

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

It seems ZETA settings in Gears 3 mp is testing the removal of stopping power and it's effects.

EDIT: your signature is SPOT ON mate.
    Last edited by Black RL; 07-03-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Rush fast, die faster.

Bring back Locust!!!

He who must not be named...

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TAO Devil

Hell. NO.

The random spread was HORRIBLE. At least with the consistent spread, it's pretty much even. With the random spread, one shot could down you, while they might take 4 shots.

@Zal: Stopping power is gone.
    That was Zen, This is TAO
    Ranked #1 in the World for AWESOMENESS!

Follow me @TAO_Devil Follow my Gaming Blog @DevilsGameroom or view the site The Devils Gameroom
    GzB Baby! WHOOOO! EGFC Member
    First member to ever hit 30,000 posts. I am He Who Must Not Be Named

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zaxuk

Random spread is a no-go for me. Elements of randomness don't belong in shooters.

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by TAO Devil View Post
    The random spread was HORRIBLE. At least with the consistent spread, it's pretty much even. With the random spread, one shot could down you, while they might take 4 shots.
    True! But wasn't this exact horrible thing that contributed for awesome gnasher battles? Interesting no?

Rush fast, die faster.

Bring back Locust!!!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Black RL View Post
    True! But wasn't this exact horrible thing that contributed for awesome gnasher battles? Interesting no?
    Not in the slightest. They were a severe point of frustration. When I go back to play gears 1, the gnasher is beyond disappointing. Consistent spread was a HUGE step in the right direction.

Follow me @TAO_Devil Follow my Gaming Blog @DevilsGameroom or view the site The Devils Gameroom

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Not in the slightest. They were a severe point of frustration. When I go back to play gears 1, the gnasher is beyond disappointing. Consistent spread was a HUGE step in the right direction.
    Ehehehehhehe also true!

But tell me, just for the record, you reckon that random spread contributed for gnasher "dancing around" battles? Right?

Rush fast, die faster.

Bring back Locust!!!

Gamer IDs

Ehehehehhehe also true!

But tell me, just for the record, you reckon that random spread contributed for gnasher "dancing around" battles? Right?
    oh definitely. but it also was the reason two-piece was adopted. took the random away.

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

oh definitely. but it also was the reason two-piece was adopted. took the random away.
    Not always, but in some cases it's true yes.

Anyway, that's why I'm always saying that Gears 1 will not happen again, because the conditions that made him unique are gone. People want the battles back but they don't want what caused them in the first place back. I'm not saying that I want that factors back or that they were right or that Gears 1 is better, I'm just showing some interesting facts

Rush fast, die faster.

Bring back Locust!!!

Veteran

The Gears 1 headshots were funny but it was aggravating to point blank someone 2 times and they beat you down.
    \\★//ℳ ℭᴀʀᴍɪɴᴇ \\★//
    RANK: \\★// 61 Judgment:31----- YouTube------>Youtube.com/prodigyur Twitter------>https://twitter.com/Im_Mike_
    Member of the old Guard

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Yeah, true! Good times! Eheheheheheeheh ^^

Rush fast, die faster.

Bring back Locust!!!

Boomshot
    London - At the Riffraff, blazing up - The light bulb is on, and burning brightly for the masses
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Cryra TDS

Hell. NO.

@Zal: Stopping power is gone.
    No way? Really? Brilliant news!
    Find me on Twitter - @ProjectCryra

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: A S S IM A IN

I don't know if the random spread is a good thing. The point to take into account is the strength of the rifles has changed from gears 1 to gears 3. You need to give the gnasher a set amount of damage at whatever range. If someone is using a rifle at mid range and you are trying to shoot them with your random spread gnasher, no chance in hell you will get them. And yes I know you shouldn't be using the gnasher at mid range, I'm just saying hypothetically, it will be weaker in comparison to every rifle by a lot.

Secondly, rather than the random spread, I would prefer there to be a nerf and less of an active damage boost. If this happened, you wouldn't get shot from like 5 feet away and get full red. Gnasher battles need to be like this:

-if you are point blank or near point blank, high chance of gibbing.

-if you are at like 3-5 feet, 2-3 shots to down

-if you are at like 5-7 feet, 4-5 shots to down

Perhaps I'm a little off, or completely off, but I think this would bring back those awesome gnasher battles, because it's got nothing to do with skill anymore, just who lands that first, deadly shot.
    A S S IM A IN
    Carry me. I stink.
    Read this thread for the truth.
    http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...the+op+gnasher

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: presc1ence

But Gears 1 didn't have a random spread though. On any of the weapons as far as i can remember.

Gears 2 did, hence (as someone pointed out) the rise of the reverse two piece (punchy-shooty). Making it consistent again is a large part of what keeps me in gears now. G2's punchy randomness is what ruined it for me, and was actually the gears that implemented randomness into ALL blind-firing (also ruining blind-fire sniping).

Anyways all the blind fires should re-gain there consistency and the gnasher should keep it.

Veteran

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WaldoRtk7

Quote Originally Posted by Cryra View Post
    No way? Really? Brilliant news!
    http://www.gearscon.com/2012/06/gear...t-full-review/ Read the bottom portion
    The Sons of Sera:
    The Ruins of D'lanor
    [ My Fan Fic ]

"People Shouldn't Be Afraid Of Their Governments,
    Governments Should Fear Their People!"

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by not presc1ence View Post
    But Gears 1 didn't have a random spread though. On any of the weapons as far as i can remember.

Gears 2 did, hence (as someone pointed out) the rise of the reverse two piece (punchy-shooty). Making it consistent again is a large part of what keeps me in gears now. G2's punchy randomness is what ruined it for me, and was actually the gears that implemented randomness into ALL blind-firing (also ruining blind-fire sniping).

Anyways all the blind fires should re-gain there consistency and the gnasher should keep it.
    You're kidding right? Gears 1 gnasher had a random spread every time you shot. Gears 2 did not.

Boomshot
    London - At the Riffraff, blazing up - The light bulb is on, and burning brightly for the masses
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Cryra TDS

Quote Originally Posted by WaldoRtk7 View Post
    "Stopping Power is Removed: We can confirm that stopping power was not in OverRun. The Lancer Assault did not slow down your opponents when they were rushing towards you."

Ahhhh! Pretty happy right now : )
    Thanks for the link mate.
    Find me on Twitter - @ProjectCryra

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BananaKrazy

Quote Originally Posted by not presc1ence View Post

Other way round dude - Gears 1 was random, Gears 2 wasn't, it was just inconsistent.

I don't think I fancy the sound of more random spread, it just seems to put a focus on pot luck as opposed to actually playing well all the time. I'll pass on this one Black.

"My Kryll bring all the Berserkers to the yard, and they're like, I beat you on insane it's not hard" - General Raam ft. Berserker.

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RAAMzilla

I don't really fancy the sound of ANYTHING being Random in game as intensely competitive as Gears of War.
    Quote Originally Posted by v i t z View Post
    bAAstard.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: I 2rue Demon I

No the gears 1 gnasher was so inconsistent. You could headshot some one without even aiming at them.
    Gears of war: 1250/1250
    Gears of war 2: 1750/1750
    Gears of war 3: 1900/2000 Level 400
    Gold Gnasher/Gold Lancer

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Locust BarmyArmy View Post
    Other way round dude - Gears 1 was random, Gears 2 wasn't, it was just inconsistent.

I don't think I fancy the sound of more random spread, it just seems to put a focus on pot luck as opposed to actually playing well all the time. I'll pass on this one Black.
    No problem mate, this is just to see people ideas and to have a good debate.

Again, it's interesting to see how people want the Gears 1 gnasher battles but don't want what caused them, not saying that I want it, just pointing out funny facts

Gears 1 will stay in our memories, that's all.

Rush fast, die faster.

Bring back Locust!!!

Seriously...
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SQuirrel147

If it means it doesn't 2 shot down at long ranges. Hell even in CQC it shouldn't down in 2 shots. IDC what they do. Random spread wouldn't bother me. But it's not the only way to reduce it's range.

The reason that Gears 1 Gnasher battles are so fun is because usually, it took 3-4 shots to down, so most went for a gib. It has issues sometimes. Getting one-shot downed etc. But nothing that doesn't already happen in Gears 2/3's Gnasher. The length of Gnasher battles in Gears 1 is what made them fun. Plus the fact that it didn't really matter how many people were shooting you, unless they were in gib range.
    ~ SQ ~

Yes I am looking forward to Judgment. But NOT because it's Gears.

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Exactly, and one of the contributors to that was the random spread because not all pellets would land. Now, with less lag and no random spread all pellets hit resulting in more one shot downs, one shot gibs, etc.

Rush fast, die faster.

Bring back Locust!!!

Seriously...
    Gamer IDs

Exactly, and one of the contributors to that was the random spread because not all pellets would land. Now, with less lag and no random spread all pellets hit resulting in more one shot downs, one shot gibs, etc.
    That isn't to say you can't get the same experience with a non-random spread. Just reduce the damage each pellet does, add damage drop-off. I liked the Gears 1 Gnasher, I understand it had issues. But so do the Gears 2 and 3 Gnashers. I just find the Gears 1 Gnasher the least frustrating.
    ~ SQ ~

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by SQuirrel147 View Post
    That isn't to say you can't get the same experience with a non-random spread. Just reduce the damage each pellet does, add damage drop-off. I liked the Gears 1 Gnasher, I understand it had issues. But so do the Gears 2 and 3 Gnashers. I just find the Gears 1 Gnasher the least frustrating.
    Problem is gib, how can you down damage and still have one shot gibs? Can you imagine a gnasher without one shot gibs? I know I can't.

Gears 1 conditions aren't happening again soon

Rush fast, die faster.

Bring back Locust!!!

Veteran

Hey Black I haven't seen you post in a while.

I'm not sure to be honest what made the Gears 1 shotgun battles so magical. Something seemed to work really well in terms of the shotgun rate of fire in relation to the character movement which led to some great strafey fights, not to mention the wallbouncey ones. One thing that seemed more prevalent in Gears 1 unless I'm imagining it is that the first shot often didn't do a great deal of damage, unless it was actived which was OP, whereas nowadays particularly in the second Gears people can hard-aim a very meaty shot in to you which pushes the fight greatly in their favour already even if they are bad with the shotgun. It was nice to have to land several accurate shots.
    Got GUNS do you wanna, take aim at each other?
    Got KNIVES have you seen 'em, in your backs where we keep 'em!
    Milky Idea's

Seriously...
    Gamer IDs

Problem is gib, how can you down damage and still have one shot gibs? Can you imagine a gnasher without one shot gibs? I know I can't.

Gears 1 conditions aren't happening again soon
    That's why you reduce the damage outside of gib range. Look at it this way.

[Gnasher}-[Gib=600]--[damage=220]---[Long range=30]--

Pardon my horrible draw up. But as you can see, you can keep the Gnashers gib range at 600 damage (Max character health) but reduce the rest of it. Obviously the rest of the numbers are made up. But they can do this for the Gnasher I am pretty sure.
    ~ SQ ~

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: reapergameboss

Have u used the gears 3 gnasher. Do u still believe its consistent pellets. Lmao just joking. Hell no to random pellets. I dont want to play russian roulette when trying to down someone. Im not very lucky lmao

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Pirate View Post

I'm not sure to be honest what made the Gears 1 shotgun battles so magical. Something seemed to work really well in terms of the shotgun rate of fire in relation to the character movement which led to some great strafey fights, not to mention the wallbouncey ones. One thing that seemed more prevalent in Gears 1 unless I'm imagining it is that the first shot often didn't do a great deal of damage, unless it was actived which was OP, whereas nowadays particularly in the second Gears people can hard-aim a very meaty shot in to you which pushes the fight greatly in their favour already even if they are bad with the shotgun. It was nice to have to land several accurate shots.
    Hey mate! Didn't had anything that important to say, Gears 3 is a pretty good game overall imo.

Yes, thats what I talk in the op.

Pardon my horrible draw up. But as you can see, you can keep the Gnashers gib range at 600 damage (Max character health) but reduce the rest of it. Obviously the rest of the numbers are made up. But they can do this for the Gnasher I am pretty sure.
    I understand your example, don't worry, problem is gnasher doesn't work with a cone of damage like the sos but with damage per pellets. When people talk about gib range what is really happening is that the opponent is so close and in aim that a certain amount of pellets, enough to instant kill, hit him.

That's why I talk about the random spread, in Gears 1 the spread was random and that's one of the reasons the gib wouldn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by upsmadman View Post
    Have u used the gears 3 gnasher. Do u still believe its consistent pellets. Lmao just joking. Hell no to random pellets. I dont want to play russian roulette when trying to down someone. Im not very lucky lmao
    Yes! That's why I use the sos many times! LOL

Just joking, but the gnasher can be frustrating at times. Russian roulette..... Reminds me of my childhood..... Ehehehehehehehe!

Rush fast, die faster.

Bring back Locust!!!

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Pirate View Post

Hey mate! Didn't had anything that important to say, Gears 3 is a pretty good game overall imo.

Yes, thats what I talk in the op.

I understand your example, don't worry, problem is gnasher doesn't work with a cone of damage like the sos but with damage per pellets. When people talk about gib range what is really happening is that the opponent is so close and in aim that a certain amount of pellets, enough to instant kill, hit him.

That's why I talk about the random spread, in Gears 1 the spread was random and that's one of the reasons the gib wouldn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by upsmadman View Post
    Yes! That's why I use the sos many times! LOL

Just joking, but the gnasher can be frustrating at times. Russian roulette..... Reminds me of my childhood..... Ehehehehehehehe!

Rush fast, die faster.

Bring back Locust!!!

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Geo Zinx

This covers my views.