MSgt. Shooter Person

Default How do you make an object do damage to players?

I'm making a level that has a spinning sawblade in one of the hallways, but the only way to get it to do damage is to use the AS_Touchdamage Trigger. My question is how to make it so that it'll do damage all of the time, as, when I'm testing the map out, it doesn't always seem to do damage to my character.

All help is appreciated!

God King

First of all, is it moving?
    If it is, I suggest you take a look at a tutorial about movable volumes. Then you just create a movable physics volume with it and add the damage amount you want to have and attach it to your mover/sawblade via attach tag.

If it is static, it will be enough to put a physics volume with damage around it.

EDIT: Here's Hazel H's tutorial.
    Last edited by Sly.; 06-28-2012 at 06:48 PM.
    A huge fan of the entire Unreal franchise and Bulletstorm.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Sly. View Post
    If it is static, it will be enough to put a physics volume with damage around it.
    Well I added a lava volume to each of my blades along the conveyor belt in one of my maps I am upgrading,etc... so each of them would do damage to anyone dumb enough to get pushed along the conveyor belt close to them.

God King

Yea, but the blades are not lava... A simple damage volume would be better.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I just now managed to get the sawblade capable of hitting someone on all sides, with one problem. When you approach one of the angles of the sawblade, or, more simply, one of the diagonal directions towards it, I was hit by invisible air, which is bad since I plan on the sawblade being a one hit kill trap in the level. Am I supposed to drop the width and height of the volume down, or is there some way to have the volume do damage as long as players/bots are touching it?