MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Is there a lightning gun fix around?

I was wondering if there is any fix for the UT2004 lightning gun? I can't find anything anywhere.
    If you are reading this quote, you have no life. Put this in your signature if you did not read this.
    Stinger Minigun+Flak Cannon=MASSACRE

My Mods: UT2003 Menu Music for UT2004

Are you referring to the bug with the Lightning Gun that crashes servers? If so I'd be interested in that as well.

God King

He probably refers to the Lightning Gun's one sided part/visual bug at its barrel. It is possible to fix it, Skred did it in the UCBP, it was one of the first things he did when he was improving the original skins (Translocator/Lightning Gun/Shield Gun). I'm not sure anymore how he did it (I think it was a combiner) and the thread is quite long, but he mentioned it there afaIk, sorry if I can't give you a clearer answer, maybe you would want to check it yourself and ask someone to code a mutator to replace the skin with the new one?
    Last edited by Sly.; 06-28-2012 at 05:59 PM.
    A huge fan of the entire Unreal franchise and Bulletstorm.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

Deathless

Quote Originally Posted by Sly. View Post
    He probably refers to the Lightning Gun's one sided part/visual bug at its barrel. It is possible to fix it, Skred did it in the UCBP, it was one of the first things he did when he was improving the original skins (Translocator/Lightning Gun/Shield Gun). I'm not sure anymore how he did it (I think it was a combiner) and the thread is quite long, but he mentioned it there afaIk, sorry if I can't give you a clearer answer, maybe you would want to check it yourself and ask someone to code a mutator to replace the skin with the new one?
    bTwoSided = true;

God King

Was it that? I thought that didn't work... *insert thoughtful emoticon here*

But now that you say it, I think you're right, I think he used in fact a shader with just bTwoSided = true...
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

What would I want to set bTwoSided to true? I want a fix so I don't have to use a mutator, for when playing the Single Player tournament or online.
    If you are reading this quote, you have no life. Put this in your signature if you did not read this.

God King

Quote Originally Posted by chrisl121212 View Post
    What would I want to set bTwoSided to true? I want a fix so I don't have to use a mutator, for when playing the Single Player tournament or online.
    Sorry, that is impossible. It would require editing of the original Lightning Gun code such as editing of an official package, that would break online compatibility.

S l y .

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Sly. View Post
    Sorry, that is impossible. It would require editing of the original Lightning Gun code such as editing of an official package, that would break online compatibility.
    I don't really play online anyways, ping is way too high. Is there a way to fix it and just play offline?

God King

A mutator is really the easiest way... Do you really mind it so much in the SP ladder?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    A mutator is really the easiest way... Do you really mind it so much in the SP ladder?
    Not really then. Is there a mutator to fix it?

Redeemer
    Metro Manila, Philippines, Southeast Asia

Dunno but temporary. Not sure how the lightning gun have issues with it on your own idea.

MSgt. Shooter Person

The twosided issue is what I'm talking about. It just looks really weird to me and bugs me.

God King

Yea, making a mutator for that should be simple. You need to find the texture that the weapon uses (from the animations tab), then create a shader in a new package and set it to be two-sided. Then create a simple mutator that sets the skin of all lightning guns to your custom one on CheckReplacement().

MSgt. Shooter Person

The Shock Rifle has the same issue.
    The top two panels are drawn one-sided.

What's the Lightning Gun crash issue?
    Does it crash with stock game types or custom game types only?
    "Those are tears, Jefferson!"
    @ModDB | @Twitter | @UnrealWiki

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Yea, making a mutator for that should be simple. You need to find the texture that the weapon uses (from the animations tab), then create a shader in a new package and set it to be two-sided. Then create a simple mutator that sets the skin of all lightning guns to your custom one on CheckReplacement().
    I have no UnrealEd experience. I'm still trying to learn how to make a simple level with the 3dbuzz tutorials. I know nothing about how to make mutators.

God King

Well, start off by finding the name of the texture in question.

well, i think i can do it, the only thing i don't understand is how can i edit SkeletalMesh?
    package with fixed texture - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/56263088/FixedLGTexture.utx
    and two .uc files with LG's script - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/56263088/classes.rar
    Last edited by UnShame; 07-04-2012 at 02:31 AM.

ok, i figured it out, but looks like setting the texture to TwoSided doesn't help at all

here's the FixedLG.u and ucl, summon the weapon in game using the command "summon FixedLG.FixedLGPickup"
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/56263088/fixedLg.rar
    so all you need now is just fix the texture

God King

Yeah, that. I'm now trying to fix the Lightning Gun texture for my UT2003Style mod, and just setting it to bTwoSided isn't working. I would examine this further, but I'm working off Linux, and through Wine I can't see the textures being applied, as none of the viewports move, so... That said, making a mutator that fixes the skins for every Lightning Gun (as well as every weapon base with misapplied textures) should be possible, and without conflicting with any mods. Just needs figuring out how to actually make this work. That said, are there any other weapons that need the two-sided treatment?

The UT2004 Shock Rifle also has issues with one-sided polys.